DishNet on a high rise building?

slimoli

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 12, 2003
I will be moving to Miami soon , to one of those 40+ floors building. I asked the realtor about cable/satellite availability and he told me that both Directv and DishNetwork are now available. My question is : How can I hook up my receivers to the dish? Obviously there is just one dish serving the whole building. How can I have a 921 if a need two SAT-INs ? Is there anybody here living in a high rise building using Dish and HD DVR?

Thanks

Sergio

Ooooh, lovely Miami, I'll be there on Friday!!!!!!!!!! yippeeeee!

Many people in high rise buildings have Dish/Direct. Do you know if the last resident had Dish/Direct. If so then it would be easy to tap into the line. I am guessing there is more than one dish up on top. There usually is. If you are getting a movers promo, you are going to get a new lnb with the new dish and a dish pro plus twin can be thrown on or a dish pro plus switch can be used somewhere to be able to feed your 921 on one cable with a separator. hopefully it won't be too complicated. integrating DPP is a snap. It's finding the line without interrupting anything else is what is time consuming. If there is no cable from the dish entering your pad, then it becomes more difficult. It is a must at this point to discuss the situation with the maintenance crew of the building, since they have to let you/installer up to the roof. You should be communicating with them anyway. Makes the job a lot easier. They may know quite a bit about what cables go where.

Thanks for your response. The building is actually brand new and has about 350 apartments. I can't imagine anybody having his own dish/lnbs. When I was living in NYC I remember my building having 2 dishes only but there was no HD or DVR at that time but each unit had at least one reciever. At that time I had cable and was never curious to know how the system worked.

Thanks anyway.

Sergio

if it's relatively new and they say it's 'available' then I'm thinking they made a deal with a retailer to prewire the whole building with the option of Dish or Direct. All they have to do is make your apartment connection up by the dishes when they install.

My guess is that they have several large dishes each pointed at a different sets of satellites for Direct and Dish. Then these dishes connect to a massive switching system that supplies individual connections to each apartment. The questions that remain are:
Does their satellite network point to all the satellites (example 61.5,105,110,119,121 for dishnetwork) or just the popular ones. Also since you need two lines for your 921/942 DVR, you'll need to find out if they supply multiple feeds for each apartment.

Another method could be that they carry both services but send all channels from the service of choice as a broadband connection meaning an ordinary cable ready TV is used to pickup TV or they provide their own special STB (like hotels do). Basically they would be their own cable company and would handle billing and selection. If it's the second method then your sat box would never be used.

Submit feedback after you find out.

Goaliebob your answer seems most logical that it is setup as a MDU with stacked frequencies. Get the specefics from the realtor, you probably will need special receivers to connect to the system.

The only thing I know for sure is that we will need a Dish receiver to receive any signal. It means they are not using the "
hotel" system.

slimoli said:
The only thing I know for sure is that we will need a Dish receiver to receive any signal. It means they are not using the "
hotel" system.
That's allot better situation because now you can deal directly with dish for your programming. Find out if you can use a dishpro+ separator for your 921.
Also what about OTA HD do they supply an antenna or will you use an indoor one?

slimoli said:
hotel" system.
Actually, that's NOT true. variou E* receivers are designed to work with QAM - as goaliebob said.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts