DishNetwork: Employee pay rates, Benefits?

Tekken

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 24, 2005
Got an interview in the morning with Dishnetwork... I suppose I'll switch from contracting work to being an actual employee with these outrageous gas prices, whats the average payrate to request and are their any benefits because I can't find anything on the DishNetwork site related to a benefits package?

Dave nye said:
13.00 Man that sucks.
Oh, I don't know. As slow as I am, that's about all I make.

Of course, I could never survive at DNSC. If you can't do 5 installs an hour they get pissed off. Me, 5 hours for an install is about average. :)

SimpleSimon said:
Oh, I don't know. As slow as I am, that's about all I make.

Of course, I could never survive at DNSC. If you can't do 5 installs an hour they get pissed off. Me, 5 hours for an install is about average. :)

5 hours for an install? seriouslly? I cant remember the last one that took me 4hrs. well there was last thursday, but wow,i couldnt justify the work/pay at all at that much time.

And im not saying I cut corners, do shoddy work, ill put my quallity up to anyone any day, but... I guess im just efficient.

5 Hours? Man I do quads in half that time, well most of the time get a good one every once in a while. But really 5 hours? I did a 625 New Connect today. Mounted it on a TV tower, grounded at electric, ran all new cables, and activated the system in an hour.

5 hours you must get paid by the hour not the job. A 322/522 all new install wire everything shouldn't take more than 3 hrs 4 if the customer is a slow learner.

shew, i thought i was the only one. simon must hate his wife (its a joke,,, you must work late alot)

$13.00 isnt the starting wage for chicago or any other market, its lower than that by a few dollars. Benefits are as follows.

Medical
Dental
Optical
Short term
Long Term
Tuition
Stock purchase program
Yearly xmas bonus
2 weeks paid vacation first and second year, 3 weeks 3rd and up with vacation time acrued upon your hire date.
Paid training
Uniforms and tools provided along with company vehicle
Opportunity for advancement
Relocation opportunity within the company
Various incentive programs
Partner discounted purchases
Free to reduced satellite service

There are other benefits such as out of market work wich Im on right now, you travel to area's outside of yours and help out for various reasons.

Dave nye said:
5 Hours? Man I do quads in half that time, well most of the time get a good one every once in a while. But really 5 hours? I did a 625 New Connect today. Mounted it on a TV tower, grounded at electric, ran all new cables, and activated the system in an hour.

full blown install in an hour with a dual tuner and 2 tv's, must have been short cable runs. :D

Yeah It was.

Only about 20' down the tower into the house. Electric was right there also. Receiver was on other side of wall from 2nd TV. So down tower to ground block, into basement into wall by TV's.

papalittle said:
I installed a 625 in 15 minutes once....it was for a new customer who moved into a house that had the dish, switch and cabling all ready installed, just hooked up box and activated it. lol fastest 90.00 I ever made!
Well, yeah - me too.

Five hours is to do the full monty (30 minutes an item):
  • Customer walkthrough
  • cabling (typically around 200' with screw-clips - total 90 minutes)
  • dish hang
  • phone lines
  • box setup (30 minutes each)
  • grounding
  • customer education

Get that Mr. "I'm done in an hour"? I spend an hour just talking with the customer. In so doing, I often sell surge protection, computer work, internet access, etc.

But tell me, who out there can REALLY do 4 wall penetrations, 200' of cable run, etc. in anything under, say, 3-4 hours?

That's why i didn't last working with the RSP as an installer.. i cared too much about getting the customer done right. I haven't had any callbacks on any of my jobs, but I was too slow, I had to get 3 installs a day complete, and getting home at 10pm every night got old quick.

I tell you though, out of the 40+ installs i did do, i did not have one callback for customer education, or installation reasons. (Had 3 for faulty equipment)

Oh, and you guys that are griping at Simon's 5 hour jobs.. you should see his pictures... masterpieces every single one of them. Then again he's installing in the Denver area.. expensive houses too. You almost have to spend that much time to get it done right.

There's a difference installing 4 rooms in a $800,000 house than a 4 room trailor.

Simon,

What you are doing is customer service and selling. Thats great and it works for you. Really did not mean to slam you or anything. Just did not see how an "INSTALL" could take 5 hours.

I do work for an RSP so yes you have to keep your numbers up. That does not mean I don't take good care of the customer. I do in the range of 45 - 60 installs a month. I don't get any Trouble calls for installs or customer education either. Equipment problems is another thing.

That being said

Customer walk through 5-20 min depends on the house
Dish assemble, mount and peak. 20 min
Cable run from dish to 4 rooms. 60 min
Receiver setup. 10 min each
Activation 10 min
Customer orientation 5 - 15 min just depends on the system and customer.
5 min to show customer what I did.
Total about 2.5 hours.

Sure some houses take a bit more. The typical house in our area is a single story, open basement, or crawl space.

Van - yeah, I don't make enough installing, but fortunately it's not my only income. ;)

Thanks for the kudos, Brian. :)

Dave - you must be a lot younger than me. :D Yeah - your time numbers look good - sometimes I get there, but most often not. Cabling slows me down big time. It's either ladder work (with lots of moves), kneeling work (hard on what's left of my legs), or crawlspace (arrgghh). Now if I had a kid helping me with the wiring, I'd be in GOOD shape. Course, we don't have enough installs for my speed to matter. :cool:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)