DishHD and Dish'n It Up Details

MW390:

Why would you want a ViP622 or Vip211 or 411 if you don't want HD? I'm sure E* sees no reason to provide a subsidized box to someone who will not be subscribing to HD. That's their way of recouping their costs.

If all you want is to record OTA HD, there are boxes on the market that will do it as a DVR to a hard disk or DVD or both. Some even come with guides.

When I leased my 622 this morning they did not meantion any 18 month commitment. I did have to pay the $299 up front. I was told that the program does not cover receivers but covers tuners. You can get two tuners of which only one can be a HD tuner. You can get two SD tuners, one SD and one HD or a DVR with two tuners.

So, getting a VIP622 counts as two tuners and thus you are set for 1 year. I got the Gold package and it will start when I receive the 622.

If you go to the website and see what it says about upgrading your account it lists it slightly different.
1. Replace a current receiver with anew HD receiver for $49 --they ship it to you.
2. Dish can come to your home and replace two of your current receivers or add dish HD ... and it gives you a couple options.
It does mention the 18 month agreement but that isnt a big deal to me.

I looked and it did not mention anything about only 1 upgrade per year or 6 mo or anything like that.
I am at work so I cant be too specific but check what your upgrade options are when you go to your account online.

Same here, I ordered the 211 self install and no mention of an 18 month commitment on the phone. Maybe it’s for the people who have it installed by a local dish retailer?

Called from work to swap a 311 for a vip211. Short hold time, all set up to do the swap by UPS for $49, but couldn't because the computer wants to know which one of my 311s is going back. Have to call back from home with the R/S numbers. :(

SatelliteGAL said:
It does mention the 18 month agreement but that isnt a big deal to me.
I talked to two different CSRs today. Both said that you can use the Dish'n It Up deal only once. One of them said "once a year", another one said "once in 18 months".

I discussed the following specific scenario:
1. Get an extra 211 box for $49 now, and then
2. Upgrade my current 942 to 611 down the road

They both said, that under the Dish'n It Up promotion I wouldn't be able to upgrade my 942 within the first 12 (or 18) months after getting the 211. However, once they start moving existing channels to MPEG4 in a few months, they might come up with a better offer for the 942 upgrade.

That's the quandary I have, I'm going to have 3 HD capable displays when I move.

I have one ViP211, one 811 and 301 (where the 3rd HD display will be).

I bought the 211 outright; thanks to the 6000 purchaser on e-bay it wasn't terribly expensive ;)

I can only use on Dish'n' It Up, and then I have to pay full price for the other one. So I guess that means I'll have to use the Dish'n It Up on the 811 to go for the HD-DVR.

They really need to reconsider their stance on this in the next month or two.

Cheers,

Okay, am I actually saving money by going to one of the new Metal HD packs? My current bill:

AMERICA'S TOP 180 VALUE PAK WITH LOCALS 69.99
DISH NETWORK HD PACKAGE 9.99
VOOM ORIGINAL 5.0

Total for all SD & HD: $84.98

vs.

Gold Pack with locals: $74.99
Total with all SD & new HD: $74.99

Am I actually going to save $25/month, with several new HD channels, with the new pricing? (No. since I'm having trouble communicating, I edited the error in your post. - BFG)

If you want Gold with locals and HBO/cinemax like you had before it would be $94.99. That's the most accurate reflection of the price increase occuring to you)

Last edited by a moderator:
BFG said:
no. The gold pack with locals is 84.99

and why are you subtracting the 14.99 from your new price, that makes no sense

bottom line, your bill is going up 1 penny because you dropped the value pack and added $5 with the new HD plus whatever the fee increase of at180 was
Well, just looking at the Dish website, says Dish HD Gold: $69.99. Is it an extra $15/month for locals? I thought it was $5. And isn't the HD included in the Metal pack pricing?

Anyway, I think I know the reason why it looks lower. My AT180 price included HBO/Cinemax, so it's more than the standard AT180. I'd probably have to add in the HBO value package.

Last edited:
Correct the base of gold is $69.99

Here's your options starting with basic and building up to equivalence to what you had last month

Gold - $69.99

Gold w/ locals $74.99

Gold w/ locals Value Pack - $94.99

Last edited:
BFG said:
whoops you're right Gold is 69.99

but still your bill would just be $74.99 if you wanted locals

your subtracting money from a new statement where it doesnt get subtracted.
You're right. I didn't realize what I had done there. Thanks for pointing that out.

Tom Bombadil said:
I think the Dish'n It Up plan should be renamed to the Shovel'n It On, because I feel like I'm under a thick pile of crap.
Couldn't agree more. See my rant in the "Price increases higher than they appear", if you haven't already.

PS. I got the following not-so-friendly message when trying to post the link to my thread. It's not a link to "other sites" and I do have more than 5 posts. I guess I'm not having a very good day... :mad:
You are only allowed to post URLs to other sites after you have made 5 posts or more.
Attempts to post garbage messages just so you can post a link will cause your account to be banned.
Thanks for now spamming us at SatelliteGuys.US!

Last edited:
OK, I know this has been covered somewhere but there is so much info in the past couple days that I cannot sort through it all!
I just upgraded my 508 to a 622 for $299. Problem is, I have another TV that needs a HD receiver. I called Dish back & spoke to tech support & they said I can only have one upgrade per year! That means I have to wait until next year to get a second reciever to watch HD? Of course I could buy a 411 for $399... sheesh. Is this really the scoop or was the tech mistaken? A year?

emtownsend said:
OK, I know this has been covered somewhere but there is so much info in the past couple days that I cannot sort through it all!
I just upgraded my 508 to a 622 for $299. Problem is, I have another TV that needs a HD receiver. I called Dish back & spoke to tech support & they said I can only have one upgrade per year! That means I have to wait until next year to get a second reciever to watch HD? Of course I could buy a 411 for $399... sheesh. Is this really the scoop or was the tech mistaken? A year?

The tech was correct. They may loosen up on this rule when the receiver supply improves, but then again, they may not.

NightRyder

Aw cmon folks, they are subsidizing $500 a unit (I'm assuming they are retailing for $799, change that to $400 if it is $699).

They are cranking out these things to meet demand. If you absolutely have to have more than one, sell off your equipment and buy the additional units outright.

They will have to swap them ALL out in order to turn off the Mpeg2 stream next year, so the price will drop close to zero once next year rolls around if you have an Mpeg2 HD receiver.

I'm just happy that the DishHD platinum pak negates the DVR fee. When this is done, I'll have 5 DVRs active in my home.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)