Dish. Won't. Let. Go.

memphismafioso

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 22, 2004
Los Angeles
I finally made the jump to DirecTV today for the HR-10 250 after 5 years with Dish. I just wasn't that confident about the 921.

The Dish guy wouldn't let me go. I had to listen to a long speech about how it's not just about the technology and that DirecTV's stock is dropping since the merger and they could go out of business any day. So I told him I didn't like Charlie telling me which HD channels were a good "value." It took a half hour. Finally I just told him that I wanted to be able to watch my NY Giants from LA every weekend. Then he told me they lose boat loads of money on that too. Whew.

Anyways, I swear I couldn't have gotten just about anything out of him for free. An HD install, a large sum of money off a 921. What is the most anyone has ever gotten from them? I wish I would have called before I got my DirecTV installed :D

I didn't realize that Dish had any retention department. Maybe they are finally worried about churn . Maybe I should see what I can get by suggesting I am going to switch to Directv again. :D

I did the same thing last month. Except that I put on a fake Indian accent (I have an Indian name but was born here) and told him my job was outsourced back to India and I have to move back to India.

Worked like a charm..closed my account in 2 seconds

Anyway, are you glad you switched? Tivo is good but I still kinda miss the simplicity of the Dish DVR's. And boy is the Tivo guide S L O W

I just hooked it up a few hours ago...so I don't know if I like it yet. One thing that concerns me is the compression on a few channels. Comedy central looks like ass.

I hope that you are happy. That poor guy from Dish is going to be crying too hard to fall asleep tonight. Its not very nice to break peoples hearts like that.

DISH didn't do anything to try to keep me. I'm glad I made the switch too. I switched back in March. I told them I thought Charlie was acting like a baby when it came to running his business and the no compelling HD comment didn't sit with me too well either.

Dish's retention department is a royal pain in the ..ahem. they try to keep people they can't keep (like people who can't have a line of sight) by telling them lies and offering the moon and they can't keep customers they already have installed because they aren't valued enough.

don't get me started. All I say is during the summer, when school's out, the CSR's at Dish become dumber than a box of rocks... and by the time they learn, schools back in.

Cyclone said:
I hope that you are happy. That poor guy from Dish is going to be crying too hard to fall asleep tonight. Its not very nice to break peoples hearts like that.

LOL Agreed how could you do that to him. Oh well, enjoy the compression...

Not to start another tirade of PQ D* vs E* but I noticed the quality is a little better on D*, especially since the new satellite launch.

I had a customer that called me telling me that Dish Network would not allow him to shut his system off without a reason and that they gave him problems. I think its safe to say that he will never get Dish Network again after that kind of experience.

The best thing to tell them is that you just cannot afford it.

MikeD-C05 said:
I didn't realize that Dish had any retention department. Maybe they are finally worried about churn . Maybe I should see what I can get by suggesting I am going to switch to Directv again. :D
they do now even called me back twice gave me 2months of everything free the first time i called

GaryPen said:
You could also tell them you're moving to another country. Or, you can tell them the truth that you recently killed your wife. I believe they accept that one as a standard excuse now.

:clap :clap :clap :clap

GaryPen said:
You could also tell them you're moving to another country. Or, you can tell them the truth that you recently killed your wife. I believe they accept that one as a standard excuse now.
All those excuses are great, but this one hits them in their most important spot....You could tell them that you'll stop paying them... :D That should make them stop service.

All kidding aside. You just tell them that you are cancelling. Period. End of story. Tell the guy/gal to stop talking, and to deactivate your account effective immediately.

You do not need a reason, other than you no longer wish to receive Dish Network service. It could not be any simpler.

It sounds easy but not when he keeps asking if there is anything he can do to keep you.

He kept trying to have me compare them side by side for a month but, of course, I'd have to call back to cancel. I was thinking...HD DirecTV vs. my SD Dish feed...how am I supposed to compare that.

He even suggested that I keep Dish as a backup?!?

DISH Networks customer retenton department is a Joke. The customers that have had the service for several years and they should try to keep they let disconnect and the customers who signed up a few months ago who haven't even had a chance to prove that they are a loyal customer they bend over backwards to keep!

As far as I know, Directv has a really good retention department :)

Well from what I have been told, in some cases, Dish Network refuses to shut the service off even if you tell them to and they bill you for the service anyways. I have been told this a number of times this past year. I used to never hear of such things.

Directv is a joke. I lost my local channels yesterday on one receiver and could not get any help. I spoke to 7 different people and gave up. And to make matters worse, I finally spoke to a knowledge rep this morning and we discovered my system wasn't setup properly and a technician needs to come out. The earliest date I could take was Sept 11. Thats rights and entire month.

They spend all this time hyping up the TiVo units, but they have no clue on how to install and service the system. I am leaving. I am getting the Dish.

I had to vent, I feel better now.

Dark :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)