**DISH ViP 722 lock-up/freezing vide problems!!!**

Hi, I am sorry that you are having a problem with your DVR and I would like to assist you. Can you please tell me what percentage of your hard drive is full right now? Also, please PM me your account or phone number so I can check the internal diagnostics on the receiver? Thank you!
Is there anyone handling this kind of problem anymore? I had a VIP722 for about 8 years and about six months ago it died (drive died) and was replaced by Dish. This one just started with the freezing issue and the Dish seems pointed OK but the 722 takes it time locking onto it. It never had this before and this dish was installed by a technician about two years ago have NO obstructions. I am paying a "rental' fee (at 88 years old can't afford upgrading to one with bells and whistles) and they want $95 to send a technician. I am sure the replacement I received is a rebuilt one and should be covered by them, as they did not GIVE it to me, but seems to have leased it. Any help is appreciated. I wish the drive would not run 24 hours a day, since it is only needed about 12 hours at the most. I have tried to keep it from getting too hot but treated it the same as the one that lasted 8 years. It is possible the "rebuilding" was not up to par and should not be at my expense.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Hope I get the info right. ACCOUNT NUMBER is 8255 9096 2490 4196 anything else? the account is about 10 years old. thanks for any help!

Sorry... forgot about the capacity of hard drive. Not sure about percentage but only about 6 items that are 30 to 60 minute TV shows. Mostly for my Wife's "old favorites" and they are not all that important, if the drive could be formatted or something else.

Is there anyone handling this kind of problem anymore? I had a VIP722 for about 8 years and about six months ago it died (drive died) and was replaced by Dish. This one just started with the freezing issue and the Dish seems pointed OK but the 722 takes it time locking onto it. It never had this before and this dish was installed by a technician about two years ago have NO obstructions. I am paying a "rental' fee (at 88 years old can't afford upgrading to one with bells and whistles) and they want $95 to send a technician. I am sure the replacement I received is a rebuilt one and should be covered by them, as they did not GIVE it to me, but seems to have leased it. Any help is appreciated. I wish the drive would not run 24 hours a day, since it is only needed about 12 hours at the most. I have tried to keep it from getting too hot but treated it the same as the one that lasted 8 years. It is possible the "rebuilding" was not up to par and should not be at my expense.
This thread is 10 years old.

Best thing to do is call back for tech appointment. If you don't want to pay the $95 tech visit fee (which is applicable without a protection plan), then you can usually argue your way out of it by threatening to cancel. They can waive it or add protection plan free for one month.

This thread is 10 years old.

Best thing to do is call back for tech appointment. If you don't want to pay the $95 tech visit fee (which is applicable without a protection plan), then you can usually argue your way out of it by threatening to cancel. They can waive it or add protection plan free for one month.
Thanks, Was hoping there was a way to determine if the issue was dish alignment or the VIP722 receiver. If it is likely the receiver, no sense in fooling with the dish alignment. Just wanted to tell them how much I appreciate the poorly rebuilt VIP722 replacement. I like the idea of the 30 day protection, at least for this problem. This is only the 2nd time in 8 years that I have a visit by dish to install a new dish when we moved 5 years ago and to replace the bad VIP722 about six months ago. Next time I will take better care than to respond to such an old thread.

Thanks, Was hoping there was a way to determine if the issue was dish alignment or the VIP722 receiver. If it is likely the receiver, no sense in fooling with the dish alignment. Just wanted to tell them how much I appreciate the poorly rebuilt VIP722 replacement. I like the idea of the 30 day protection, at least for this problem. This is only the 2nd time in 8 years that I have a visit by dish to install a new dish when we moved 5 years ago and to replace the bad VIP722 about six months ago. Next time I will take better care than to respond to such an old thread.
If fan is always on and it's freezing up it may be overheating. You can try blowing it out with compressed air to see if that helps, but most likely will need a new receiver based on your description.

I agree with the last poster, could be overheating.

I've had my 722K since 2011 and when I got it would always freeze until somebody here recommended a USB fan to pull air out of it and cool it (thanks to whoever recommended that). I just put it over the vent on the back left side. It worked and haven't had any problems since.

I got this but it's not available anymore:
Amazon product ASIN B00080G0BK
View: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00080G0BK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1
This might work if you could find a single fan:
Amazon product ASIN B00JLV4BWC
View: https://www.amazon.com/AC-Infinity-MULTIFAN-Receiver-Playstation/dp/B00JLV4BWC/ref=sr_1_6?crid=1XLRMPCK3WD1J&keywords=usb+fan&qid=1691277049&s=electronics&sprefix=usb+fan%2Celectronics%2C211&sr=1-6
Also I think if you press Menu 6-1-3 on your remote (not sure since I don't have my receiver plugged in at the moment), you should be able to see the counters displayed on the original post of this thread.

HDD Average Temperature of 120 or above probably means overheating.
Any help is appreciated. I wish the drive would not run 24 hours a day, since it is only needed about 12 hours at the most. I have tried to keep it from getting too hot but treated it the same as the one that lasted 8 years.

You could do what I do, just unplug the receiver when you're not using it, like before you go to sleep at night provided of course you don't need to record something in the middle of the night.

Lastly, you or a moderator might want to erase your account number on post #22 of this thread for security reasons (I accidentally did that once).

Unplugging your receiver when you aren't using it can cause a singular issue. It won't get its updates in the middle of the night as it should. This will cause nags during the day when you are using it that it wants to do a download. Of course the 722 hasn't had a download in quite some time so that may be a moot point.

Unplugging your receiver when you aren't using it can cause a singular issue. It won't get its updates in the middle of the night as it should. This will cause nags during the day when you are using it that it wants to do a download. Of course the 722 hasn't had a download in quite some time so that may be a moot point.
The only thing there is to download is the program guide which downloads upon boot up. However sometimes after extended periods of time being off when it comes back on it may not have all the channels and have to keep resetting to get them back and possibly call into dish for a programming hit.

You could do what I do, just unplug the receiver when you're not using it, like before you go to sleep at night provided of course you don't need to record something in the middle of the night.

Additional, the hardest action on a hard drive is power startup and shutdown, I.e., spin up and spin down; the spin up in particular. A past job that I had was writing SW for hard drive longevity studies.

While over heating a HD does shorten its life, repeated spin up/downs significantly increases the chance of crashing the R/W head and basically destroys the drive. This was a problem in the old 5xx receiver days with the Seagate HDs Dish used.

This isn’t quite as true these days as it once was (hard drive manufacturers have improved drive reliability), but it is still a real issue.

This is why data centers never turn the power to hard drives off once they are first spun up if they can at all help it.

My 722K was installed in 2008 and is still running. (Its always had a little fan next to it to help out.) This fall it had a bunch of glitches signal losses. Once the weather got better, I got out my compass and protractor and realized a tree had grown into the signal path. Once that was addressed, everything seems brand-new.

Is Dish still replacing these if/when they die? Will my EHDs still work on whatever they use now? I assume I’ll need to do something someday but I’m way out of touch with dish equipment. Maybe I didn’t need to mention that on a post that starts with “2008”!

My 722K was installed in 2008 and is still running. (Its always had a little fan next to it to help out.) This fall it had a bunch of glitches signal losses. Once the weather got better, I got out my compass and protractor and realized a tree had grown into the signal path. Once that was addressed, everything seems brand-new.

Is Dish still replacing these if/when they die? Will my EHDs still work on whatever they use now? I assume I’ll need to do something someday but I’m way out of touch with dish equipment. Maybe I didn’t need to mention that on a post that starts with “2008”!
As long as thee are 722s in stock, refurbished is an absolute, you can get a 722 replacement. When there are none left and you have to move up to a Hopper, your existing EHD will work just fine with it. If you were to move to a Wally, it would not work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)