Dish Survived Nor'easter

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

JFOK

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 12, 2012
Cape Cod - MA.
Hi All,

Here on Cape Cod we had one hell of a nor'easter Friday night with Hurricane force winds and heavy rain.
Winds at my house averaged 60-70 MPH with one gust officially reported at 93 MPH !!!.
Couldn't really see how my dish was faring as the power went out around 7 PM not to return until 2:30AM.
At daylight Saturday morning, the only damage suffered was a loosened mesh panel. My dish even stayed on target, not spinning on the pole. I went out with winds still gusting past 40 MPH to repair the damage and have some bloody fingertips to prove it. Now I hear another nor'easter is headed my way on Wednesday.
Mother Nature is really putting this old dish through its paces.

John

Hi All,

Here on Cape Cod we had one hell of a nor'easter Friday night with Hurricane force winds and heavy rain.
Winds at my house averaged 60-70 MPH with one gust officially reported at 93 MPH !!!.
Couldn't really see how my dish was faring as the power went out around 7 PM not to return until 2:30AM.
At daylight Saturday morning, the only damage suffered was a loosened mesh panel. My dish even stayed on target, not spinning on the pole. I went out with winds still gusting past 40 MPH to repair the damage and have some bloody fingertips to prove it. Now I hear another nor'easter is headed my way on Wednesday.

John
Thats great to hear. Last summer we had a bad storm here in SC. Winds gust up to 80 mph. Wasnt sure if my 10 foot would make it. As high as it is. Had no damage to it at all. A question for you guys. When storms do come up. Where is the best place to park the dish? During that storm i parked it on 139 west. Now the other day we had a storm roll through. With winds up to 60 mph gust. I left it on 101 west. It seems like it didnt sway as much on 101.

Reactions: JFOK
Good question - I guess we have to balance two factors
- in which position does it offer the least resistance to winds (reducing the sail effect) - my guess is that would be at highest elevation, so pointing toward true south.
- the mechanical strength of the actuator, which would be strongest when fully retracted.

I think the second point is clear, while the first point fails to take into account the unpredictable direction of the winds, including the fact that due to local topography, the wind could also be ascending or descending.

So I usually park the dish where the actuator is fully retracted, in my case that's all the way to the East.

Hi All,

John
Glad you and your dish made it through ok! :)

Hi dl76,

I usually park my dish at 78W during storms such as this as that position offers my dish the least amount of dish area facing the wind.
Its more horizontal than vertical. The winds blows across it instead of against it.

John

Here in the central part of Virginia we had gusts upwards of 40mph but no damage on any of my 3 systems that I can tell. New roof stayed on the house also, which is good as I saw several houses near me with shingles missing.

First day of spring is only about 2 weeks away now!! :clapping Actually saw some "critters" around my yard yesterday, ie, lizards, cardinals and wasps so that's a good sign!

Glad to read your dish weathered the storm. My 12 footer Unimesh survived hurricane Maria in Puerto Rico. In my case I have an ajak motor. I put the dish at 61 degrees Amazon and tied it at the four corners with rope. Winds gusted at 155 mph and the thing did not even break a mesh. First thing I did the morning after the storm to check it thinking it was destroyed. But it survived.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)