DishNetwork Uplink Activity Report - 4/2/2008 3:10pm - 631 changes

So all those RSN-HD channels on 61.5 on TP 32 means Dish can only show 6 games max every night b/c they are all on the same transponder? That sucks b/c there are alot of MLB Games in HD every night that I am sure is more than 6 and many as usual will be left out.

I believe the mpeg4sd channels were added to transponder 32 as well

Yeah, they're still on 119. I'm just getting ready for the change and trying to anticipate the moves.
You are assuming that your locals are moving to 61.5 anytime soon.

AFAIK any locals that are currently on 110 or 119 are not moving until the Eastern Arc is complete. Even then the Eastern Arc is probably going to be MPEG4 only for both HD & SD. So only those subs with MPEG4 receivers are going to be able to use the Eastern Arc sats. If that is the case, any existing locals are likely to stay on 110/119 and be mirrored on 61.5 for quite some time.

OTOH New HD locals (like Austin Tx) are likely to be added to 61.5 only and not mirrored on 110/119 due to space limitations. So those DMAs will need to add a wing dish or wait for the full implementation of the MPEG4 Eastern Arc sats which presumably will only require a single dish.

Talon Dancer

Last edited:
You are assuming that your locals are moving to 61.5 anytime soon.

AFAIK any locals that are currently on 110 or 119 are not moving until the Eastern Arc is complete. Even then the Eastern Arc is probably going to be MPEG4 only for both HD & SD. So only those with MPEG4 receivers are going to be able to use the Eastern Arc sats. If that is the case, any existing locals are likely to stay on 110/119 and be mirrored on 61.5 for quite some time.

Talon Dancer

That's what I hope.

Did Dish do anything today that Facilitates adding national HD, say by freeing up bandwidth, etc?

It looks to the uninitiated (me) that Dish duplicated a whole lot of stuff, which would appear to use up, rather than free up, bandwidth.

So I don't understand why anyone would think that they any of these moves is some kind of precursor to more HD that people actually want.

I do not see Dish taking anything off of 110/119/129. New HD locals may be put on 61.5 without any plans to ever put them on 110/119/129. I expect once Ciel-2 goes up markets will be put on 129 that will never be put on 61.5. Having 2 sets of satellites will let Dish address the visibility issues of 61.5 and 129.

61.5 spots are extensive in the east and limited in the west. 129 will probably have great coverage out west but will be hard to hit the east. While both satellites can in theory be "seen" coast to coast, the elevations make it hard.

I do expect 110/119/129 to slowly change over to MPEG-4 eventually. Probably start with the top tiers and work their way down. This is over many years since there are way too many of the old boxes out there that would have to be replaced. Look at how long they are keeping the old HD in MPEG-2.

I expect them to start converting more over to 8PSK sooner since they at least only provide 8PSK compatible receivers now, but they have not stopped selling non ViP receievers yet. They could start doing things like having HBO-E in MPEG-2 QPSK, but the rest in MPEG-2 8PSK. This will give them a lot more room on 110/119/129 side of things without too much pain. I smell a lot of 2 year commits being offered to change out receivers for the newer 8PSK ones (like they told people in Rhode Island if they want locals they need 8PSK).

...It looks to the uninitiated (me) that Dish duplicated a whole lot of stuff, which would appear to use up, rather than free up, bandwidth.....
The key is that Dish is finally taking advantage of 61.5's capabilities by loading all these Locals (HD and SD) onto Spot Beams running MPEG4 to dramatically increase the bandwidth of 61.5. The best explanation I've read of how this works is in this thread describing what Dish is doing with the Sky Angel TP bandwidth. Begin with post #15.

Talon Dancer

So let me get this right. 61.5 now has all the national channels that 129 has? also they added STO/Foxsports Ohio plus all the Cleveland Locals so do I need 129 anymore?

So let me get this right. 61.5 now has all the national channels that 129 has? also they added STO/Foxsports Ohio plus all the Cleveland Locals so do I need 129 anymore?

As of now, the duplicate channels added to 61.5 are NOT available.

What do u mean?

The 5 TEMP channels that were on TP 13 or TP 9 can't remember were in limbo land since they were sitting on a spotbeam. They've been moved back to a CONUS TP that SkyAngel had. If I had to guess, this was part of the hold up for not releasing these channels.

DIGIBLUR, I read three weeks ago where the Raleigh HDs were uplink to 61.5 Channels 6465, 6466, 6468, 6467 but now they are not showing -- do you know when they were removed?

Hey NOhdjunkie I see we are in the same area. I am in Abita Springs, and it looks like you know more about this stuff than I do so let me ask you a question. After May will we need to add a second dish at 61.5, or will we be able to get everything with one new dish aimed at 61.5? I currently have a VIP622 and a dish aimed at 110/119/129. Also when we get our HD locals do you think they will be on 61.5?