Dish: The "90%" company - Who cares if the other 10% is the most important?

LOL knot & boba. While I expected some major backlash (this is the internet after all), I don't want to "just leave". If you are 100% happy with everything, good for you. I, on the other hand, prefer to give constructive feedback.
And it is very constructive. I think the problem is that most of the issues you do raise are generally understood by Dish subscribers, and this web board is saturated (or at least semi-saturated) with complaints about Dish. So while your post is constructive, to some it is just another thread complaining about Dish.
I understand all listed gripes except for the BB@home one. Blockbuster would presumably be nothing without someone swooping in and acquiring them after going bankrupt. Dish actually added services for free in implementing the BB disc and VOD content, considering that the Platinum Pack stayed the same price and was just renamed after the disc and VOD services were added to it. So how is that a negative? Even if the service doesn't work at all, it is at worst a neutral.
Agreed. The one problem that did exist with BB@home was the typical Dish ambiguity regarding the streaming content when it first was announced, ie... there was reason to believe it was going to be like Netflix, though Dish never explicitly said so. What Platinum became, after the change, was an improvement, though. Not as good as getting discs from Netflix, however, though your options are larger with BB@home.

I'm in agreement with pretty much everything Gary outlined in the first post. I am for the most part (not sure if it's 90% but a pretty good number) satisfied with what Dish has accomplished over the years but it is frustrating to see all the things they've started, gotten something good going and dropped all development on just before it could have became great instead of just good enough.

And I have worked for companies where getting things working 90% (or 80% or even 60%) is all you're allowed to do before they drop some new high priority project in your lap. It's no fun at all, not to mention destroying any sense of pride in your work.

Pepper said:
I'm in agreement with pretty much everything Gary outlined in the first post. I am for the most part (not sure if it's 90% but a pretty good number) satisfied with what Dish has accomplished over the years but it is frustrating to see all the things they've started, gotten something good going and dropped all development on just before it could have became great instead of just good enough.

And I have worked for companies where getting things working 90% (or 80% or even 60%) is all you're allowed to do before they drop some new high priority project in your lap. It's no fun at all, not to mention destroying any sense of pride in your work.

I agree, they get something to where it's close to being as advertised then bam the next thing is started and all hope is lost for the previous project.

Sent from my phone using SatelliteGuys sweet app

GaryPen said:
It damn well should for $30! (Per device!)

Gary there you go again. It Does and always has worked great. What does it add to say it should? Everything "should" but doesn't. $30 for a one time fee which existed before Dish is not outrageous for the use and satisfaction.

I understand all listed gripes except for the BB@home one. Blockbuster would presumably be nothing without someone swooping in and acquiring them after going bankrupt. Dish actually added services for free in implementing the BB disc and VOD content, considering that the Platinum Pack stayed the same price and was just renamed after the disc and VOD services were added to it. So how is that a negative? Even if the service doesn't work at all, it is at worst a neutral.
It's true that there would be no BB at all, without Dish buying their assetts in a fire sale. But, in some ways, it might have been better to just let them die instead of trotting around a stinking corpse, and advertising it as a fit, healthy body.

Is BB@H a good deal? Sure. It's the same Platinum Pack with the addition of discs at home. OTOH, has Dish implemented the whole BB@H concept well? Of course not. The discs at home website, selection, shipping speed, even quality of envelopes, leaves much to be desired. And, the streaming has no unique BB content. It's just the same old Dish streaming VOD.

They could do it right. If they did, it would be awesome, instead of just acceptable. But, it appears that acceptable is quite good enough for a lot of people here. I prefer awesome.

Gary there you go again. It Does and always has worked great. What does it add to say it should? Everything "should" but doesn't. $30 for a one time fee which existed before Dish is not outrageous for the use and satisfaction.
Actually, it is outrageous for a mobile app, especially per device.

And, YEAH, there I go again. I do so because it is DESERVED.

So, after being a Dish subscriber for the past 9 years, I've come to the conclusion that Dish prides themselves on being 90% good. The only problem is that the last 10% is the most important part. Why? Here are my reasons:

• Programming: For the most part, Dish Network has great programming. 90% Great. But where's AMC? Where's Disney HD? I was with at&t UVerse for a short time when I was in a temporary apartment (while waiting on a new home to be built) and it felt like there were sooo many HD channels.
  • 3D: Where are the Olympics in 3D? Their excuse?: "Not enough bandwidth." AMC freed up some bandwidth. Epic Fail!
  • DVRs: Don't get me wrong. Dish's DVRs are fantastic. 90% fantastic. But, they ALWAYS screw them up with updates. The latest update to the Hopper changed the Autohop default button choice to "No". Sure, it was for legal reasons, but is ANYBODY really going to say "No. I like watching commercials when I have the option to skip them." :rolleyes: The latest update also screwed up autohop. Now, you have to watch the first 7 or 8 seconds of the first commercial before autohop even kicks in. Also, Hopper customers have been requesting a better way to sort content. Perhaps a list view instead of all graphical icons. Finding anything on the Hopper is pretty difficult and I've had it since launch and used it daily since. It's 90% there, but if Dish follows their track record, new updates will make this DVR worse and worse.
  • Acquisition of Sling: Great move for Dish. Sling was great technology for Dish to acquire. Dish's implementation of the technology is lackluster to say the least. Have you ever tried to play back any programming using the Dish App for Android, iOS or DishRemote.com? It's nearly impossible. The GUi is fantastic. Logging in is easy. It's 90% there, but when you go to play any content at all, good luck getting a "connection" or with it even playing the correct channel :rolleyes:! It's that last 10% that matters.
  • Acquisition of Blockbuster: I just added Blockbuster@Home to my account. One word: Lame. The online streaming content for Blockbuster@Home is horrid (if you can even navigate it from the Hopper interface) and the queue that sends one Blu-Ray at a time rarely sends you what's at the top of your queue. Many items have been on "short wait" for months. If that's a short wait, I'd hate to see a long wait.

My point here is that Dish has the potential to be the very best at EVERYTHING. But their direction and implementation of technology and is so so bad. I think I want to start blaming it on leadership. I used to work in the corporate world. So, I know how these companies are ran from the top down. But if the guys at the top are unaware of the fact that the Hopper is getting messed up via firmware/software updates, the programming doesn't match their competitors, they're missing the boat of customer demands for new technology such as 3D, Sling doesn't work at all and the implementation of Blockbuster is a mess, then this company with continue to be 90% great. And the last 10% is the most important part.

I think you are spot on in your critique of DISH. I have had very little success with my sling adapter and have given up entirely. As for the receivers , they use the" one step forward /two steps back "approach to software updates. They usually fix something but break something else not intended. Block buster has been a real disappointment to me and I don't see it lasting into next year as it is today. Translation the physical stores will all close sometime between now and next summer and Blockbuster will be in name only for the streaming portion of DISH receivers.

It's true that there would be no BB at all, without Dish buying their assetts in a fire sale. But, in some ways, it might have been better to just let them die instead of trotting around a stinking corpse, and advertising it as a fit, healthy body.

Is BB@H a good deal? Sure. It's the same Platinum Pack with the addition of discs at home. OTOH, has Dish implemented the whole BB@H concept well? Of course not. The discs at home website, selection, shipping speed, even quality of envelopes, leaves much to be desired.
I'd say that if it were a standalone service. But the shipping speed of a couple days isn't bad at all, what hurts is no shipping on Saturday. Discs can be returned to a store, if there is one locally. And where there are brick and mortar Blockbusters still, the locals probably appreciate that. The selection isn't bad at all, and includes Blu-Ray and video games, unlike Netflix. The website isn't bad either. I'm not certain what people are expecting sometimes.
And, the streaming has no unique BB content. It's just the same old Dish streaming VOD.
The streaming interface is a borderline crime against humanity. Slow and antiquainted by 2002 standards, there seems little reason why the streaming interface is so terrible, especially on a DVR that is an otherwise great and powerful device.

They could do it right. If they did, it would be awesome, instead of just acceptable. But, it appears that acceptable is quite good enough for a lot of people here. I prefer awesome.
Nothing like the condescending tones of the Internet.

Good read.

The BBMP is a great way to boost dish up and save customers from Netflix & game fly. The truth is if i was running it i would have the disks stock piled at central offices like it is now and also have the "Local " stores expand there stock room and eat up some of the floor space for disks. 100 movies fit in 10" of space on a shelf one location could hold millions of great games and movies, Keeping the local movie nut's happy and keep that kid at the store off there phone and trying to stuffing envelopes not every good looker that walks in the door.

For Sling also seems dish has dropped the ball as most of the time DRA is off line or takes for ever to locate your dvr and even crashing when working for 5min

As a citizen of the United States, I hereby apologize for the words of that other American, who apparently believes every Dish customer only wants to watch channels that originate within United States territory.

I don't think we need to apologize for every person who chooses to take the simple minded approach. However, I'd like them to explain their statement further, as I made a comment last year about how I, who speaks English, don't agree with packaging Spanish channels with English ones. I nearly got my head chewed off, spat out, then chewed up again. I stand by my original opinion, but totally feel that channels of multiple languages and cultures belong. Just allow subscribers to choose what they want as their package.

I never said that acceptable is good enough, just that using it as an explicit negative weakens the OP's argument a bit. Stop putting contentious words into my mouth.

I'm not one for complaining about something that was added for free. If it's useless, then I'm no worse or better off for it. Now, if they start charging more for it, then I would expect awesome and have a reason to complain if it wasn't.

While I expected some major backlash (this is the internet after all), I don't want to "just leave". If you are 100% happy with everything, good for you. I, on the other hand, prefer to give constructive feedback.

I am with you 100%. The Funky DISH Lovin' is way too weird. DISH could shut down for 6 months and some would happily continue to pay their bill.

DISH has been providing lackluster performance the last 3-4 years. Charlie has the attention span of a 3-year-old that runs from toy to toy, never spending much more than a few minutes with any one toy -- they just don't finish what they start -- and they want to get into providing mobile service?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts