Dish to unveil 4k?

Not being a skeptic necessarily, but how close are you to that TV set. If you are several feet back, with only a 40" screen, I would have to think that a lot of your perceived difference over a 1080p set would have to be the placebo effect. Now, if your sitting 2-3' away, I could see how you could tell.

That post doesn't answer my question. Your later post does. Get the Black Friday Samsung SUHD. You won't be disappointed in the upscaling and you will be ready for 4k content when available, or if you get faster Internet. (Samsung has an upgrade feature for future refinement of the standards.)

That post doesn't answer my question. Your later post does. Get the Black Friday Samsung SUHD. You won't be disappointed in the upscaling and you will be ready for 4k content when available, or if you get faster Internet. (Samsung has an upgrade feature for future refinement of the standards.)
I have a 4 year old 60" Sammy plasma that was top of the line at the time, I don't really "need" one right now. That's why I think I will wait and see what CES holds before I pull the trigger on spending $2000 plus tax. I might have to spend more in the spring, but I am afraid they might come out with a "must have" feature, and of course, the technology will inevitably improve some and prices might come down a little.

Thanks for the review.

Your very welcome.

My situation when I bought my 4K UHDTV was a must have,my 1080p HDTV had problems and I needed to replace it once I found out how much it would cost to repair it.
The reason I went with a budget 4K UHDTV was a natural choice because the newer 4K UHDTV's will have HDR and WCG which my budget 4K UHDTV does not have.
I also believe the in the near future they will offer an 8K SUHDTV,but I also believe that anything above 8K is where the human eye will not be able to see the difference.
There are those now who claim to not be able to see a difference between 1080p and 2160p and if I could not see a difference I would stay with 1080p.

I have a 4 year old 60" Sammy plasma that was top of the line at the time, I don't really "need" one right now. That's why I think I will wait and see what CES holds before I pull the trigger on spending $2000 plus tax. I might have to spend more in the spring, but I am afraid they might come out with a "must have" feature, and of course, the technology will inevitably improve some and prices might come down a little.

That's the smart choice because you have plasma I would only recommend to you to only look at the OLED displays which are the highest reviewed displays available now,but they are pricey.

I see references to being able to and not being able to see the difference of 1080(I or P) to 4K(UHD). Just to be clear that is not the question, there is a difference, and the human eye can see it. But to get the improvement in resolution you have to be within the distances to see it. If you are not it is placebo. What you may see, but not necessarily only attributed to 4K is better colors, better contrast, that can be seen outside the distances. Those attributes may also be the result of simply better processing of the picture as newer TV's are made but also it being 4K. My friend's three year newer LG 1080P TV does have better contrast and a little better colors especially facial than my LG TV.

I already see prices for 4K tv's nearing 1080p prices, may have less options/controls but looking at places like CNET have very good pictures. Again, this isn't the 3D thing, even paying a little more over a comparable 1080 set is probably worth it. Just be aware to get the full improvement you must sit the distances given for the size of the TV.

4K will become mainstream but not because consumers want it or because broadcasters use it.
You appear to have made the egregious error of equating UHD TVs with UHD content.

1080p TVs are clearly the mainstream now and the amount of 1080p content carried by pay TV providers is miniscule. There may still be more 3D TVs out there than UHD TVs.

I noticed Best Buy has a pretty good deal on a Samsung SUHD series 65" set on Black Friday
I was similarly impressed by the flat screen SUHD when I last visited my favorite CE store (not Best Buy). It looked much better than the less expensive LG OLED (but didn't have the extremely wide viewing angle that is kind of important in my living room).

If I needed a new TV, I'd probably pop for the flat screen SUHD. As it is, my 10 year old JVC LCOS is hanging on.

Ok

Im one of those people who have both Dish and Direct.
Dish equipment still my favorite all around system.
My favorite is being able to connect my Bose Headphones via blu tooth.

But Im baffled that Dish has yet to showcase 4k..

Direct seems ahead though slightly with 4K
Strange since Dish is the hardware/system leader.

