Dish vs VOOM PQ????????????

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Tahoerob

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 10, 2003
Hayden, ID
Sorry if this has come up before.
I have a Dish 921 with the "big" HD pak!!
I am seriously considering Voom once the HD DVR unit comes out his year.
Has someone compared current PQ of Voom to Dish for SD & HD channels????

I used to have Dish, but dumped it when I got Voom. I would say that the quality of the HD channels is now just as good as Dish (they had some PQ problems for a while, but they seem to have been straightened out now), and I think the SD quality is a little better than Dish.

Tahoerob said:

SD quality changes from channel to channel. You will find that VOOM does better in some while in others Dish does better and yet in others both are the same.

HD: All HD channels in both services are the same. The one I will give Dish an edge in HDnet. But yet HDnet is not on VOOM so it is not a fair comparison.

I prefer the Voom SD PQ overall, there are a few turkeys up there, but for the most part Voom has a much sharper, detailed image.

HDNET HD is the best I've ever seen, last night Destiny Turned On the Radio & Bikini Destinations were awesome. I think once Voom cranks the rez back up to 1080i on the Cinema10 channels they will look as good as HDNET.

DiscoveryHD & ESPNHD are the same now.

Voom HD picture is fine except for the @#%#@ picture stutter on all channels once every minute or so.

DarrellP said:
I prefer the Voom SD PQ overall, there are a few turkeys up there, but for the most part Voom has a much sharper, detailed image.

HDNET HD is the best I've ever seen, last night Destiny Turned On the Radio & Bikini Destinations were awesome. I think once Voom cranks the rez back up to 1080i on the Cinema10 channels they will look as good as HDNET.

DiscoveryHD & ESPNHD are the same now.

When and why did they turn down the res on the Cinema channels? What is it set to now?

Cinema10 is being broadcast in 720P. For some reason, ESPNHD is in 1080i.

Regarding stutter, everytime I watch Bikini Destinations on Dish HDNET, there are stutters galore but I think it's in the video source because it always happens when they do SlowMo shots like a closeup of waves rolling in, the stutter is awful. I don't know if it's frame drops or just the way it was filmed.

Tahoerob said:

I have Dish SD and Voom SD looks better on my particular set (Hitachi 57S700) because you can set the Voom box to upconvert the SD channels to 1080i. The Hitachi upconverts SD to 540p or 1080i and it has this morphing halo (from edge enhancing). Basically all of my SD channels look like ESPN Sportscenter now, ie smoothed out. The Dish, using the morphing Hitachi upconversion, looks like poop. I am keeping it for now though for the TiVo.

Thanks fot the input.
My 921 does "upconvert" the SD to 1080i setting. It looks good.

Any word on Voom getting HDNet/Movies???? InHD 1 & 2??????

Also, any word on allowing Voom owners to manually add DTV stations??
Where I live, I am in the DC DMA but the best ABC is another market at a different rotor setting.

Tahoerob said:
Thanks fot the input.
My 921 does "upconvert" the SD to 1080i setting. It looks good.

Any word on Voom getting HDNet/Movies???? InHD 1 & 2??????

Also, any word on allowing Voom owners to manually add DTV stations??
Where I live, I am in the DC DMA but the best ABC is another market at a different rotor setting.

HDnet or INH: no word yet.

Regarding manual scanning of DTV. It is coming. It will allow you to add multiple DMAs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)