Dish to go straight to 5G wireless

I think when DISH does lauch, you are going to be surprised at how fast they go up.

Wish I could say more ;)
I agree. From what I recall, they were already in markets testing years ago. Ergen did flatly state that they will meet the deadlines, and are focused on that. I do think Dish is serioulsy ready to meet the deadlines and launch. I figured that all along, and that was Charlie's fallback plan all along: if he can't find a major [wireless] partner, then he would go it alone. An M&A with a major wireless carrier is still a real possibility.

There's a way to achieve this goal quickly. One way is using their own satellite dishes as repeaters. Perhaps another way is LEO satellites if they can be built and launched quick enough.

Reactions: vcsatellite
If they're not going to offer unlimited unthrottled home internet, then they're just duplicating what everyone else is doing and they're wasting money that could be put toward bettering their satellite TV service.
The future is wireless streaming. All data, all through the air. Sat isn't the future (my apologies to Musk who thinks otherwise). Ergen knows this.

I think a crucial piece is being able to stuff as much as can be stuffed into a single tower to allow much easier deployment of services to rural areas.
I think when DISH does lauch, you are going to be surprised at how fast they go up.

Wish I could say more ;)
If that is the case, then they are just stuck with the whole 5G access issue, unless, they plan to hog it for themselves, and you'll need proprietary equipment to access it.

The future is wireless streaming. All data, all through the air. Sat isn't the future (my apologies to Musk who thinks otherwise). Ergen knows this.

I think a crucial piece is being able to stuff as much as can be stuffed into a single tower to allow much easier deployment of services to rural areas.
If that is the case, then they are just stuck with the whole 5G access issue, unless, they plan to hog it for themselves, and you'll need proprietary equipment to access it.

until there is 100% coverage in the us with 50mbps or higher streaming is not the future
iirc 20% of the us has no access to broadband

Reactions: Jim S.
until there is 100% coverage in the us with 50mbps or higher streaming is not the future
iirc 20% of the us has no access to broadband
Let me repeat, streaming is the future. With better and better systems, it'll become possible to use less infrastructure to offer rural coverage.

Reactions: Stargazer
Let me repeat, streaming is the future. With better and better systems, it'll become possible to use less infrastructure to offer rural coverage.

its possible now
but not worth it to anyone
Verizon, att, ect could all offer unlimited streaming plans to rural customers that cannot get any other internet. but they dont.

I cant even get cellular coverage at my lake house and had virtually no coverage at the ranch. Lucky to have 6M DSL at the lake. The ranch had nothing but dialup or sat internet

Verizon, att, ect could all offer unlimited streaming plans to rural customers that cannot get any other internet. but they dont.

They already do, somewhat. I have unlimited 4g LTE data on my phone with Verizon now. I connect my 4g LTE Iphone to my TV with an HDMI adapter cable and I can stream as much as I want. I can also connect my Netgear wireless repeater/router wirelessly to the hotspot on my phone and run my home network off it with no additional cost. Recently dumped DSL in favor of LTE.

Edit: I should add that Comcast won't let you do "screen mirroring" of your Xfinity streaming channels from phone to TV. Netflix, MLB.tv, etc do allow it. In those circumstances, for example ESPN, I use their native app on my phone to mirror to TV.

Last edited:
I am little miffed at them with the guide/recording problems, but got to admit they are doing something right with streaming when you see Sling on the front page of the New York Times (how reporters use technology).

They already do, somewhat. I have unlimited 4g LTE data on my phone with Verizon now. I connect my 4g LTE Iphone to my TV with an HDMI adapter cable and I can stream as much as I want. I can also connect my Netgear wireless repeater/router wirelessly to the hotspot on my phone and run my home network off it with no additional cost. Recently dumped DSL in favor of LTE.

Edit: I should add that Comcast won't let you do "screen mirroring" of your Xfinity streaming channels from phone to TV. Netflix, MLB.tv, etc do allow it. In those circumstances, for example ESPN, I use their native app on my phone to mirror to TV.
Will it work with an Ipad?

Sent from my SM-G920V using the SatelliteGuys app!

Will it work with an Ipad?

Sent from my SM-G920V using the SatelliteGuys app!

Yes, you can add an iPad to the plan. You have to have a plan with a phone on it, then you can add a couple of other devices to it. You can add a tablet or mifi device. Also, you can have a multi phone plan and add other devices to it.

Doesn't some of what you're doing count against the 10GB hotspot limit where it slows down to 3G if you go over?
I haven't changed to the new plans because I use my iphone personal hotspot button when my terrible rural WISP provider doesn't work at all.

Yes, you can add an iPad to the plan. You have to have a plan with a phone on it, then you can add a couple of other devices to it. You can add a tablet or mifi device. Also, you can have a multi phone plan and add other devices to it.

This is only partially correct. Tablets added to the Unlimited plan get 10gb at high speed, then they are throttled down to 3G speeds (max 3mbps). I called VZW just now to confirm.

Doesn't some of what you're doing count against the 10GB hotspot limit where it slows down to 3G if you go over?
I haven't changed to the new plans because I use my iphone personal hotspot button when my terrible rural WISP provider doesn't work at all.

So far they haven't throttled my hotspot after the 10 GB hotspot cap.

Streaming from the phone itself to the TV via the Lightning to HDMI cable is completely unlimited.

If some of you are in a rural location like me, and Verizon covers your area, the Unlimited plan might help you with your broadband issues. I did have DSL through Fairpoint, but it topped out at 21mbps. Verizon's tower puts out over 60mbps regularly.

IMG_5063.png

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)