Dish to unveil 4k?

Could be, but at least there is a benefit to 4K that can be enjoyed without having to wear another pair of glasses.
Is there? Other than the possibility of HDR (that isn't guaranteed to be part of the UHD bargain), do most people sit close enough to their displays to discern the difference?

hint: the answer to the proximity question is no.

There are a handful of 4K channels ready to go. But none of them have announced anything yet... and you probably won't see them announce anything until they are up and available.

I do occasional work for one of the networks and they have been 4K ready since spring. They are just waiting for a providers to carry their signal. But if you ask anyone there about 4K then Mums the word, but you do get a nice wink every now and then. ;)
i undertand so none are public yet riight i am hoping that dish is making room for some 4k channels.

None. That's the stupidity of wanting something for the sake of wanting something new and different.

I expect that linear UHD content is probably still a couple of years away at least if it shows up at all.

I case you're wondering, I'm open to the idea that linear UHD won't happen or if it does, it will be a short-lived fad. I say this with an understanding that ESPN has a whole lot invested in UHD and how ready they claim they are to move. All of ESPN's soldiers and all of ESPN's men couldn't save 3D that literally brought a new dimension to TV.

It's stupidity to compare 3D to UHD when justifying the life of the format.

They both have issues. UHD is bandwidth both in broadcast and in DVR hard drive space. 4K seems to be a better solution to the large television screen consumer. HD benefits almost anyone.

4k probably won't go the way of 3d, but the general home utilization of 4k is probably further down the road.

4k probably won't go the way of 3d, but the general home utilization of 4k is probably further down the road.

We will see. I'm betting more people want a better picture at home. HDR and wider color included. Resolution will be the least important for true UHD.

3D had so many things against it. I dont disagree it'll be hard to get 2160p channels when we never even got 1080p, but my issue is with using 3D as a comparison because 3D had so many things against:

• Some displays did a poor job at it so it looked worse than the 1080p 2D counterpart
  • expensive accessories
  • headaches for many people
  • 3D cameras and needed techniques when shooting to make it look good.

I never thought people were gonna wanna sit down and watch 9 hours of football with glasses on. Many tv shows are already shot with a 2.8k arri alexa, not like things have to change. Plus, this will be like 1080p soon, every set will just about be UHD ready, so consumers wont need to do much if they want to experience it. IMO 3D at home and in the theater was a money grab, this is an evolution of PQ. 3D was never a PQ thing, because as I said many times it was worse.

But once again, I think bandwidth is an issue and HEVC is out so we will have to see what happens.

What does UHD bring to the party that really sets itself apart from HD? Sure, it is more pixels and maybe a larger color palette, but who's going to see it?

You'll recall that the industry has more or less stepped right over 1080p.

Some displays did a poor job at it so it looked worse than the 1080p 2D counterpart
The performance of UHD displays may vary widely as well and there's also the issue of frame rate. Do you suppose UHD at 24fps is going to be the TV sports watcher's favorite?
expensive accessories
And the adapters and UHD TVs themselves aren't expensive?
headaches for many people
If you have to sit close enough to the TV to tell the difference, add nausea.

Reactions: Tyralak
How much bandwidth does a 4k channel take? Compared to an HD channel. Just thinking how much bandwidth 4k takes - if Dish is going to be a player in 4k, would they have bandwidth for many channels, even with the 8PSK conversion? And they need that bandwidth on both arcs I would assume. Just curious comparing HD to 4k. Each transponder has 8 or 9 HD Channels, are we looking at 2 or 3 4k channels per transponder?

The performance of UHD displays may vary widely as well and there's also the issue of frame rate. Do you suppose UHD at 24fps is going to be the TV sports watcher's favorite?
And the adapters and UHD TVs themselves aren't expensive?If you have to sit close enough to the TV to tell the difference, add nausea.

As usual you know very little about what you are discussing, yet you just keep on doing it. Bye.

This seems to fit here:

https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/...t-non-commercial-uhd-channel-in-north-america

I know some sporting events have been shot with 4K cameras, but they're being used to give zoom capability in replays.
there is also going to be a meeting next to debut the new 4k channel
Wednesday, November 18, 2015

“NASA UHDTV from the International
Space Station to your Home,
North America’s First Consumer UHD Channel”

Date: Wednesday, November 18, 2015
Where: The Egyptian Theater 6712 Hollywood Boulevard Los Angeles, CA 90028
Time: 6:30pm Reception, Presentation begins at 7:15 pm

The Hollywood Section of SMPTE is proud to announce the November 18th, 2015 section meeting: NASA UHDTV from the International Space Station to your Home.

Presenters: Peter Alexander, CMO Harmonic,
Rodney Grubbs, Program Manager, Imagery Experts Program, NASA

This November, NASA and Harmonic made television history when they launched NASA TV UHD, the first consumer Ultra HD (UHD) channel in North America, allowing viewers to enjoy NASA footage on a wide range of television and Internet-connected devices.

The presentation will describe the footsteps that NASA and Harmonic took leading up to the deployment of this groundbreaking new TV channel. An overview of the history of NASA’s photo imaging and digital television program and the end-to-end UHD video delivery system used today.

The discussion will include the implementation process for showcasing the breathtaking beauty and grandeur of the universe in 4K. The presentation will provide an overview of the challenges that encountered delivering 2160p 60 resolution video from space; lessons learned about the UHD environment through this project and future technology innovations on the horizon for NASA TV UHD

http://www.eventbrite.com/e/smpte-hollywood-november-meeting-tickets-19043842646?aff=es2

We will see. I'm betting more people want a better picture at home. HDR and wider color included. Resolution will be the least important for true UHD.
The picture is better, but 4K is more beneficial for larger screens, than smaller screens. The step up from SD to HD was from molehill to mountain. This just takes us from the top of Mt. McKinley to the top of Mt. Everest. Notable increase, but the payoff is less. And we still are stuck with the bigger issue as noted below.
How much bandwidth does a 4k channel take? Compared to an HD channel. Just thinking how much bandwidth 4k takes - if Dish is going to be a player in 4k, would they have bandwidth for many channels, even with the 8PSK conversion? And they need that bandwidth on both arcs I would assume. Just curious comparing HD to 4k. Each transponder has 8 or 9 HD Channels, are we looking at 2 or 3 4k channels per transponder?
More bandwidth to broadcast, more bandwidth to stream, and a heck of a lot of bandwidth to save to the DVR. 4K's biggest issue is the technology isn't quite ready for it, much like HD back in the early aughts.

scott says the directv and dish will push real hard next year for 4k so maybe dish is making room for lots of 4k channels.he says that there is a handful so far that have 4k channels maybe there will be more next year.

How much bandwidth does a 4k channel take? Compared to an HD channel.
That depends entirely on what manner of UHD they offer. If it is 24 or ~30fps, it should be quite a bit less than if it is ~60fps. If it is live TV, it will probably require more bandwidth than something that has been painstakingly compressed. The NASA story suggest that what they offer will likely fall in the latter category (parsing the term "footage").

The 8PSK vs QPSK argument is probably a red herring as most of the DISH HD content has been 8PSK for a while now.

HEVC UHD is potentially double the bandwidth of the same HD content and frame rate if done deliberately but I haven't heard what the practical "on-the-fly" numbers are.

I think there will also be an issue of deciding how or what manner of additional compression (possibly frame rate reduction or interlacing?) the carriers are going to employ to insure they don't run over their link budgets.

The picture is better, but 4K is more beneficial for larger screens, than smaller screens. The step up from SD to HD was from molehill to mountain. This just takes us from the top of Mt. McKinley to the top of Mt. Everest. Notable increase, but the payoff is less. And we still are stuck with the bigger issue as noted below.
This is the crux of the issue. There is a (marginally noticeable) improvement, but the sacrifices in bandwidth outweigh any real-world improvements. A bigger benefit would be to utilize the bandwidth properly for 1080p with less compression.

This is a good summation: http://www.cnet.com/news/why-ultra-hd-4k-tvs-are-still-stupid/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)