Dish/switch issues...getting frustrated

Andrewwski

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
Hello all,

I have two Dish 500’s, one pointed at 61.5 and one pointed at 72.7, connected through a DPP44 to a 722, 222k, and 211k.

I am getting frequent switch errors, and I have to run a check switch test to get rid of them. This happens at least whenever signal is momentarily lost, often more. The problem has been ongoing for about a year now, although it got a bit better after a service call a few months ago…but is getting seemingly worse again.

Background: Last year (April 2010 I believe), I was “upgraded” to Eastern Arc. The installer didn’t have any 1000.4’s left on the truck (he didn’t get here until about 9 pm – I should have known better and told him to come back another day), so he swung our dish pointed at 110/119 to 72.7.

I didn’t like this – as I really wanted a single dish – but I accepted it, as it worked fine at the time.

Fast forward a few months later – we were getting check switch tests a few times per week. We lived with it until December – to the point where we couldn’t even watch TV anymore. We had to argue, beg, and plead with Dish to send someone out at no charge. They finally agreed as it seemed the issues all stemmed from the “upgrade” (which they did). The guy came out and saw that one of the dishes had almost no signal (I couldn’t even get it to lock, so I assumed it was a switch issue), and noticed that one of the dishes was barely hand tightened. So the last guy hadn’t done a proper job at tightening the dish.

I asked if he could change the two D500’s and DPP44 to a single 1000.4, as that is what the CSR told me he would do, and he said no. Since repointing the one D500 would solve the issue, that is all he could do.

After that, it seemed to work much better – at least we weren’t losing signal all the time. However, we were still getting a check switch error about once a week. It was infrequent enough that it didn’t bother me, and I really didn’t feel like waiting an entire day again for a service call.

Fast forward to now…8 months or so later. I’m now getting at least one check switch error per day. Signal seems to be OK – not the best I’ve ever seen, but not enough for it to drop out either, but I’m getting thrown switch errors a lot.

I’m suspecting the problem lies within the switch. However Dish is entirely unhelpful. They want me to pay for a service call again – when this all stems from an issue that I am certain was never done correctly in the first place. I want a 1000.4 with no switches – that is the correct way this should have been done, right? This would eliminate all of my switch issues.

Anyone have any suggestions? I’m going to email the ceo address…that is what it took last time, however it took me about 4 weeks to get a response. If I have to wait that long, I’m switching to another provider.

Thanks.

Send a private message to one of the DIRT (Dish Internet Response Team) members that frequent the boards. Their names will display in red. Click on the name to send a private message. If you cannot get a free visit, you can always sign up for the protection plan to get a $15 visit and then drop the plan paying a $25 early termination fee. That'll keep the cost down to under $50 at least instead of the usual $95. It seems to me that you did not get a real EA upgrade if you only have the 72.7 and 61.5 orbitals. You also need the 77W orbital for a full EA upgrade. I think a 61.5/77 only install is likely not an approved one, but I can't say for sure.

I was having similar switch problems after they changed me over to EA. Previous to that I was using 2/SW64 switches which had a separate power injector to power the switches. When they changed me over to 722's which send power to the switch via the satellite feed cable from the 722, that's when I started having problems. Tech came out and immediately added a separate power supply for the DPP44 and I haven't had a problem since.

Sign up for the dish service plan ($6/month) have them come out and fix everything ($15 service charge), is probably the easiest thing to do. Or if you feel confident they will ship you a new DPP44 in exchange to see if that fixes your problem.

The DPP44 should have a power supply on input 1, perhaps they put the power inserter on the wrong input when they installed it. To reset the DPP44 you pretty much have to unplug that power supply and every receiver at the same time. Then plug in the power supply then the receivers. To diagnose you might take off all receiver connectors except #1 then see if the power inserter and a single receiver work. If they cannot talk to the switch then they have the inserter on the wrong input (since you have 2-4 unplugged at the switch).

If they switched your existing diah 500 to the EA I'll bet they left the Twin LNB on it instead of replacing it with a DP single/dual. Your install is wrong no matter seeing they didn't connect 77 you only have 2/3rds of the arc. Hopefully DIRT can again straighten out a DISH foul up.

The DIRT guys should be able to get you fixed at no charge. You didn't get the dish you were supposed to the first time.
The installer should've got a 1K.4 dish before even coming out. He wasted his time, your time and Dish's time.

with those receivers you should be running a 1000.2 LNB...we don't install 1K4 no more. we switch back to 1K2...the only time we would use 1K4 is if the customer already has one on site and has LNB issues...

with those receivers you should be running a 1000.2 LNB...we don't install 1K4 no more. we switch back to 1K2...the only time we would use 1K4 is if the customer already has one on site and has LNB issues...
Have you been playing Rip Van Winkle sleeping for the last 20 years?

First off if your in a EA only area you only need the one EA dish. It will support three recicvers and. A fourth sat. Input. If you are in a WA area and need the 129 for locals you need a EA dish with either a 119 or 110 wing dish depending on what sat. Your locals come in on. Anyway your installer should know those specifics. But when you call in to customer service start off requesting an internal technician not a sub contractor. Tell them that your not receiving the right sat. Orbital locations and you want it fixed. If they give you a hard time transfer to the loyalty dept. They will waive the fee and get you set up. But make sure you get an internal tech who gets paid by the hour and he will fix you right up.

If they switched your existing diah 500 to the EA I'll bet they left the Twin LNB on it instead of replacing it with a DP single/dual. Your install is wrong no matter seeing they didn't connect 77 you only have 2/3rds of the arc. Hopefully DIRT can again straighten out a DISH foul up.

That's correct. Still the twin on the 72.7 one, just plugged in on one side. Installer had trouble having both plugged in as it was actually grabbing 82 (whatever that is) on the other side and 82 was actually overriding 72. Again, probably shouldn't have been done this way.

I've tried resetting the switch many times - unplugged the entire system, plugged it back in - it solves it temporarily, but the problem always comes back.

I don't think it's fair for me to have to sign up for the protection plan and pay for a visit - because this wasn't an upgrade we even asked for in the first place. It was one we *had* to have (or else lose channels, and they have screwed it up many times. If I have to pay for it, I'll just as soon switch providers. I'd understand if it were an upgrade that I wanted for a different setup, but it wasn't, and since then, we've had nothing but trouble.

I will take the suggestion of contacting the DIRT members. I didn't realize that there were DishNetwork reps on here now - that's cool! If they can help, I would be very grateful, as the people on the phone don't seem to want to.

EDIT: By the way, yes, Eastern Arc area.

your right..haha..i'm on the west coast...so wa lnb...we sometimes use 1k4 for eastern arc when thats an option

Spoke with MattG yesterday and he was awesome! Easily the best person I've ever spoken with at Dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts