DishPVR Forward/Rewind Problems

straycat

Original poster
Sep 21, 2005
Ever since the last software update I've noticed something weird in both my PVRs, is anyone else having this problem? When watching something that's pre-recorded, most of the time when I fast forward and stop, I actually end up back where I began, and sometimes I actually end up ahead and have to rewind again. Is anyone else having these problems navigating through shows?

SimpleSimon said:
Well, first, you might want to tell us which of the 10 models of E* DVR you have. :cool:

I noticed the rewind and FF was acting strange from time to time on my 501.
On mine sometimes it would'nt rewind without hitting the key 2 or 3 times. (and no it's not a problem with my remote)

It happens sometimes, it's not like every channel has it, some of them have it some of the times. It's like you FF about a minute ahead, press play, and it's back to where you started, it sucks...Just use the 30 second skip forward/10 second back when you see that's happening.

Mine's doing it now but I haven't turned it off in a while. If it doesn't get reset once in a while (to purge the memory) it gets kind of slow in it's response from the remote. Press "4" and it doesn't appear for half a second...Turn the receiver off for a while, see if it fixes itself...

WOW!!! Finally someone else having this problem!!!
I have both a 501 and 508 experiencing these same exact problems.

I was on the phone with Dish technical support last week regarding my replacement 501 and mentioned this problem to her for the 508. (And it showed up on my new/replacement 501 once received.) She asked around there and no one else had heard of this in the tech area, but she did suggest some things to try, which none of them worked.

I asked if it could be related to a software release, and she said it might be. She told me that she would make a note of this in case other people called in about the problem.

So, I would recommend that everyone experiencing this problem call into Dish's tech support and tell them about the problem. And if we have any members with connections to Dish, maybe they can talk to them on our behalf as well!!!

My 510 is doing the same thing. I noticed it last week. Up until now I have never had any problems with it. I did noticie that if you rewind it back to 1 minute or more it works correctly.

What I have now is a 501 and this wasn't happening at all until the recent software update. What was happening before and was rare and not as annoying is that when you would start fast forwarding at the first setting, it would fast forward almost at a slow motion rate, then it would pick up at normal speed, then it would slow down again, that has disappeared but this problem is even worse. I'm watching a baseball game and I have to fast forward like three times until I get to where I want to be or I have to skip the 30 seconds and then go back 10 etc, etc. Will definitely give Dish Network a call so they can start looking into this. It has to be a software problem if I was having the slow-motion problem before and now it's a totally different one.

My 508 started this about three weeks ago. I unplugged it but that didn't help. I then checked my 2 son's 508's, and they did the same thing. I have a new remote that I keep in the bedroom and I tried it using this remote and it seemed to work fine. I tried changing the batteries in the other remotes and it seems to work fine now. It doesn't really make sense that this was the problem but seems to work fine now.

Mike

Forget what I wrote about batteries. It was purely coincidental. After watching some ball games this afternoon, its back doing the same thing. Has anyone heard of a fix for this?

Mike

I have a 721 and I've been having trouble with the skip back getting stuck and only going back one second instead of ten.

This is not hack talk! Although somebody will probably delete it......

I had read that one nice thing about N2, yellow or internal card, encryption was that the DVR/PVR features could actually be controlled. I thought that this is what E* will eventually do, eventually charge everybody for DVR service, or they will turn it off, if you do not want that feature.

I noticed, when I received my ExpressVu DVR, A DEVICE MADE BY E*, before it was turned on by EV, the PVR/DVR features like rewind, pause, fast forward, did not work. They did after EV added the the receiver to my account.

I wonder if your problems could be with authorization issues which popped up with the new software.

Same problem with my 508 since the last update. I would say there is enough data here to conclude that dish screwed up latest sw release.