Dish1000...Is the Dish500 discontinued?

Mike500

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
Thiepval
If my hunch is right, Dish is no longer making any more Dish500's. All new dishes being made are Dish1000. They are also no longer making standard non+plus DishPro twins.

When the current Dish500 inventory is gone, they will no longer be available, as Dish300's have not been manufactured for over two years. In the same way that they have installed Dish500's with only a single lnb, they will install Dish1000's with twins only, while leaving out the 129 lnb for those installs requiring only 110 and 119.

Scott Greczkowski said:
No Dish is still making Dish 500's, they need them in the areas where the Dish 1000 will not work.

Where will a Dish1000 not work where the Dish500 would? Even a legacy twin would mount on it and see 110 and 119. With the cost of manufacturing the dish without the lnb's to be about the same, why would they manufacture and inventory both? A Dish 1000 will work for 110 and 119, without ever seeing 129.

From what I was told they dont want to put Dish 1000 dishes in areas where 129 is a problem, as they know some folks will try putting on the third lnb to get 129 and then will keep calling Dish looking for support because it's not working.

Scott Greczkowski said:
From what I was told they dont want to put Dish 1000 dishes in areas where 129 is a problem, as they know some folks will try putting on the third lnb to get 129 and then will keep calling Dish looking for support because it's not working.

That same sort of logic would apply to the Dish500 set at 90 degrees skew for 61.5. Wouldn't they have worried about someone putting another lnb on the "Y" adapter so that thy could add a couple of receivers cascaded at 61.5?

I would summise that they do not want to advertise the Dish1000 in ads until all of the 500's are gone. That way, customers would not call to complain why they got a Dish500, when they could have got a Dish1000.

Yeah 500 should be fine in most places! Once the MPEG4 stuff is out I see all of the HD to stay where it is. Then folks with the 500 should be able to get all of the VOOM channels plus any other HD.1000 just another SuperDish and some folks half to have them in their area to mainly get locals.

Unless you have LOCALs on the D1000, they are NOT going to install it for you unless you pay them $99 for the upgrade to get the V* channels. They aren't going to pay for it if they aren't going to use it. They will probably put east coast LiL Digital/HD on the 61.5 when they get R1, so the odds that they would want to provide DP+44s to everyone is VERY SLIM!!!!

Just give them a little while: They use dual 500s for 148/61.5+110+119 nowadays, eventually it'll just be cheaper to give out 1000s with twin brackets instead of triple brackets (kinda like they mount 500s with I brackets).

OTOH, the 300s were single only. 500s are dual and single. I wonder if it'd cost more to keep making the 500s for dual and single installs or just to use 1000s for everything. Whichever is the cheapest route is the way they'll go.

[Keep in mind, it's easier for dealers to get a few boxes of 1000 reflectors and just use different brackets (dual, twin, dual+twin) than it would be for the dealers and the installers to have to have 300s, 500s, and 1000s]..

Again, we'll just have to see.

You guys don't get it. I don't mean the Dish1000 as it is packaged for all three satellite positions. I mean the pan, the protractor/lnb arm and the "W" adapter.

The Dish1000 hardware costs no more to make than the Dish500 hardware. By that, I mean the pole, the protractors. the pan and the lnb holder. These components can do the same function as the Dish500. For 110/119, just place the Dish500 lnb and switch components on it.

This means that Dish no longer has to make and inventory Dish500 parts. It's a logistical matter. Dish no longer makes Dish300 parts or Dish300's. They just use Dish500's in their place. The Dish1000 hardware can serve the same way.

The Dish1000 hardware components will perform the functions of the Dish500 and the Dish300. To keep making, stocking and inventorying the Dish500 protractor arms, pans and "Y" adapters would be a duplication that serves no purpose. The cost of making the hardware would be about the same. Inventorying both would be costly.

When used for 110 and 119 for the Dish500 function, only the 110 and 119 lnb locations would be populated. This was like the original DirecTV triple lnb dish without the 110 sat c kit. It would not matter if there was no 129 LOS. The Dish1000 would do fine for the 110/119 Dish500 function. The receiver will identify it as a Dish500.

So, that's why they will no longer make Dish500 hardware components.

they are also not going to stop making DP twins and quads....why throw up a DPP twin on a single. and why comp a dpp44 for a 924,311,510 type install when a quad works just fine...although if they WANT to throw me DPP44s to use instead of a quad id be more than happy to not run all that extra line <grin>

They will probably no lionger make non +plus DishPro twins, since DishPro singles or duals, which are now manufactured in large quantity will work with DP34's and any other switch whem used at 110 and 119. When manufactured in quantity, the +plus twins cost no more to make than the non +plus twins.

The legacy quad is no longer made but is available a refurbs. The same will be probably true with DP34's and DishPro quads.

I am surprised that they have not put DPP twins on SuperDishes yet. Perhaps this is what we will see in the future especially if they decide to do away with the Dish500 and make only Dish1000's (and SuperDishes of course). I can see this happening if they can get production costs down having them made in bulk. They need to get the cost of the Dish1000 down as it is costing retailers more than a Dish500 due to the DPP twin and DP single in addition to it.

Stargazer said:
I am surprised that they have not put DPP twins on SuperDishes yet. Perhaps this is what we will see in the future especially if they decide to do away with the Dish500 and make only Dish1000's (and SuperDishes of course). I can see this happening if they can get production costs down having them made in bulk. They need to get the cost of the Dish1000 down as it is costing retailers more than a Dish500 due to the DPP twin and DP single in addition to it.

I'm almost sure that, when all of the current Dish500 inventory is gone, they will be shipping Dish1000 without the DPP twin and the 129 lnb, but with their remaining inventory of DishPro twins at the same price that they are selling the current Dish500 to dealers.

I can also see the discontinuance of the non+plus twin and shipping of the same configuration without the 129 lnb for the current Dish500 only markets in the northeast and Florida.

The packing of the DPP twin is because of it's use for the 322/625 dual tuner systems using separators for DHA accounts.

I'd agree with that as I would think that the supply of DP twins and DP singles would be more plentiful than the Dish500 reflector kit themselves.

Stargazer said:
I am surprised that they have not put DPP twins on SuperDishes yet.

That's because they won't physically fit. The SD's spacing on the 105/110 and 119/121 is too close, and special LNBs are used because of this. Now, you can probably use a DP+ Twin on the SD105 on the 119 mount, but since you would need a DP+44 for all 4 sats, you would likely use a DP Twin instead.

OoTLink said:
Why is the DPP44 so flipping expensive anyway?
I'm guessing because it's not in serious mass production (?)
Hasn't the DP34 come down (by half) in the last two years, as it's become more common?

Will they start manufacuring a Dish "1300" Superdish with an LNB assembly for 110,119,121, and 129. I know that 129 is visible on a 121 SD in most locastions withouth even adjusting the dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)