Dish won't activate new 722!

moonwolf22

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
I just got done installing a new 722. I replaced an 811 with it. I have all the channels(Everything pack,locals, all the movie channels plus $10.00/month HD package). I got this receiver to:

1. Have the DVR capability
2. Have the ability to get more HD channels.

I didn't add the second dish yet (to point to 61.5) for the additional HD. I figured no problem, as I would still get the HD I already had, and would install the second dish when the weather got a bit warmer.

Did I mention no problem? Until I called Dish, that is.

Explaining that I would like to activate my new receiver and take the 811 off the account I was told that the HD package I have now would be stopped. When I asked why, I was told that the new 722 wouldn't be able to pick up the HD channels I have now because it is a MPEG-4 receiver and the channels I get now are MPEG-2. Is this true? (Currently have 110,119,121 sat feeds)

I was also informed that since I didn't have the new dish installed yet, in order to activate the 722, they were going to have to charge me for the cost of an additional dish! I explained that I could live without the HD I had now(if it were truly the case of 722 just MPEG-4) and to activate it with just the programming I already had. She said this couldn't be done without charging me for a new dish.

Everything was going smoothly until I mentioned that I didn't have the new dish up yet. She got my receiver and smart card # and was in the process of activating the 722 when I mentioned this. It was all downhill from there.

Like I said, I could go without the HD until I installed a new dish. It would be sooner then later,would just have to bundle up and brave the elements(live in Maine). But to charge me the cost of a dish I don't even have? That they have not installed? (I install and buy everything myself- Just prefer it that way).

Has anyone heard of these issues? I welcome any advice. Thanks.

....I was told that the HD package I have now would be stopped......

The old HD pkg does no longer exist, but should be grandfathered because you had it....

.....When I asked why, I was told that the new 722 wouldn't be able to pick up the HD channels I have now because it is a MPEG-4 receiver and the channels I get now are MPEG-2. Is this true? (Currently have 110,119,121 sat feeds).....

If this were true, none of us would have anything. All of the SD programing is still MPEG2 & thusly, all of the HD recievers decode both. I think you got a bad CSR and should try again :)

Rob

Another question: Can someone own and get a 722 activated without subscribing to HD channels?

ROB: Thanks for the info that SD is in MPEG-2 format. I didn't think of that.

I'll call them back as soon as my "Dish charged to my account" question is answered, and I've cooled down a bit!

I think anytime you upgrade your equiment though,granfathering kind of goes out the door.

That's the reason I still have my 811, for a few more days at least. When the 211 first came out, if I wanted to upgrade to it, I would be forced into one of the "metal" packages. I wasn't ready to do that, so I've kept the 811, along with the old 9.99 HD package.

I have the old $10 package and a 921. When I activated my purchased 622 I had to ask for the hd enable fee before it would receive any hd.
I also do not have a 61 or 129 dish, just 110/119. I also got the Mpeg4 bs,
just ask them how a 622/722 works with the sd channels.

That's the reason I still have my 811, for a few more days at least. When the 211 first came out, if I wanted to upgrade to it, I would be forced into one of the "metal" packages. I wasn't ready to do that, so I've kept the 811, along with the old 9.99 HD package.
There is gonna be a NEW 9.99 package that has lots more channels..get ready to upgrade

That's the reason I still have my 811, for a few more days at least. When the 211 first came out, if I wanted to upgrade to it, I would be forced into one of the "metal" packages. I wasn't ready to do that, so I've kept the 811, along with the old 9.99 HD package

For a few more days? What is changing ina few more days that will want you you upgrade?

If you install the dish yourself you avoid the 18 month commitment. But, you may as well go for the $20/month HD package and get all the new channels, if you keep the old $10/month package you will need to pay a $7/month enabling fee for the 722, and you come out to $17/month anyways. Or you can drop the HD and just pay $7/month.

I put my own dishes in. Just lie and say you already installed the dish.

So after reading these replies, am I correct to say that I should be able to call Dish back up, lie to them that I've installed a second dish, ask that a HD enabling fee be applied and hope that I'll still have my current HD channels showing up after 722 is activated?

I'm pretty sure that the rep added some "notations" to my account as to not having a second dish installed.

Also, no one has answered as to why she said that I was to be charged the cost of a new dish. Doesn't even sound legal!

So after reading these replies, am I correct to say that I should be able to call Dish back up, lie to them that I've installed a second dish, ask that a HD enabling fee be applied and hope that I'll still have my current HD channels showing up after 722 is activated?

I'm pretty sure that the rep added some "notations" to my account as to not having a second dish installed.

Also, no one has answered as to why she said that I was to be charged the cost of a new dish. Doesn't even sound legal!

When I upgraded from my 921 to the 622, I had to pay for the wing dish. If you don't have it, you won't get anymore HD than you had. I'm not sure why they won't let you get the old HD channels that were on 110, since you already had them.

The old HD pkg does no longer exist, but should be grandfathered because you had it....
This isn't how it works. They won't turn on the HD Pak anymore.

This is why it is good to do research before you go to a lot of trouble to buy a bunch of equipment that you could have obtained for free otherwise. A DIU to the ViP receiver would have you up and running with all the HD channels your package provides as well as a free dish and installation.

just lie, say you have the second dish installed, activate the 722 (you might be forced into the 20 bucks a month HD but you can always drop it back down Feb 1st) then call back in and remove the 811.. that should work better then trying to do both at the same time.