DishHD and Dish'n It Up Details

New DHA

Apologies if this is old news but, I just noticed that a new Digital Home Advantage Promotion Agreement has been posted on the Dish site. I haven't read the entire thing; it looks very similar to the DIU promo.

One thing that appears different:
An equipment rental fee of $6.00 per month (in the case of a model 411, ViP211 or ViP622 DVR receiver) or $5.00 per month (in all other cases) for the first receiver activated is included in the promotional base programming package price.
I read it as: the $6 first receiver lease fee (that was not waived under DIU) is included in the base package price.

Also, the $299 ViP622 lease fee may not apply under unspecified circumstances:
3) the $299.99 lease upgrade fee (if applicable) for the model ViP622 receiver [...] are non-refundable;
Edit: I think I'm reading too much into the above. The "if applicable" probably means "if you get the 622".

Last edited:
tunagimp said:
I really think someone should get a REAL answer to this really good question.
I was sitting here at work so I called a CSR (sounded like India or perhaps the Philippines). Although the CSR, Jeff, had a heavy accent, he spoke perfect English and could carry on a conversation. Anyway, Jeff said DHPP was included free-of-charge with your 18-month commitment. I don't feel this qualifies as a REAL answer, but he appeared to know the terms & conditions of the Dish'n It Up offer...all my other questions were correctly answered.

Anyway, I saw nothing regarding DHPP while reading through the fine print on the Dish'n It Up offer.

Can one of the mods or a Dish Retailer please verify this information?

Thanks!

Well if you only had 1 receiver and you trade it in for a DIU receiver program, then yes that receiver has the fee.

But if you had 2 receivers under DHA then only the receiver you turn in gets the lease fee, so the receiver you didn't turn in still has the lease fee waived.

I eventually want 2 HD-DVRs. I lease a 942, but want a 2nd one for the bedroom. I currently have a 501, 508, and 510. ( All owned ) My best option is to not turn in my 942 for a 622 in April for the $200 rebate? I'm thinking I should lease a 622 for $299 and sell my 501.

dont24 said:
I eventually want 2 HD-DVRs. I lease a 942, but want a 2nd one for the bedroom. I currently have a 501, 508, and 510. ( All owned ) My best option is to not turn in my 942 for a 622 in April for the $200 rebate? I'm thinking I should lease a 622 for $299 and sell my 501.

I'm in pretty much the same position. I'll wait til April, hold on to my leased 942, trade in my 510 (owned) for the $200 rebate if I can. If they won't accept the 510, I'll forgo the rebate and sell the 510 to offset the $299 cost.

$99 April deal

patrickpiteo said:
It does not say anything about the $99.00 April deal. Also what about if you lease now. Is it still $299.00 now and $99.00 in April? *E has so little information and is so ill prepared to go to MPEG 4 right now that it makes you wonder if they did this thing right they could really kill *D in HD right now..
I did my 622 upgrade 2-1-06 and the tech advisor informed me that in April if you had prev. bought the 942 there would be a rebate when you do your upgrade to mpeg4. Otherwise all other upgrades to the 622 would be $299.

It is important to recognize that the rebate is only valid if you call to upgrade in April. People taking the $299 upgrade now will NOT get a $200 rebate in April.

So people with a 921 or 942 can pay $299 now, or pay $299 - $200 rebate in April.

I currently have three owned receivers and AT180. If I get rid of two of them for a 622, I'll be charged $6 for a lease fee, $5.98 for a DVR fee, and the usual $5 additional receiver fee? That $6 lease fee might be a deal breaker; I thought the first lease fee was always free.

Leasing a 622 costs $299 upfront and $11.98 a month? :eek:

Last edited:
kavula said:
I currently have three owned receivers and AT180. If I get rid of two of them for a 622, I'll be charged $6 for a lease fee, $5.98 for a DVR fee, and the usual $5 additional receiver fee? That $6 lease fee might be a deal breaker; I thought the first lease fee was always free.

Leasing a 622 costs $299 upfront and $11.98 a month? :eek:

Don't worry too much. It was and still is free. It is written in English:

An equipment rental fee of $6.00 per month (in the case of a model 411, ViP211 or ViP622 DVR receiver) or $5.00 per month (in all other cases) for the first receiver activated is included in the promotional base programming package price.

Minsk1 said:
Don't worry too much. It was and still is free. It is written in English:

Really? Then what's the explanation for this?

02/01 02/01 EQUIPMENT HANDLING FEE 49.00
02/01 02/01 DISH NETWORK HD PACKAGE 02/01 TO 02/28 -9.99
02/01 02/01 DISHHD SILVER W/ LOCALS 02/01 TO 02/28 64.99
02/01 02/01 VOOM ORIGINAL 02/01 TO 02/28 -5.00
02/01 02/01 DIGITAL HOME ADVANTAGE 02/01 TO 02/28 -44.99
02/01 02/01 1 RECEIVER 02/01 TO 02/28 5.01
02/01 02/01 DISH NETWORK HD RECEIVER 0.00

I've had two CSR's tell me that after you do a DIU, you're no longer a DHA customer.

BoisePaul said:
Really? Then what's the explanation for this?

02/01 02/01 EQUIPMENT HANDLING FEE 49.00
02/01 02/01 DISH NETWORK HD PACKAGE 02/01 TO 02/28 -9.99
02/01 02/01 DISHHD SILVER W/ LOCALS 02/01 TO 02/28 64.99
02/01 02/01 VOOM ORIGINAL 02/01 TO 02/28 -5.00
02/01 02/01 DIGITAL HOME ADVANTAGE 02/01 TO 02/28 -44.99
02/01 02/01 1 RECEIVER 02/01 TO 02/28 5.01
02/01 02/01 DISH NETWORK HD RECEIVER 0.00

I've had two CSR's tell me that after you do a DIU, you're no longer a DHA customer.

02/01 02/01 DISH NETWORK HD RECEIVER 0.00 : No fee for the first receiver.
02/01 02/01 1 RECEIVER 02/01 TO 02/28 5.01 : Fee for the second SD receiver ?
It is not HD receiver fee (it suppose to be $6). If you have one receiver then call and ask how many receivers they have on your account.

I have. They state that I have 1 receiver on my account, and at this point its the 811 for which I've never paid a lease fee. My ViP211 is supposed to arrive on the big brown truck on Monday, at which time my 811 gets turned off and shipped back to E*. Something's screwy here...

Here's what I hope is not a dumb question: Does anyone the time period required between closing a Dish account and being able to open a new account has a New customer?

I just had Dish installed Dec. 11, with a 811 HD receiver. I'm not happy at less than 2 months my equipment is obsolete and I'm expected to pay a fee to upgrade.

I paid the $49.99 activation fee to avoid any comittment. I went with satellite because I moved to rural SE Arizona and I didn't think I'd be able to receive any OTA as the Tucson broadcast towers were 54 miles away (as a crow flies) with mountain ranges in between. But, I was so disapointed with the absolute crappy quality of Dish's local feeds I researched further, bought the largest directional UHF antenna and the best preamp I could find and I am able to receive the Tucson stations OTA in HD. So, I'm tempted to just cancel Dish and wait until I qualify as a "New Customer" again and get the promos & new equipment at no additional fee.

Last edited:
I believe it's quite a long time before they consider you a "new" customer again.

In addition your 811 is perfectly fine and not "obsolete." It will still receive all of the programming that you're currently paying for.

Technically the answer is "never." You are never a new sub again.

However some have reported that after 2 years and some negotiations with Dish, that they have been able to get a new customer deal. Others have reported that even after 3-4 years that they were not able to requalify.

Tom Bombadil said:
Technically the answer is "never." You are never a new sub again.

However some have reported that after 2 years and some negotiations with Dish, that they have been able to get a new customer deal. Others have reported that even after 3-4 years that they were not able to requalify.

Well, if their attitude is once a Dish customer, you're always a Dish customer, AKA never a "new" customer again, my attitude would be cya later; you're not the only TV content service provider out there.

But, it also made me think of how to they keep history of everyone? And that reminded me of something else about Dish that really ticked me off. At the end of the sign-up process the CSR demanded my date of birth & soc. sec.#. I refused; I'm not applying for credit I insisted; I've provided a valid cc# to charge the activation fee & monthly billing. But we're sending you several hundred dollars of equipment she replied. I own the property - 10 acres & house - to which you're sending the equipment free & clear I replied, I'm not going to have a credit inquiry on my record for a lousy couple hundred bucks of satellite equipment. Finally I compromised to what she said would be a "soft inquiry" and gave her my DOB but only the last 4 digits of my SS#. But sure enough, my credit monitoring service reported I had a new credit inquiry on my record from Echostar, just the same as if I'd applied for a mortgage. Bastards!

CochiseGuy said:
But sure enough, my credit monitoring service reported I had a new credit inquiry on my record from Echostar, just the same as if I'd applied for a mortgage. Bastards!

Welcome to 2006 and the age of technology. Pretty soon the law will allow for McDonald's to request inquiries into your background. 1984 was just a few decades off, that's all.

CochiseGuy said:
Well, if their attitude is once a Dish customer, you're always a Dish customer, AKA never a "new" customer again, my attitude would be cya later; you're not the only TV content service provider out there.

It is along the lines of .... once you've been screwed by Dish, you can never come back and claim to be a Dish virgin again.

Tom Bombadil said:
It is along the lines of .... once you've been screwed by Dish, you can never come back and claim to be a Dish virgin again.

OMG! That is the funniest thing I've heard today!:D LMAO

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts