DishPro Plus 44 Switch Review

Does any one know if if the DPP44 will work with a DP Twin LNB, a DP Single LNB and another DP Twin to see one more (4 total) sat location , or do I need to replace the second DP Twin LNB I already have with a DP single LNB.

I recently upgraded to a 721 from a 501. Therefore I only have 1 RG6 run in the wall to my receiver. I only have a need at this time to get satellites 110 and 119. I thought the DPP44 would be just the answer. Now I am not sure:

I just got off the phone with E* support. The lady I spoke with told me I would have to have 4 satellites hooked up to the DPP44 in order for it to function properly.

Is this true? At this time I do not want or need 2 addition satellites.

To get my 721 up and running I have a 35' piece of RG6 run across my basement floor. Would I be better off to wait for the DPP Twin LNB to be released and just use that. If I do add any more receivers, I would only add one more. But it would most likely be another 721.

Thanks in advance for your help. Corey

No you don't need 4 satellite locations for it to work. I had it running with only 1 with no problem a few days ago as I was doing some rewiring.

Just hook your single wire (without the seperator) to satellite input 2 on the 721 then let it take the software download.

corefra,

Always remember the true knowledge from this forum, as I benefit from here every single day :) Consider yourself are lucky that CSR who spoke to you at least knew that DPP44 exist, just don't know how it works; when I called couple of weeks ago, the CSR who answered my call did not even know there is such thing call DPP44, her final comment for me was Dish does not support any third party product..... It just amaze me that she still has the job. If I demonstrated such poor knowledge for my job, I will be out of door at no time.

DPP44 Working for 61.5, 110. 119 and 148

I was using an SW64 Switch cascading an SW21 and receiving 61.5, 110, 119 and 148. I ordered the promotion for the 811 including upgrade to DISH Pro technology and DPP44 switch in January. I waited until the DPP44 was available for installation. Finally last week DISH Network installers converted all my legacy LNBs to DISH Pro, installed the DPP44 and the 811. Now I receive all 4 satellites through the DPP44 switch. I also got the entire upgrade for $149. I also use an old 5000 receiver and it did not need an adapter to work with DISH Pro technology. To receive this promotion I had to give up my SW64 and SW21 switches.

I am very happy with this arrangement.

Now the decision is whether to purchase a 921 and connect it using the one cable and the separator.

Got my dpp44 hooked up and all 3 lnb's switched out this evening am only getting 3 sats (6000u) 148, 110 and 61.5 have them hooked up as 61.5 in 1 , 110 in 2, 148 in 3 ( when I tried port 4 with extra line from 500 I got 61.5, 110 and 119... gonna have to backread some here in this thread and the other one to see where I went wrong....

btw, my 501 which for a few days has not recognized any switches, nor found any sats when given a switch check with the dpp44 says...
Switch status: Connected to a DP44-500 with 4 inputs
Port1 dp-Dual-2 Good Connection, No Signal
Port2 dp-Quad-2 Good Connection, No Signal
Port3 dp-Dual-1 Good Connection, No Signal
Port 4 No Connection...(nothing hooked to it)
So I guess the receiver part of the 501 is gone with the wind, the Pvr part still plays... go figure

dfergie - any DP switch needs one feed cable per satellite.

Put 119 in Port 1, 110 in port 2 (for Twin/Quad, just any 2 feeds), wing satellite in port 3, and FSS in port 4.

In your case, you're likely to have some trouble trying to use 2 wing birds. You may find some receivers work better than others with it.

Yeah, I figured out that the Dpp Quad does not contain a switch like the legecy it replaced. and the fss port did not work, so I'm in the same boat I was in before...only with dpp equipment instead of legecy :D Unless the dp21 switch would work to cascade...

Actually, the DP Quad (there is no such thing as a DPP Quad) DOES have a built-in switch that can be thought of as a DP24 - just like the old Legacy Quads (except of course for the DP band-stacking).

I don't understand what you mean by "FSS port", nor do I know "what boat" you were in before. From your earlier post (#130), you are all DBS. FSS is only 105 & 121.

And yes, the DP21 can do a cascade with the DPP44 to get up to 5 birds.

SimpleSimon said:
Actually, the DP Quad (there is no such thing as a DPP Quad) DOES have a built-in switch that can be thought of as a DP24 - just like the old Legacy Quads (except of course for the DP band-stacking).

I don't understand what you mean by "FSS port", nor do I know "what boat" you were in before.
So if you have a dp receiver then a direct line from the quad should get you 119 and 110 then by itself. And by the same "boat" I mean I am stuck with 3 Sats as before....

dfergie said:
So if you have a dp receiver then a direct line from the quad should get you 119 and 110 then by itself. And by the same "boat" I mean I am stuck with 3 Sats as before....
Yes - so your config with a Quad, and a DP34 gives you 4 tuners of all 3 sats, and 2 with just 110/119.

Now, all that remains is getting the 3rd bird's signal to the remaining two tuners. There's a couple of ways of doing this, all involving DP21 switches.

You've got an unused feed of the 2nd dish sitting on the #3 (I assume - and it should be) cascade output of the DP34, plus an unused 110/119 output on the Quad, so now we have #5 covered. :)

#6 uses the last output of the Quad, a DP21, and if the 2nd dish has a Dual, it's unused output, or if it's only a single, we've found a use for the DishPro Splitter (not Separator). Put the splitter on the 2nd dish feed. This is one of the few cases that a DP Splitter is useful. That is, an unswitched, single satellite, DishPro feed.

I'm thinking the splitter's location does not matter - upstream of the DP34 or off the cascade output, although, it's probably best to put it upstream of the switch (see below).

LNBs need power, and I'm not sure which DP34 ports will pass power upstream. I suspect any tuner output will work, but maybe not the cascade ports, or the Splitter's #2 port. If the 2nd Dish's LNB is a Dual, whatever tuner is using that port (via DP21) will power it just fine.

Therefore, the 2nd dish's LNB will not have power unless something on the switch has power - which means one of tuners 1-4 has to be on for tuners 5-6 to see the 2nd LNB. I'm speculating a bit here - it'd be really nice if someone can test this for us. I would, but I'm just a simple old Legacy guy.

The Quad should take power from any of it's ports, so no problem there.

Thanks for the info Simon, but... I work the next 6 nights (12 shifts)off 1 sorta, ( get off thurs a.m. go back fri a.m.) then work 3 12hr days. One day off again...then 3 more nights and finally the weekend of the 24th 3 days off :) so It will be awhile before I get to play with this setup more. I think I will leave it alone as I get 148, 110 and 61.5 which gives me my hd package plus Both cbs hds and my locals :) btw the weekend of the 24th is a family reunion at my Aunts Ranch so...doubtfull then. Next month....

No one ever answered the OTA question - is it possible

Early in this thread there was a question about whether or not you could support OTA signals to a 921 using the DP Plus 44. The point of this would be to get OTA HD signals.

I'm thinking of installing a SuperDish and 921 but only have one cable going to the room.

Any thoughts ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)