DishPro Plus 44 Switch Review

slimoli said:
Scott:

Can this single line from the DP44+ also carry the OTA signal from a roof antenna, therefore feeding the 2 satellite and the OTA inputs in the receiver, using a diplexer?

Many thanks for the nice job, again.

Sergio
I have NOT tried it, but it should work. Make sure the diplexers are 'inside' all other devices.

DPP44 ----> Power Inserter ---> Diplexer ----> Diplexer ----> Separator ----> Receiver

sampatterson said:
My DPP44 came in today. Am I understanding correctly that I can add a 148 dish now so I can get CBS-WHD? I didn't want to go through the hassle with the sw21s, etc. Currently I have 119, 110, and 61.5.
Like you I assumed that the DP+44 could be used for any 4 orbital locations. I intended to swap out my legacy LNBFs and SW64 cascaded with SW21s in order to receive 61.5/110/119/148. Many others have expressed an interest in this as well in order to receive West Coast locals from 148 and, for example, Sky Angel from 61.5.

But the DISH Pro Plus 44 Switch Installation Considerations sheet states:
-As with any switch, do not connect both 61.5º and 148º.

I am emailing a contact at E* engineering but maybe Scott can shed some light on this in the meantime.

The installation guide that comes with the DPP44 switch does not list any limitations on which satellites can be hooked up. They only recommend that 105/121 be hooked up to the 4th satellite input. The reason they recommend that is that old receivers do not know how to receive 105/121, so they will just see the first 3 satellites.

The 2800, 3900, 4900, 6000 are the only legacy receivers listed as being able to see more than 3 satellites slots. So, when 105/121 is on the forth slot they see it as a SW21/SW64 combo. I can confirm this with my 6000, it sees 119/110/61.5 as a SW64 on side one of a SW21, and it sees 121 on the side 2 of the SW21 (the DPP44 emulates the SW21/SW64 for legacy receivers).

The new receiver that are DishPro compatible have no trouble seeing all 4 satellites and the switch test is just 4 steps as it goes through each of the 4 connections. The DP receivers are all supposed to be able to see 5 satellites if you hook up a DP21 switch in there, but I have not tried this since I only have 4 dishes up at this time.

I have a 821, 6000, and a 301 hooked up with no issues seeing 119/110/61.5/121. My 921 should be here on Friday for me to try out the DPP separator. As far as 61.5/148 at the same time the issue has been duplicate program numbers in the guide, but people report that it has worked in the past, so I would bet it would work with the DPP44. I do not think it is a switch issue, just a confusing guide in the receiver.

I talked to Claude this morning at http://www.dishstore.net and he still had some DPP44s in stock. He somehow managed to get the entire supply for the area shipped to him :D

I read a while back where there were channels on 61.5 that were also in use on 148. If this is the case then I would say that is why they do not want 61.5 and 148 at the same time. I am not sure if this is true or not though.

Please forgive my ignorance, and maybe this isn't the place for this, however....

What does a switch do for you? Allow you to obtain more then one satellite feed into your home? if so do you need more then one dish on your roof? And why would you want more then one feed? Are there channels I don't get now b/c I only have one dish? I'm assuming that depends on my location, and if so how do I find out?

This switch allows you to

A) Run only one wire from the switch to a multi tuner reveiver (322, 522, 721, 921) instead of 2.

B) Use Legacy Equipment with DishPro LNB's without the need for $50 Dishpro adapters.

C) Serve up to 8 Dish Pro Plus tuners from 1 switch with only 4 cables.

i noticed on picture that showed which sat's were connected there was space for 5 satelites. is there way to cascade with dp44 or do i smell dp54 on horizon?

bpasker8 said:
Please forgive my ignorance, and maybe this isn't the place for this, however....

What does a switch do for you? Allow you to obtain more then one satellite feed into your home? if so do you need more then one dish on your roof? And why would you want more then one feed? Are there channels I don't get now b/c I only have one dish? I'm assuming that depends on my location, and if so how do I find out?

A switch allows a receiver to select among multiple satellite locations. Some dishes have built in switches, so you do not need a separate switch (some Dish500). If you want to go 3-5 satellites you will have to have a switch. The Dish500 looks at 2 satellites at once, and many times has a built in switch. SuperDISH looks at 3 satellites at once and has a separate switch to allow 4 receivers to see the three satellites. Some also want programming from a "wing" satellite (like Sky Angel) and need to hook up an additional dish, so they will need a switch.

In my case my locals are on 121, so I have SuperDISH, I also use 61.5 so I need a total of 4 satellites (119/110/121/61.5). So, I got a DPP44 to look at all 4 of them on up to 4 receivers.

So if I have a DishPro Quad, and I buy a DPP44, I can feed my 721 (two tuners), 811, 508 and 4922 all from the same switch?

The switch outputs to only four tuners and since you have five tuners you would need to buy another DPP44 to connect to your first DPP44 in order to get 5-8 tuners a satellite signal. You could also connect that fifth receiver up to the quad but it would not get the fourth satellite. If you do that then you would need to make sure that the dual tuner receivers are connected the same way, both from the switch or both directly from the quad.

StevenD said:
So if I have a DishPro Quad, and I buy a DPP44, I can feed my 721 (two tuners), 811, 508 and 4922 all from the same switch?

Actually it will output to 8 tuners on 4 boxes. So you can feed a 721, 811, 508 and the 4922. In theory with one set of drops from the LNBs you could feed 12 recievers (3 DPP44s) with 2 tuners each for a total of 24 tuners.

I guess I could just buy one and see if it works.

Does anyone have a PDF copy of the manual? I cant find one.

BTW Dish I guess you can't use the DPP44 with both 61.5 and 148.

The following is from a Technical Bulletin I got from Echostar today..

Note: DISH Network receivers do not support installations where both the 61.5º and 148º satellite locations are provided to the satellite receiver.

I'm a little confused on what I will need. I currently have a dish 500 with 2 legacy dual LNB's and 1 single LNB dish going into a SW64 to 2 dish 6000's. Picking up Sat's 110, 119 and 148. I want to add a PVR921 but don't want to run another line to where the PVR921 is going (in the place of one of the existing 6000's). Does the DPP44 replace the SW64 altogether and would I use a separator (on a single line run) to split just before going into the dual tuners in the 921? Is there anything else I am missing? Thanks.

Is the reason that 61.5 and 148 cannot be used in the same switch setup due to some channels having the same number on both satellites or is it a software or hardware issue.

Streetgang,

All of your LNBs would have to be switched out for DishPro LNBs. Also, you would need to make sure all of your cabling is RG-6.

StevenD

Thanks for the quick reply. If I changed out my LNB's to Dish Pro, would I just need the DPP44 or would I still need the SW64 in the mix? All my runs are already R6. Thanks Steve

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)