Transponder vs Spotbeam

pcbelize

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 17, 2003
My understanding is that a spotbeam is a kind of transponder that is pointed towards a specific area. Correct???

The reason I ask is that I was on the fringe for my Detroit locals when they were on transponder 10 of the 110, this week they moved to transponder 13 of 110. Both of these are suppose to be spotbeams. I am no longer able to recieve them even though I get a nice strong signal (90-100) on transponder 13 when check it using dish pointing.

When I attempt to tune them in on my 6000 I get an error message saying it can't pick up "spotbeam 26". If I check transponder 26, I'm only getting a signal strength of 40ish.

So...are the Detroit locals on transponder 13 or 26????

"Detroit MI locals (8030-8035) moved from tp 10 spot 10 at 110° (E*8) to tp 26 spot 13 at 110° (E*10). (ANON) Channels 8036 and 8037 moved to tp 12 spot 13 last week."

Courtesy of Tony's chart.

The transponders number 1-32. These are related to the radio frequency they use to transmit their signal. Each transponder can be assigned to hit different portions of the country or spots. In Echostar 10's case the spots are numbered 1-49. So in your receiver's case "Spot beam 26" refers to transponder 26 spot 13.

See a map HERE

See ya
Tony

TNGTony said:
The transponders number 1-32. These are related to the radio frequency they use to transmit their signal. Each transponder can be assigned to hit different portions of the country or spots. In Echostar 10's case the spots are numbered 1-49. So in your receiver's case "Spot beam 26" refers to transponder 26 spot 13.

See a map HERE

See ya
Tony

So, even though Im sitting 250 miles away form Detroit to the Northwest Im still getting a signal of 80 on transponder 26, this would be the transponder with the Detroit locals on it?

Last edited:
I had a service call today because they moved the memphis locals. For some reason (software related, I believe), the customer's 522 was searching for them on transponder 40 (WTF?) on 110. They used to be on spotbeam 6. I didn't know they had moved them.....

The 522s software was L255. An hour's worth of downloading later (OK, 50 minutes), it updated to L293 and the locals started working again. I wonder why tech support couldn't figure that out and get the customer back up yesterday?

guffy1 said:
So, even though Im sitting 250 miles away form Detroit to the Northwest Im still getting a signal of 80 on transponder 26, this would be the transponder with the Detroit locals on it?

Spot Beam 13 covers the entire Michigan LP, most of Indiana, extreme eastern Illinois and the western chunk of Ohio in a line from Cincinnati to Cleveland.

It overlaps another spot beam on the same transponder on the southern side of the spot so there is no usable signal in an oval covering southern Ohio including Columbus, Dayton, Springfield and Cincinnati, and southeastern Indiana stretching in a thin line to the Illinois border.

See http://ekb.dbstalk.com/E10spots/e10t12.pdf

See ya
Tony

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts