Dish switching to directv good choice?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
I HOPE they have HR20-700's still, refurbed or not ....
I think mine is starting to go bad, seems like it is taking a lot longer to change channels , mainly from OTA channels to sat channels.
Takes a lot longer than normal when I just turn the unit on as well.
It use to come right on, now it takes about 5 sec before I see a picture.

IF I need to get a replacement, I will hope for a HR20-700, otherwise they better be ready to send me a free AM21 as I cannot do without my local channels.

Jimbo
Yea thats Fine , But I don't see why New customers should still be getting HR 20's when there are 21,22,and 23 Now.

Yea thats Fine , But I don't see why New customers should still be getting HR 20's when there are 21,22,and 23 Now.

i agree. as a replacement for current customers is ok or if a new customer specifies they want an hr20. other than that they should be getting the newer models

Dish hooked me with the 150HD channels by the end of 2008 promise back in Oct 2008. Well, that was a bunch of ****. So here I am with a dead end TurboHD gold package with about 17 months on it. I say dead end because they are adding HD channels to the Dish network but not giving it to the Turbo HD program users. It looks like I am going to add DirecTV HD. I've kept my DirecTV SD so I'll upgrade.

I saw one response that I was wondering about. Just to confirm, DirecTV HD has about the same picture quality as the Dish TurboHD...right? Opinions?

I just made the switch about 2 weeks ago. After all the promotions are over, I will be saving about $20 / month for basically the same channels. I looked at this numerous times prior to ordering and it was confirmed by mulitple CSRs.
I think I get a few more with D* but I never did a side by side, but I get all the same stuff that I watched anyway, so it doesn't matter that much. I , at least have the opportunity to get MLBIE, which I will probably do.
I have read a lot things about the difference in the DVRs. After playing for a couple of weeks, I can tell you that I think the feature set is a little better on HR23. But something that is a little annoying in the lag when navigating.

-SNT

Just got off the phone with Directv to discuss adding HD service. They offered me a free HD/DVR receiver, a second HD receiver for a $49 install fee, and free DVR service for a year. They are giving me an additional $10 off a month for a year because I've been with them for 5 years. I get to keep my Total Choice Plus at $54.99 / month rather then changing to the same thing now titled Chice Plus @ $64.99/ month .

Looks like I'll be canceling the Dish Network stuff next week.

Dish hooked me with the 150HD channels by the end of 2008 promise back in Oct 2008. Well, that was a bunch of ****. So here I am with a dead end TurboHD gold package with about 17 months on it. I say dead end because they are adding HD channels to the Dish network but not giving it to the Turbo HD program users. It looks like I am going to add DirecTV HD. I've kept my DirecTV SD so I'll upgrade.

I saw one response that I was wondering about. Just to confirm, DirecTV HD has about the same picture quality as the Dish TurboHD...right? Opinions?
There you go again with your generalized misinformation. YOU know only the two Fox news channels are in question. Have fun!!!

There you go again with your generalized misinformation. YOU know only the two Fox news channels are in question. Have fun!!!

So what is not true about what I said? There are 2 fox channels not in the package, they did promise a BUNCH of channels by the end of 2008 which was a flat out lie, and DirecTV has way more channels in HD.

Just look at this forum. The Dish forum has as many HD programming issues threads as any other thread. The DirecTV forum has 2 or 3 threads about HD programming. Looks like Directv customers are way more happy then Dish (including me.

Man, you need to let up on the Dish koolaid :D

So what is not true about what I said? There are 2 fox channels not in the package, they did promise a BUNCH of channels by the end of 2008 which was a flat out lie, and DirecTV has way more channels in HD.

Just look at this forum. The Dish forum has as many HD programming issues threads as any other thread. The DirecTV forum has 2 or 3 threads about HD programming. Looks like Directv customers are way more happy then Dish (including me.

Man, you need to let up on the Dish koolaid :D

To be fair there are also way more dish members here than directv members. which raises the odds of there being more complaints because there is almost 3 times more dish members on this site. :)

I'd be pissed if E* showed up at my door step with a 921 HD DVR.
I guess thats the only HD DVR D* is giving out for free ? HR20's??
The difference is (if I am not mistaken) that the 921 is obsolete as far as getting mpeg 4. Is that correct?
The HR-20 is not. The main difference between it and the newer HR series receivers is the hard drive and OTA tuners being in the box.

I just switched from Dish a week ago and am very happy with it. PQ with DirecTV seems better to me - the picture pops out more - seems sharper. My family agrees with me.

I just switched from Dish a week ago and am very happy with it. PQ with DirecTV seems better to me - the picture pops out more - seems sharper. My family agrees with me.
I agree.
I switched from DISH with a 622 to 2 HR22's. And the Picture does seem sharper and more vibrant. It's not like changing your tv setting to dynamic (which is not a good kind of vibrant). I did have both systems up for a few days together and did the switching back and forth to compare. I convinced myself whether it's true or not.

dish or direc

Ok im one of those people who have loyalties to neither.

I have both 722 and HR22.

HD wise to me they are identical. I really cant see a difference.

722 hands down smoother.

Direc has the sports! Hockey never looked so good.

Plus, direc has not taken away programming from me.

Direc wins out also on better customer service...

Direc tv is the overall winner!

I have a Direct install scheduled for the end of the month. But I'm still having angst about no Dish HD DVRs and D*s lack of Premium HD. I might throw in the towel and stay. This is hard!!!

I have a Direct install scheduled for the end of the month. But I'm still having angst about no Dish HD DVRs and D*s lack of Premium HD. I might throw in the towel and stay. This is hard!!!

KAB, I am conteplating the opposite, I am thinking about moving to dish, nothing bad about Direct. I do like that dish has some channel options that during the year that I would like to down grade packages. Directv seems to be all or nothing in regard to channel packages.

Plus one of the keys to Directv was sunday ticket and I dont think sunday ticket is a big thing for me anymore as NFL network and local games are good. I find myself spending alot of time right now researching Dish as changing would be a big deal to me as I have had Directv since 2000. The current Dish promtion is not to bad as well, I think it ends in July??, so I have some time to think it over with all that is involved with the move with equipment/Satelite dish change and such.

So is the HD picture noticable? I have a 42 plasma and a 52 rear projection

KAB , I went through the same thing last year. I canceled 3 installs before i finally went through with it. my main reason for hesitation was the dvr's. dish dvr's are faster but directv's dvr's are very good. I really don't miss my vip622 anymore. Trust me, once you make the change, after awhile you'll wonder why you didn't do this sooner. But there's one thing you said that's important. The lack of premium HD's. If this is very important to you,then i suggest you stay put. the dvr's, you'll get used to the minimal differences, the premium hd's are a different story. another plus for me is the treatment i've received and still get from D's customer service. something i never got in my 10 years with E :(.

I'm glad you can sympathize. One of the reasons I was going to switch was LOS problems with 129, especially since they finally put our locals on it this week. I have a second, 61.5 Dish for the national HD. Not a problem for D* and their higher elevations. But, I found a spot on my property away from the house that should get 129 OK. I called Dish loyalty dept today and asked if they would have it moved and re-wired no charge. They said yes. They are sending a tech on Mon. So, I've got till Sunday to play flip-flop. I will save almost $40 per month first year with D*, but that still does not make it any easier. I am not a sports nut, which I why is might be better of staying.

I'm glad you can sympathize. One of the reasons I was going to switch was LOS problems with 129, especially since they finally put our locals on it this week. I have a second, 61.5 Dish for the national HD. Not a problem for D* and their higher elevations. But, I found a spot on my property away from the house that should get 129 OK. I called Dish loyalty dept today and asked if they would have it moved and re-wired no charge. They said yes. They are sending a tech on Mon. So, I've got till Sunday to play flip-flop. I will save almost $40 per month first year with D*, but that still does not make it any easier. I am not a sports nut, which I why is might be better of staying.

do you know anyone who has D whom you could visit? if not, you could do what i did. i went to best buy and fooled around with one of their hdtv's that had a Directv HD dvr hooked up . i asked the sales person if it was a ok for me to play with it for awhile.he said yes. this is what finally convinced me to make the change. KAB, if you really do love premiums this much i would stay with dish for now and see if directv improves their premium lineup in the future to something you would be more comfortable with. you could always make the switch later :)

do you know anyone who has D whom you could visit? if not, you could do what i did. i went to best buy and fooled around with one of their hdtv's that had a Directv HD dvr hooked up . i asked the sales person if it was a ok for me to play with it for awhile.he said yes. this is what finally convinced me to make the change. KAB, if you really do love premiums this much i would stay with dish for now and see if directv improves their premium lineup in the future to something you would be more comfortable with. you could always make the switch later :)
I'm also in on that Cinemax for a penny a year deal. A freebie I'd be giving up. My wife and I have since discussed, and we're going to stay with Dish if we can get LOS to 129. She especially does not want to mess with the lag time. Thank you for your "counsel".

I'm also in on that Cinemax for a penny a year deal. A freebie I'd be giving up. My wife and I have since discussed, and we're going to stay with Dish. She especially does not want to mess with the lag time. Thank you for your "counsel".

you're welcome. yes the cinemax deal was very hard for me to give up too. it's a great deal! I'm sure you feel relieved to have made this decision. Change isn't always good.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)