So Im curious when Dish will roll out 4k?
Wonder what they are waiting for.

Im not counting Netflix on dish as 4k....
Is Direct's 4K the main DVR receiver or is it a little satellite unit like a Joey? I am hoping DISH comes out with a Super Hopper with 4K. I don't want to have a 4K Joey at my main TV area. If they don't I guess I will put the 4K Joey in the garage and hope the cold weather doesn't effect it.

UHD TV does have a better, wider, color space. And 3D would likely be better.
While UHD as a technology has the potential for HDR, capable panels are only now becoming available. With relatively few exceptions, the TVs in homes (and in many stores) are not HDR capable.

Is Direct's 4K the main DVR receiver or is it a little satellite unit like a Joey? I am hoping DISH comes out with a Super Hopper with 4K. I don't want to have a 4K Joey at my main TV area. If they don't I guess I will put the 4K Joey in the garage and hope the cold weather doesn't effect it.
It's certain models of tvs that act as clients of the Genie. I don't remember hearing anything about them releasing a 4K unit, but that could have changed as I don't know much about the hr54

Is Direct's 4K the main DVR receiver or is it a little satellite unit like a Joey?
DIRECTV's current any-brand-TV solution is a client box. If you have a "DIRECTV 4K Ready" TV (most SMART Samsungs, high end Sonys), the TV has a client built in.

If they built UHD into the Hopper, it would likely be quite a bit more expensive for everyone to get a Hopper and that's not a good idea until a majority of the subscribers are subscribing to UHD programming at some level. If they made a UHD specific Hopper, the economies of scale would likely be awful.

I noticed Best Buy has a pretty good deal on a Samsung SUHD series 65" set on Black Friday. I looked at it the other day, last time I was at Best Buy. I was impressed with it, and have thought about upgrading.
That being said, I am still hesitant at this time because there is really no content I can get right now, the broadband speeds available where I live are not fast enough for streaming, UHD Blu-Ray isn't out yet, and Dish doesn't have any content.
I think the wisest choice for me will be to wait until after CES and see what the new models hold in store. Maybe by the time they come out in the spring, Dish will have something available and UHD Blu-Ray will be out.
Sad thing is, if I lived 3 miles closer to "town" where CenturyLink's CO is, I could get 25Mbps down instead of 4 down.
The internet providers are all going to place caps on service to squeeze out more bucks so it remains to be seen how that will affect UHD streaming. I've had unlimited forever on my 15MB wireless service but was just informed any changes to the account will result in having to choose one of their new capped plans. This is a bummer as I migrate south for several months and usually place that account on vacation. So I have to decide whether to continue to pay while away to keep the unlimited downloads or to roll the dice with more expensive capped plans. I'm leaning to just paying the piper while I'm gone.

The internet providers are all going to place caps on service to squeeze out more bucks so it remains to be seen how that will affect UHD streaming. I've had unlimited forever on my 15MB wireless service but was just informed any changes to the account will result in having to choose one of their new capped plans. This is a bummer as I migrate south for several months and usually place that account on vacation. So I have to decide whether to continue to pay while away to keep the unlimited downloads or to roll the dice with more expensive capped plans. I'm leaning to just paying the piper while I'm gone.
I think CenturyLink has either 250 or 500 GB caps depending on the speed. I am not sure though. Probably a few streams of UHD might get you, so, like you say, it probably doesn't matter much that I can't get a fast enough speed.

Is that upgrade available on the 8500? I was told that even though the brains were external, it was not hardware upgradable and obviously, a panel upgrade is out of the question.

The ad is for model number UN65JS8500FXZA that features a One Connect mini. Did you mean to confirm that the 8550 is One Connect upgradeable?

Yes.
Not all 8550 are10 bit panels.
You'll need 10 bit for the future.

You'll need 10 bit for the future.
You won't need it, but you'll surely want it. Otherwise most the arguments of UHD superiority are moot for those sitting much more than a diagonal measure away from their panel.

As I suggested, the number of HDR capable TV models available to the general public can probably be counted on fingers and most of them appeared relatively recently.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts