DishHD and Dish'n It Up Details

I upgraded last year from a leased 811 to a leased 942 for $250 after a nice email to the corporate people and have been extremely happy.

In April, will they allow me to upgrade to a 622 for $99 ($299 - $200 rebate) or will they not allow it because I've already been upgraded once in the past year? :confused:

I hope I won't have to beg and plead again...

I believe the upgrade restriction applies to MPEG4 boxes.

Your 942 upgrade, as was mine, was a MPEG2 box.

So, presumably, you and I will be on the horn with Dish on April 1st. :D

Last edited:
Are they taking orders & waiting list for April now?

This April deal. Is it don't bother me until April or will they put you on a waiting list until then?

If everyone applies then, it probably won't be installed unil June.

What I don't like is that I am on the most expensive plan so I am paying for channels I can not get. :hungry:

swade said:
This April deal. Is it don't bother me until April or will they put you on a waiting list until then?

If everyone applies then, it probably won't be installed unil June.

What I don't like is that I am on the most expensive plan so I am paying for channels I can not get. :hungry:

As I've been posting since this began, many existing Dish HD subs with HD-DVRs could conceivably not see any of the new HD channels until sometime in May if they want the $200 rebate deal.

That's 4 to 5 months beyond the time Dish stated, for less than half of the promised new Voom channels we were supposed to get by Dec 30th '05.

David Dietzel said:
I believe the upgrade restriction applies to MPEG4 boxes.

Your 942 upgrade, as was mine, was a MPEG2 box.

So, presumably, you and I will be on the horn with Dish on April 1st. :D

You presume correctly, sir! :)

Upgrading to the Vip211 and going from AT180 to HD-Gold has caused my recent activity on the Dish website to explode. Credits and debits everywhere. I'm having a hard time keeping up.

CITY TAXES 2.15
STATE TAXES 2.42
COUNTY TAX 0.19
02/13 02/12 EQ RTRN CRDT -25.00
02/07 02/07 ADDL RECEIVER ACCESS FEE 02/07 TO 02/28 -3.92
02/08 02/07 HD PROMOTION -5.00
02/07 02/07 ADDL RECEIVER ACCESS FEE 02/07 TO 02/28 4.71
02/07 02/07 LEASED RECEIVER FEE 02/07 TO 02/28 -3.92
02/07 02/07 LEASED RECEIVER FEE 02/07 TO 02/28 3.92
02/04 02/04 CREDIT CARD PAYMENT -92.90
02/01 02/01 AMERICA'S TOP 180 AND 02/01 TO 02/28 -54.99
02/01 02/01 CREDIT CARD PAYMENT -50.00
02/01 02/01 DISHHD GOLD AND MOVIE 02/01 TO 02/28 94.99
02/01 02/01 DISH NETWORK HD RECEIVER 0.00
02/01 02/01 EQUIPMENT HANDLING FEE 49.00
02/01 02/01 DISH NETWORK HD PACKAGE 02/01 TO 02/28 -9.99
02/01 02/01 VOOM ORIGINAL 02/01 TO 02/28 -5.00
02/08 01/13 CLUBDISH CR 3 OF 10 -5.00

This is corn-fusing to me! SO.... if I lease the 622 for $299 (not an existing HD customer)... will I have the lease fee for the 622 or not? I plan on keeping my PVR 501 - I won't be charged for that will I (I own it!)? And I'm going to return 2 older receivers... use the 622 for 2 rooms and my 501 for another.

yes you'll have a $6 HD Receiver Lease fee for the 622

the 501 you own will be your 1st receiver with no charge

Well, I just received some disturbing news from a CSR when I called in. I guess you can only get 1 HD receiver per household, per year, lease or buy. I have 1 HD TV, and just purchased another this past weekend. I called back a second time, and was told I could swap my current HD receiver for a new one, but could not lease or buy another HD receiver for a least a few months. 3rd call a few minutes ago, I could only get 1 HD receiver, and maybe in a few months, they will allow me to purchase another, but maybe was all they could say. Cable and the satellite competetors allow you to get as many HD receivers as you need. I am thinking of shopping around since I purchased the last HD unit, and by my math, and adding in the monthly costs, plus the purchase of the HD box 1 1/2 years ago, and the lease on the new box, ends up being more than cable per month. Since I can't replace an SD box for an HD for my new HDTV, I might as well move on so I can use the HD on both TV's.
My obligation was up a few months ago so there will be no fees with leaving. I would have thought Dish could have allowed more than 1 HD unit for lease/purchase per household per year. Seems marketing needs to look at what the competition is doing and rethink this. I have been Dish Customer for over 4 years, but am now looking to switch.

Right now I'm getting the impression they will only allow one HD receiver either leased or purchased from E*. You are free to purchase HD receivers on your own from stores such as dishstore.net. As many as you want. I own half of my receivers...

I own all of mine right now. Looks like leasing is the new fad. I am only hoping if I decide to shell out another $700 on equipment, I won't be forced to replace again in another 1 1/2 to 2 years to receive all the programming offered. I am also hoping that E* won't decide to charge an HD turn on monthly fee for anything I purchase if I decide to stay. This is starting to get expensive since most of the SD broadcasts will be going away in the next few years, and most likely, if your TV is older, you will probably replace it with an HD set. I will be replacing all my SD TV's with HD sets in the next 2 years. This is my delima now, do I fork out the 700 bucks for each set above the one I have, or do I go with other options until prices start falling on the hardware. Nothing like buying an HD set and watching SD on it. I have an 811 that's a bit flaky on the HD side (Have to reboot it 2 times a week or it freezes up), couldn't afford the 999 price tag on the DVR at the time. If I do stay I will get the 622 as an HD Recorder is still out of my price range.

1. E* may only limit you to buying or leasing one HD receiver FROM THEM for a year. This is due to supply limitations. Let's say you least a ViP622 from them for $299.99 plus the $6/mo. lease fee. Then a week later you call DishStore and BUY a ViP211 from them. You call E* to activate. Are they going to say no? They'll gladly activate it and accept your increased monthly payment.

2. SD is not going away. NTSC, commonly known as analog TV, is going away as of 2/17/09, per a recently passed law. Digital (ATSC) TV is replacing it. Digital TV allows for SD broadcasts. You'll still get 480i & 480p 4:3 broadcasts. Conceivably we could get 480 widescreen, too- but the Fox experiment has probably killed that. HD is just a part of digital TV- the 720 & 1080 widescreen (16:9) part. Lots of TVs will be sold that are still 4:3 but accept digital signals. The next "step up" in TVs would be to get a 16:9 TV. Cheaper TVs will display fewer lines- 480 (or even 540) will be here for a LONG time. On smaller TVs, it won't matter as much if the TV only displays 480 or 540 lines, rather than 720 or 1080. The same programming can be seen, just not in full glory. Plain "digital" sets will be cheaper than "HD" sets. As long as the stations can multicast up to 6 lower quality signals instead of one HD signal, there will be a market and economic pressure to go with the higher volume, lower quality signals.

This is probably a dumb question but can a dealer do the 622 $299 lease deal with an existing customer or are they strictly buy & own?

I assume if they can do the lease they would probably have to be the originating dealer that the customer first signed up with for Dish.

waltinvt said:
This is probably a dumb question but can a dealer do the 622 $299 lease deal with an existing customer or are they strictly buy & own?

I assume if they can do the lease they would probably have to be the originating dealer that the customer first signed up with for Dish.
I think that's right, but I was told that if your original dealer is gone or won't help, that another dealer can do it for you.

I've been reading about these upgrade options for mpeg4 and the new receivers. I've been with dish network for 6 years with the 5000 w/Mod, dumped that, and waited for the 811, bypassing the 6000 series for HD. I have been somewhat happy with the 811, despite the constant software upgrades which ends up screwing something up for something new (can't get ABC HD OTA after last one).
Now this latest debacle. Paying 299 for a lease with a monthly DVR fee, Never.
The channels DISH is adding for Mpeg4 are not compelling AT ALL! HGTV and Food channels, YAWN. VOOM channels, waste of bandwidth! ESPN2, no thanks!
I'll wait for my 811 to quit when they turnoff Mpeg2, threaten to leave and get the 622 for next to nothing. By then they might have the bugs worked out, but then again maybe not.

jstorm42 said:
I'll wait for my 811 to quit when they turnoff Mpeg2, threaten to leave and get the 622 for next to nothing. By then they might have the bugs worked out, but then again maybe not.
I'm with ya there - except that I can't get ANY OTA here, so I'll have to bend over for Chucky to get my networks in HD. :mad:

PLUS, if/when it happens, I'll probably lose my distant nets because of some incompetent CSR hitting the wrong button. :mad: :mad:

If you lease a car, you pay a large upfront fee, monthly lease fee, and for maintenance & repairs. Why is this concept so repugnant when applied to leasing STBs?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts