DISH to carry all 21 in 2006

Is there any chance Dish is going to purchase the current Voom STB's, and flash them to dish?

Instant subscribers?

Just a thought.

roland

Right now (at least for the next few months, perhaps longer) it would be possible for Dish/CVC to keep all the VOOM boxes running with VOOM 10. Since 13 TPs will now free up at 61.5, Dish could use 5 of them for Dish's set top box to receive VOOM-10 and Dish could also keep existing VOOM boxes serviced by using 5 of the other TPs transmitting in the VOOM format.

Perhaps the existing VOOM boxes would get VOOM 10 for free until Dish has the software in place to upgrade the VOOM box, or switch the box with Dish equipment. Dish could even work a deal where the equivalent of AT60+VOOM were given to the VOOM boxes during the transition period.

This would be a great way to welcome in the existing VOOM subscribers, have them keep some programming during the transition, and give Dish some time to work out the hardware/software issues.

This is FANTABULOUS news.

I've had Dish for 4.5 years and have been very happy with the SD PQ and their SD DVR. No issues with rain fade.

I got VOOM in November 2004 and had to keep Dish as my commitment to the free Dish SD DVR continued until May 2005. So, I've had both Dish and VOOM for the past 6 months or so.

I knew when I got VOOM that Dish might "buy them out" at some point. It looks like that has essentially happened, tho other providers can also offer the VOOM21 if they so choose. Dish starts with VOOM10 now and then bumps it to VOOM21 after MPEG4 arrives -- fair enough.

Now I need to see what Dish can offer me in terms of pricing and hardware. I would have cancelled Dish last November and would currently be a "new" customer if I had not needed to keep the service to avoid a $250 cancellation fee from my SD DVR upgrade last year.

So, I suppose they will treat me like an existing customer. Maybe I'll ask to speak with a supervisor or something, or perhaps Dish will announce some sort of a package for ANY previous VOOM subscribers.

I guess I'll wait until Sunday (May 1st) when all this shakes out a bit more before I call Dish. Most of the CSRs probably aren't up to speed yet on this breaking news story.

Me too. I feel your pain. However, D* has more satellites going up soon and I think this will motivate them to get their act together regarding HD. They may jump on Voom as well. We'll see if they just use all the extra bandwidth for HD locals. But that's not so bad either in some ways. Reception of my OTA locals could get dicey at times depending on wind, rain etc. And remember, I think D* is on board with Ucentric for the whole house networkable DVR solution that Voom announced at CES.

Jamey K said:
I'm glad for everyone who has E* but this really isolates me even more. Since I'm with D* now, it looks like this forum will move from VOOM to Voom/DISH. I'm stuck....I was told to find another provider and I did. For a year.

For me, this news is as bad as VOOM closing.

It is a shame that Voom did not wait until this deal was completed before they announced the shutdown. Given this info I would have gone back to E* as I am sure many others would have.

I have now had Comcast for the past 2 weeks and the family loves the DVR and VOD features. True, there is no contract with Comcast but it would simply cause to much disruption to switch yet again. In the meantime I will just have to hope that Comcast picks up at least Rave and Monsters.

Those VoOm recievers are a bit more expensive than the Dish Network recievers. This would be a cheap way for Dish Network to get some customers just by swapping out a box and make them sign a contract stating that they will keep the service on for a year (they probably already signed a contract with VoOm so they shouldnt have a problem signing one for Dish Network) plus be offered a Dish at the core slot for that programming as well.

Man Charlie is really full of surprises. He doesn't seem to tell people whats going to happen until the last minute but this was pretty surprising news to me. I was let down thinking there would be no new HD anytime soon and I was happy with the HD I had but REALLY wanted to go with voom about 2 months ago. I'm kinda glad I stayed with DISH knowing they will be supplying VOOMs originals.

He used to say things early and it got him into trouble or at least we got very disapointed when things change.

There seems to be a little bit of a contradiction between the title of this thread and the press release. The title says, "DISH to caryy all 21 in 2006" (also a mistype in it), but the press release quoted says, "expanding to carry all 21 channels by 2006." So, it seems to me that we should get the rest of the VOOM 21 this year.

I got to thinking about this a bit more. I'm not sure if "by 2006" means by the beginning of 2006, or no later than the end of 2006. What do you guys think?

seandudley said:
I got to thinking about this a bit more. I'm not sure if "by 2006" means by the beginning of 2006, or no later than the end of 2006. What do you guys think?
As a come on, it means at the beginning of 2006 or sooner. As an excuse during 2006 when they don't have it, it means by the end of 2006 with any luck.

seandudley said:
It really means nothing other than at the time it was written V* expects that E* will carry all 21 at some point in the future. It isn't a guarantee.

"by 2006" seems to set 2006 as a deadline
"by the end of 2006" would be 'no later than the end of 2006'
"in 2006" would say that they are not planning to try until January

The plan before Voom was announced by E* was to convert to MPEG4 'this fall' and add new HD channels at that time. Which puts us 'on schedule' for late 2005 or early 2006. The receiver needed for MPEG4 is the 411 which is expected in August (read: December :D) and the satellite needed for MPEG4 (E10) is expected to launch late in the year as well.

"by 2006" as in before 2006 seems reasonable, but as I started with --- it is expected with no guarantees.

JL

tdillon said:
I just signed up with DISH for a 4-room deal. The HD DVR 942 and the SD DVR 625 are in the package. 299.99 delivered and installed. I am leasing both boxes. Both STB's have 2 satellite tuners and the HD one also has an OTA ATSC tuner. They use each box to feed 2 tv's. I did the 2 year commitment to get the SD box and the equipment warranty for "free".

I chose the "America's Everything Pak (with locals)" and the "HD programming" package. This package better contain the Voom programming or I will be upset.
I did two 811's and paid 19.95 for the 625 with no comittment to see if they really add the hd content. since i have no comitment my equipment is under constant warranty. when they step up to the plate i will get the hd dvr. my cost was $49.95 refunded first month + 19.95. Then the discounts for the first three months off the programming and 12 months off the hd programming. No losse scenario. If D* comes out with something better, I switch.!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)