DishNetwork Uplink Activity Report - 3/26/2008 1:24pm - 210 changes

I can pretty much echo the chat transcript. Matt G. even tried to tell me that they were OTA channels and not from Dish, even after I told them that they were in fact not off an antenna. But were on channels 5130-34. He then tried to tell me that the person had used the software to add those channels with his antenna and not the satellite.

I'm scared to call the number as it's probably unlikely that I'll get an American to answer my call, and I've already had to talk to one person from India today and I like my hair to stay on my head.

I called the ATT CSR's and they said they don't have it in the system yet. They have that the local HD's are suppose to go live tomorrow. So they told me to call back first thing in the morning to see about getting a wing dish.

I noticed all the voom channels on transponder 22 at 129 were listed in the EPG as off air last night for 3 hours. I was surprised nothing happened with them.

If you're looking for national HD channels other than scifi and usa, better wait until skyangel is gone. Theres no room on 61.5 until that happens. Or they move NYC to a spotbeam. That would free up 1 conus tp as well.

Remember these new HD LILs are only possible by turning on the 61.5 spotbeams. You don't just flip a switch and the channel comes in. New uplink facilities had to be designed, built, outfitted, fed with the local channels via fiber or microwave, and agreements in place with locals to retransmit. I wouldn't be surprised if all of that took longer than a year from concept to operation. We saw their applications to the FCC just a few months ago for approvals to transmit from the new uplink sites.

I'm not trying to make excuses for the lack of HD additions by Dish. I want more too. The lack of scifi and usahd is puzzling. To me it appears they have decided LIL is more profitable than additional national HD. I am hoping in a few weeks when skyangel goes away, they will be adding additional national HD on those two TPs.

HDSKD
MPEG4 HD
61.5°W
8PSK
ConUS beam
Not Available
HDSKD
MPEG4 HD
61.5°W
8PSK
ConUS beam
Not Available
HDSKD
MPEG4 HD
61.5°W
8PSK
ConUS beam
Not Available
HDSKD
MPEG4 HD
61.5°W
8PSK
ConUS beam
Not Available

I found these on 61.5. Are these test channels that could be made room for national hd??

HDSKD
MPEG4 HD
61.5°W
8PSK
ConUS beam
Not Available
HDSKD
MPEG4 HD
61.5°W
8PSK
ConUS beam
Not Available
HDSKD
MPEG4 HD
61.5°W
8PSK
ConUS beam
Not Available
HDSKD
MPEG4 HD
61.5°W
8PSK
ConUS beam
Not Available

I found these on 61.5. Are these test channels that could be made room for national hd??

Nope. Those are the actual RSN content channels that they point the RSN's to.

The official channel launches for those cities is not until tomorrow or Friday. While they may be on and available now, Dish Network CSR's will not know anything about them until Dish officially announces them. Only then will CSR's have a clue of whats going on. :)

The 5 TEMP hd channels on 61.5 are still there. We supposedly already know what those are. Those could be turned on at any time??

Again, what Scott says applies to most channels. Just flipping the bit in the stream from "Not Available" to "Available" is only part of what must be done.

They have to brief thousands of CS reps, and then have to change the Authorization software to include the channel.

And they have to put 9 days of programming in the EPG (Guide).

How could this Charlie dude lose so bad to MURDOCH. What a disgrace.:mad:

Uh, he sold DirecTV to Malone months ago...

... but the answer is that DirecTV's satellite launches went flawlessly and Dish Network's satellite launches were delayed many months (and the first one didn't get into a correct orbit). Mostly luck...

The official channel launches for those cities is not until tomorrow or Friday. While they may be on and available now, Dish Network CSR's will not know anything about them until Dish officially announces them. Only then will CSR's have a clue of whats going on. :)

Any chance we could get some national HD on Thurs or Fri of this week?

The 5 TEMP hd channels on 61.5 are still there. We supposedly already know what those are. Those could be turned on at any time??

They are not really there. They were being tested on TPs that were then changed to spot beam. A CONUS TP needs to open up for them. Right now they can either move Boston to spot or wait for SA TPs to free up next week.

Doesn't MURDOCH still own a huge amount of shares? How could he lose so bad to MALONE then?

Malone accumulated shares of Newscorp and one of Murdoch's biggest desires is to leave Newscorp to his children:

DirecTV Swap with News Corp. Puts Malone in Charge of DBS

By Scott M. Fulton, III, BetaNews

December 22, 2006, 12:16 PM

A stock swap exchange between Rupert Murdoch's News Corp. and John Malone's Liberty Media, predicted two weeks ago by The New York Times, is on its way to fruition today, as both companies announced their intent to make a stock swap. The deal will give Malone the most sizable stake - 38.4% - in DirecTV, the US' largest satellite service provider, which has lately been giving broadband Internet service a second try.
News Corp. will receive 16.3% of its own stock back, solidifying the Murdoch family's hold on the company and removing what Murdoch has considered an obstacle to progress. To even things out, Malone will receive about $550 million USD in cash, meaning Murdoch is essentially paying Malone over half a billion to take away a property he paid $6.6 billion USD just three years ago. That is, if Malone will also promise to go away and leave him alone.

Ever since the deal emerged from the realm of speculation, analysts have been questioning exactly what it is Malone is planning. Murdoch's bold plans to innovate DirecTV to become the American component of his Sky global satellite system were abruptly stonewalled when cellular service providers actively ran up the price of upstream spectrum in an FCC auction last September, which DirecTV could have used to upgrade its DBS Internet service. T-Mobile ended up paying an enormous sum in a move that successfully blocked Murdoch, who immediately leaked to the press that DirecTV was no longer something he particularly wanted.
[...]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)