DISH1000 signal Pacific Northwest

FantasyChannel

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 9, 2006
First of all, DISH1000's are cheesy, at least here in Oregon.

Is anyone having any luck with the DISH1000 in NW? I'm consistently hitting 95-100 on DISH500 with dual tuner boxes for 119 and 110, 105-120 for 5xx, 3xx.

I have tried everything with the DISH1000 and have resorted to putting up a second 500 DISH pointing directly at 129.

I'm getting 55-65 on the DISH1000 for 129. 110 really gets killed (75-85) with the 1000 also. 119 is getting 85-90. This signal sucks!!!! Pointing a 500 directly at 129 before feeding into the twin gives me 75, once hooked to the twin around 70.

I always tweak each orbital slot max instead of just aiming in on one and leaving it DNS style. I've tried various skew levels (they say 87 for Portland) but am not having any success. I've gone to many call backs (not all mine) changing out 1000's to two dishes in hopes of higher signal because VOOM doesn't stay on. It rains you know. If 61.5 is handy (hardly) I'm hitting 90s for signal and look for that opportunity as much as possible.

How is everyone else in the country getting in the 80s that I am reading about? I hate how DISH downplays rainfade as a problem, and at the same time has such garbage for signal.

I'm still bothered by the dual tuner boxes having much lower signal than the 5xx, 3xx of old where you were WAY over 100.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Signal Level?

I'm just north of Portland and I'm seeing high 50's to low 60's on 129. I was having a problem with black screens in which my signal was dropping to around 38but with the cold weather everything is working great very strange. Dish is sending a guy out tomorrow to peak the dish but based on your experence I wonder if I should leave well enough alone at least until it warms up.

I'm located in the Wilsonville area and I'm seeing low 50's to mid 60's on 129 with high 80's to low 90's for 110 and 119 with the Dish1000. Similarly to mkephart, I've gotten a number of black screens when moving from one channel to another (specifically when changing to RAVE). I've also seen lost signal lock with the resulting "crash" of what I'm viewing.

I'm going to report these results to my installer tomorrow. I'm worried about when the rain starts again.

Dave Lewis said:
I'm worried about when the rain starts again.

Well that's exactly the problem. 50s/60s ain't gonna cut it here. Arizona yes, Oregon no. That's why I'm preplexed how people are reporting hitting 80 in some of the other threads in other areas of the country. Why we can't hit that high is beyond me. And the last time I couldn't fix someone's 1000 DISH on the coast and didn't want two dishes Dish Network could have cared less. I think the customer canceled. An increase of 10 points by putting up a second dish wasn't going to cut it anyway dealing with coastal rains.

Dave Lewis said:
I'm located in the Wilsonville area and I'm seeing low 50's to mid 60's on 129 with high 80's to low 90's for 110 and 119 with the Dish1000. Similarly to mkephart, I've gotten a number of black screens when moving from one channel to another (specifically when changing to RAVE). I've also seen lost signal lock with the resulting "crash" of what I'm viewing.

I'm going to report these results to my installer tomorrow. I'm worried about when the rain starts again.

I'm just waiting for the rain to start again also to call them. Only two techs(out of four ... one came out twice) that came out here had ladders and peaking meters. It was a joke. Maybe if enough of us PNW'ers squawk loud enough they will listen. If we are paying for this we ought to be able to receive it yes even in the rare and unusual (gasp!) rain!

Last edited:
We're in Lake Union, Seattle, a little north of downtown Seattle.

Using a Dish 1000 with a Dish 921, we get:

110 - 87-88
119 - 102-103
129 - 70-71
148 - 88-90 (separate Dish 300)

The only time we get dropouts is when the seaplanes fly through the signal.

Since we're 200 miles north of Portland, our signal should be weaker than yours.

We only peak the signal on 119.

We're using a DPP44 switch. Maybe it contains an amplifier?

The saga goees on

Well another cold night and no drop outs. I called Dish and cancelled my service call. Tech calls this morning anyway and I tell him everything is ok but I am currious what signal levels he has been able to get on 129. His reply "I have never installed a Dish 1000" My reply "Please don't come". I cannot believe Dish would send out a Tech with no experence with the product in question. Well now the sun is up, it is warming up and the signal drops have come back. I guess I will climb up there and see what is going on, sounds like something must be loose are the LNB might be bad.

How hot is it?

Yeah it is not tropical weather but the problem seems to be tempeture related. It's not like the signal varies like it might be blocked by something, it jumps back and forth from mid sixties to around 38 nothing ever in between.

mkephart said:
I'm getting low 90's on both 110 & 119

Well dang that's pretty good! With the D1000 installation I had a noticeable drop on 110, but I've been able to keep 129 locked in the mid sixties throughout this cool dry spell. Once it starts raining again I am screwed, though.

mkephart said:
I called Dish and cancelled my service call. Tech calls this morning anyway and I tell him everything is ok but I am currious what signal levels he has been able to get on 129. His reply "I have never installed a Dish 1000" My reply "Please don't come". I cannot believe Dish would send out a Tech with no experence with the product in question.

This is how DNS operates, which sounds like where he's from. What training is provided is all on paper and only lasts minutes. Never a hands-on kind of thing. Training in DNS is just so they can say "we told you so" when a tech screws up. They make everyone sign off on receiving training, even for something so lame as the pocketdish which no tech in DNS will ever see, but hey they received the training on it. Much like 721s, 921s, 942s, and the upcoming 622. DNS never gets these receivers as part of their inventory, ship-only to the customer so when a tech goes out to the home to install it they have no clue about the product because they have never seen it! ....meanwhile retailers have usually monkeyed around with these things by then and know them inside and out. A very frustrating thing.

Experence

I did installs a few years back when I was between jobs. It was for a Direct TV contractor and they made every new tech go out for two weeks with a experenced tech for training it worked real well. Unfortunatly it does'nt seem that Dish sees the value of hands on experence. One other thing we would never do is walk off with a customers old dish when upgrading them. I wish I would have been home when my dish 1000 was installed that way I would have my old dish 500 to play with. I paid for it so it is mine, oh well I guess we will see what the Dish 300 I have will do. I have a spare Dish Pro single, Ithink I will try that first.

mkephart said:
Yeah it is not tropical weather but the problem seems to be tempeture related. It's not like the signal varies like it might be blocked by something, it jumps back and forth from mid sixties to around 38 nothing ever in between.
I live north of Seattle and I have continuous drop-outs on the 129 sat with the Dish 1000 with two Dish 411's. I have read a post in another forum that E*5 may not be running at full power so as to extend its operational life span. Lets hope that they might move E*6 over to the 129 location to either help or replace E*5 once E*10 is operational. I have swings from the 60's to drop-outs on all the Voom channels. Yes...had techs out 3 times for dish pointing, 119, skew, birdogging the 129 only, etc. Ended up with various transponder readings of satellites 119 mid to high 90's...110 high 80's to 90...129 high 50's to a high of 71 after the dish was locked down on the final adjustment.

I would not be satisfied with any signal strength readings of around 65-70. I get readings of around 115-120 from 119. I only lose lock during strong storms. I guarantee one will be losing their signal lock a lot more often if they are only getting 65-70 on a clear day.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)