Dish supposedly adds 655,000 subs for Q2 2012

I've been waiting for YEARS. It seems Verizon has rolled out to a small portion of our suburban city (actually among the largest in terms of area compared to other cities in our county) and they STOPPED. All the Verizon vans advertise FiOS, and when I ask (and I've called Verizon as well) they confirm FiOS in a small pocket of our city, but not too likely to get to our end anytime soon. :(.

It's just so sad and frustrating that the only really good competition and ONLY other service I would consider subscribing to has stopped the roll-out. Now, I would be willing to get FiOS just for the ISP and keep Dish and use more on-line services, especially HD and even Sling in some form with FiOS high bandwidth and no caps. Slinging, downloaded, web surfing all at the same time I would love to have. All the horror stories with those who are with Charter for ISP and other services just make it impossible for me to consider Charter for ANYTHING. I did have them for TV service over 10 years ago, and they STANK and finally ticked me off to switch to Dish.

I hope you get you FiOS sometime soon.

Last edited:
Almost the same thing was said when cable came around.

Dish and DIRECTV are cable in the sky. As they are now they are one trick ponies, and demographics are against them. It is landlines all over again. Sure households over age 35 are very well penetrated with cable or DBS. Younger households are starting to switch Are Cable TV Carriers Seeing Meaningful Subscriber Degradation Due To Young People Not Signing Up? - Forbes

DBS had pricing advantages, but both companies now have come fully under the cable model, and now rival cable in price. They tend to lead in channel selection and HD, but cable has caught up in large sections of the country and over time will be able to match. There are very few "new" channels any more.

Cable companies have the advantage that people need internet when they cut the cable programming, so they get to sell them an even more profitable service without having to buy programming from providers that want higher than the cost of inflation rate hikes every year.

Good points, though for a similar set up as to what I have with two Hoppers/one Joey for the same capabilities try $51.00 in fees when I priced it out at our Comcast website. For now Comcast is the king of fees in my area though I am one that for high speed Internet my only choice is Comcast, so I do have them for Internet and a basic package to allegedly
Save off my Internet bill

Dish is still quite alot less than Cable for programming. When cable fees are not being misquoted by people, you see that Dish fees are often less also. Charter's big summer promotion is $19.99 for four rooms HD. But that's just the Receiver/DVR fees. And it applies to one room or four. On top of that, it's $5 a receiver per room, including paying a receiver fee for the first room. Yep, one room is $24. Two rooms is $29. Three $34. They are comparable to Dish at four rooms for cost in fees. Still more for programming. Anyone who bundles their VOIP phone is paying too much. Far less for Voicepulse or Vonage etc... Voicepulse with a gadzillion more free options. It's really the internet savings that happens when you bundle but very often paying the regular internet price, have Dish, and have Vonage or Voicepulse etc.. is just as cheap as their bundle, sometimes less, and with better picture and more HD, better phone service often. (Fios excluded for PQ but in FL still less HD channels)

The biggest myth is the "high" Dish fees. One because it's less than Cable most often. Two, because you have to look at the business model, if you think their fees are high, but yet they are less overall than most anyone else, (they are) then bottom line they are less. If they were to lower or end a fee, do you really think that cost won't be carried somewhere else? The good part of the Dish business plan is that someone who can't afford much does not pay alot in fees, and has lower priced programming. Compare one room DVR with Dish, costing $6 total in fees. ($10 Hopper) and the Charter plan, $24 in fees first room. From what I can see most all the cable companies charge a receiver fee for the first room.

So this is why people are so misled, or maybe do it on purpose. But someone will post that they only pay $5 with Charter for a receiver fee. Everyone will jump on that and say Dish is too high. But if you bother to look into it, it's $5 for the first room, so $10 for two rooms, plus the DVR fees which are higher than Dish.

Last edited:
I look to the demise of satellite TV being overstated from a technical viewpoint. The Internet is not the best way to deliver unidirectional video content. The Internet is a bi-directional service and never had good provisions for multicasting. A thousand viewers of a program results in a thousand of each packet of that program being transmitted, a lot of bandwidth.

Compare that to a satellite that transmits a program to one or ten million receivers using the exact same amount of bandwidth. With the possible adoption of a 3D standard or the apparent evolution increase of screen resolution that is double the current standard will increase the demand for bandwidth.

I guess we can all believe that the increase of Internet bandwidth is just a simple matter of some technical changes. But like it or not, there are physical limits in the universe.

Satellite will be the best delivery mechanism for video content for quite some time, just as it is not a great transport for bi-directional Internet. The day-to-day skirmishes in pricing and other marketing games between cable (FIOS is just fast cable) and satellite will still be limited to the long term capabilities of the transports for the job.

Satellite television is not going anywhere people. The number of people watching TV by satellite may decrease over the next 10 years but there will still be plenty of set top boxes in poeple's homes. Dish has a very good game plan going ahead and will still be a strong competitor in the TV market. I'm not sure what Direct has planned for the future but they're not dumb and I'm sure they have there plans to adapt also.

I really think Charlie is a brilliant guy and has had a great idea of what the future of television will be. I remember him talking about how people will be watching TV on portable devices before the iPad and smart phones were a common thing. He is positioning his company to be able to provide TV to customers in about every form possible so you can watch no matter where you are.

I'm excited for next years Team Summit. I'm hoping to see a prototype of a Dish handheld device because I know it's in the works. The times are changing and Dish is gearing up for the future.

I look to the demise of satellite TV being overstated from a technical viewpoint. The Internet is not the best way to deliver unidirectional video content. The Internet is a bi-directional service and never had good provisions for multicasting. A thousand viewers of a program results in a thousand of each packet of that program being transmitted, a lot of bandwidth.

Compare that to a satellite that transmits a program to one or ten million receivers using the exact same amount of bandwidth. With the possible adoption of a 3D standard or the apparent evolution increase of screen resolution that is double the current standard will increase the demand for bandwidth.

I guess we can all believe that the increase of Internet bandwidth is just a simple matter of some technical changes. But like it or not, there are physical limits in the universe.

Satellite will be the best delivery mechanism for video content for quite some time, just as it is not a great transport for bi-directional Internet. The day-to-day skirmishes in pricing and other marketing games between cable (FIOS is just fast cable) and satellite will still be limited to the long term capabilities of the transports for the job.

Yet companies like Netflix, Apple, Google and Amazon deliver video to millions of subscribers, all watching different things at the same time. There is not a land based internet capacity problem.

Satellite/Cable works well if you want to deliver exactly the same thing at the same time to everyone. How long will this model last? I do not predict it going away any time soon, just like there are still a lot of land line phones. My nieces and nephews are perfectly happy watching youtube or gaming all night over TV. Their friends all appear to do the same thing. Their formative years are all VOD, not watching scheduled TV.

I have a lot of young (16-20s) employees, most of them do not bother with cable/satellite. They watch everything over the internet. Not a single one has a land line (unless they still live with their parents, but then most of them do not either).

I think they can still implement the satellite alongside IP/broadband. By having a satellite dish it saves bandwidth in that it could do the downstream while their future plans can do the upstream and mobile services. They need to either have their own set of towers like AT&T/Verizon/Sprint does, partner or perhaps do something different in the industry that others are not currently doing. They could do something similar to what wifi companies in the industry are doing and offer certain people that want to invest in certain territories to offer their IP services maybe even do a wholesale model. They could handoff some cellular and broadband traffic to the satellite as a deal when partnering with some of the cell companies. Many possibilities.

There is not a land based internet capacity problem.
Really. Having just spent 2-1/2 hours to watch an hour long YouTube video, I wonder.

I guess some of the cable modem Internet providers putting monitoring of bandwidth is no indication of anything.

Satellite/Cable works well if you want to deliver exactly the same thing at the same time to everyone. How long will this model last?
As long as OTA, which seems to be a high priority by many Dish subscribers who are squawking about the lack of OTA on the Hopper.

The youth of America often drive trends until they grow up and have to pay for them.

Well....since this thread is waaaay off topic.There are many areas here that don't have dsl,cable,or cell service.So broadband has a very long way to go in order to unseat or for that matter compete with satellite video.

Verizon 3G. The whole country just doesn't have plentiful broadband, but of course you have to travel around to know that.

Seventh Broadband Progress Report | FCC.gov

FCC current estimate is that about 83% of households have access to at least wired 4mbit/1mbit service. But, only 65% of households have service this fast (either they do not have broadband or subscribe to a lower tier for various reasons).

If you consider a single city (NYC) has near 100% high speed internet access available has the population of several plains states with farms and ranches in the middle of no where, you can easily see how the vast majority of the country's population has access to high speed internet while the vast land area of the country does not.

I couldn't imagine there being mass amounts of sub loss from the dropping of AMC. I haven't heard much complaining about it in my area.

A net loss of 10,000 means they lost 10,000 more subs than they gained. If there were 665,000 gross new subscribers, then they must have lost a total of 675,000 subs. Does not suggest all were from the loss of AMC -- could just be they lost 10,000 over that debacle. Won't know that until August 7th.

Last edited:
I've been waiting for YEARS. It seems Verizon has rolled out to a small portion of our suburban city (actually among the largest in terms of area compared to other cities in our county) and they STOPPED. All the Verizon vans advertise FiOS, and when I ask (and I've called Verizon as well) they confirm FiOS in a small pocket of our city, but not too likely to get to our end anytime soon. :(.

It's just so sad and frustrating that the only really good competition and ONLY other service I would consider subscribing to has stopped the roll-out. Now, I would be willing to get FiOS just for the ISP and keep Dish and use more on-line services, especially HD and even Sling in some form with FiOS high bandwidth and no caps. Slinging, downloaded, web surfing all at the same time I would love to have. All the horror stories with those who are with Charter for ISP and other services just make it impossible for me to consider Charter for ANYTHING. I did have them for TV service over 10 years ago, and they STANK and finally ticked me off to switch to Dish.

I hope you get you FiOS sometime soon.

We are in the same boat here in our distant LA suburb in the I.E. Take heart, they did lay fiber on a block not too far from my house within the last 4 or 5 months, so the buildout continues albeit at a slower pace. They are definitely still laying fiber in NYC and should eventually finish what they started elsewhere.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts