Status
Please reply by conversation.

sam1070

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Sep 2, 2014
yakima wa
I am trying to decide between directv and. Dish for 4K
What are the major difference between the two for picture quality wise and the avaibilty of the 4K channels
What about the equipment for the 4K
Directv offer the genie 2 which can handle 2 4k streams and I am not sure about the dish system
What about the clients what are they like or preferred between the genie mini and the dish 4K joey

I am trying to decide between directv and. Dish for 4K
What are the major difference between the two for picture quality wise and the avaibilty of the 4K channels
What about the equipment for the 4K
Directv offer the genie 2 which can handle 2 4k streams and I am not sure about the dish system
What about the clients what are they like or preferred between the genie mini and the dish 4K joey
I didn't know DISH had any 4k programming or channels .... I could be wrong as I don't get over there often.

Last edited:
You might also want to consider what might happen in the future. Right now there are no 'network' 4K channels, such as HBO or ESPN, but what might happen if the content providers start to add 4K channels? Does DISH have the satellite bandwidth available to add those channels? We know DIRECTV does since they have the reverse band bandwidth just sitting there now to be able to carry those future channels.

But if you don't want to worry about the future, right now DIRECTV has two channels that are on 24x7, one being a DIRECTV produced channel that shows documentaries, some network programs like "How it's Made" and concerts. The second is a PPV channel for movies , if you can afford the price. They also have a third channel that shows live sports programming, such as a few holes at the Masters this weekend or soccer matches, baseball, basketball and NASCAR racing but those have no fixed schedule, you usually don't know what's going to be shown for sure until a week or so before it airs.

To me it boiled down to two things when I switched from Dish to DirecTV. Dish, in the latest Hopper, has the best DVR on the planet. DirecTV has better picture quality. There seem to be a couple of TV brands that cannot handle the HDR 4K programming from DirecTV. Certain Samsung and Sony models.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)