Dish to Launch DISH Earth Channel

I don't know... When I tuned in to channel 212 for the first time "The Blue Danube" was playing and I thought it was perfectly apropos! :) Of course, Stanley Kubrik's vision of 2001 had a little to do with that.

When i tuned to the channel today and heard Steely Dan's "Black Cow" playing, it didn't quite fit. Then when it was followed by "Me and My Arrow", all I could think of was the commercial for the lousy Plymouth Arrow!

See ya
Tony

I guess it's a matter of taste and personal preference. I would prefer classical music, but not Pops (the Pops channel).
On the other hand, if they continue changing the audio channel from time to time, that would probably work for everyone.

Wow, what could be more “compelling” than watching a low grade image of the earth in real time from 22,000 miles away?

I’m looking forward to the excitement and live action of the rumored new TMC (Termite Mound Channel).

This thread just proves that people will complain and bitch about absolutely anything if given the opportunity! :rolleyes:

...OK, back on topic with a question. Has anybody checked 212 to see if it's FTA?

Nope, encrypting by three different systems ! And taking only 700 kbps bandwidth for video and 100 kbps for audio.

Attachments

• earth212.JPG
    earth212.JPG
    138.6 KB · Views: 234
Continuing with the OT posts... It's depressing to see how little of Kubrik's (or should we say Clarke's) vision actually came true by 2001. Today we can baredly get a few people into low earth orbit, much less back to the moon or out to Jupiter. Space tourism? Ha! Cryogenic suspension? Nope. Centrifugal force used for artificial gravity? Never even tested once! Sentient computers? Not even close.
I feel yer pain. :) I'm still waiting for those flying cars that we'll all be driving by 1990.

Why do I have this feeling that some folks may get a couple of adult beverages in them, fire up the Earth Channel and stare in amazement :)

I did a 12 hour recording on my 622. It's more interesting to watch at 300x speed than in real-time. At some point, I expect we'll see the moon go behind the Earth and emerge on the other side. I think that a Full moon would work best due to the crappy image quality after the sun moves past the satellite's 9:00 position.

I did a 12 hour recording on my 622. It's more interesting to watch at 300x speed than in real-time. At some point, I expect we'll see the moon go behind the Earth and emerge on the other side. I think that a Full moon would work best due to the crappy image quality after the sun moves past the satellite's 9:00 position.
The only moon you will see is charlie giving it to D*.:rolleyes::p

Mankind has progressed more technically in the last 100 years than in the previous 2,000 years altogether. Like America, love it or leave it. I mean the Earth Channel, not Earth. If you do not like the music, mute the sound and play whatever you like. Don't you have an AV Reveiver.

Anyone want to see a moonrise? You can see it right now!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)