How is an on-demand software install of a Hopper accomplished?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

BarnRat

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 30, 2021
SW USA
How is an on-demand software load of the Hopper accomplished? The last time I requested a new software install (H339) of my Hopper 3, it started almost immediately. My understanding is that the comms between satellite and my rooftop dish is one-way. This implies that the software is constantly being transmitted 24 hrs a day from the satellite. Is that true? If not, how does the satellite (and uplink station) "know" to download the software?

ETA: I am asking about an on-demand software update in this thread -- I am NOT asking about on-demand customer program viewing.

Last edited:
I believe the request is accomplished via your internet connection as are all on demand transactions. If you don't have internet attached to your Hopper on demand of any kind won't work.

Reactions: charlesrshell
When my Hopper 3 was first installed I thought the installer said that he was downloading the software. At that time there was no internet connection. I didn't set up the WiFi connection for the Hopper until a week or two later. I must have misunderstood him and the Hopper software was already installed from the factory/warehouse.

Believe it or not, there is actually a channel that triggers, a software download. I can’t remember what the channel number is, but I assume that when you try to update the software, it’s like, the same way there’s a channel for Netflix. It’s not using your Internet to update software and it’s obviously beyond my pay grade, however, if your installer updated the software, what makes you think that you’re software is not up to date?

. . . if your installer updated the software, what makes you think that you’re software is not up to date?
I know my software is up to date. When the Hopper 3 was installed on 01/24/2023 it was loaded with H333. I initiated an on-demand software load of H339 on 03/26/2023. I was just curious about how the on-demand software downloads are accomplished.

It’s not using your Internet to update software .

What you're saying is that the software download IS coming from the satellite?

Last edited:
Just think of all the older receivers that had no Internet connection. And get this! I could use DishAnywhere to add timers to my 501. I am presuming that came down via satellite as well. I did have a phone line connected, but never heard the phone ring when I updated the timers remotely.

I know my software is up to date. When the Hopper 3 was installed on 01/24/2023 it was loaded with H333. I initiated an on-demand software load of H339 on 03/26/2023. I was just curious about how the software downloads are accomplished.

Of course it is. How would the receivers update for people who don't have internet?

Now back to my original opening post question: How is this accomplished? When I request an on-demand software update from the Hopper 3, how is this request made known to the uplink station/satellite so that it can immediately start the software download? If 50 different customers happen to request a software update at about the same time, will the satellite(s) transmit 50 different streams of data?

Last edited:
How would the receivers update for people who don't have internet?
Well how do they update on-demand? How is that request relayed so that the download can start? Does an on-demand software update require an internet connection to initiate/start the satellite download of the new code?

Well how do they update on-demand? How is that request relayed so that the download can start?
The updates are constantly being transmitted but only targeted to certain groups of receivers by serial numbers for automatic updates.

When you go into your receiver and request an update your receiver will check to see if the version currently available is newer than what you currently have and if it is it will then download and install it, that is updating by demand works

The updates are constantly being transmitted but only targeted to certain groups of receivers by serial numbers for automatic updates.

When you go into your receiver and request an update your receiver will check to see if the version currently available is newer than what you currently have and if it is it will then download and install it, that is updating by demand works
This is what I asked/suggested in my opening post. Thank you very much. :thumbup :)

Last edited:
If the receiver is not connected to the internet, you cannot do any on demand, movies, programs or software updates, you have to wait for your turn in line on dishes timetable.

If the receiver is not connected to the internet, you cannot do any on demand software updates, you have to wait for your turn in line on dishes timetable.
Not true.

I've never been connected to the internet. When I read on SatGuys about an upgrade, I go to Settings, Diagnostics, Tools and click on Upgrade Software. It has worked every time I've used it.

I don't know how it works, but the explanation in Post #11 above makes sense. It would be no different than a program which is sitting out there on a designated channel, waiting to be watched when the receiver makes that selection.

People without internet don't have access to On-Demand programming
Yes, thanks. I'm trying to discuss on-demand software updates in this thread -- in particular software updates to my Hopper 3 that I request from the Tools menu. This is stated in the thread title and in my opening post.

Last edited:
Not true.

I've never been connected to the internet. When I read on SatGuys about an upgrade, I go to Settings, Diagnostics, Tools and click on Upgrade Software. It has worked every time I've used it.

I don't know how it works, but the explanation in Post #11 above makes sense. It would be no different than a program which is sitting out there on a designated channel, waiting to be watched when the receiver makes that selection.
Yes, thanks. The explanation in post #11 (by n0qcu) does seem to make the most sense and seems to answer the question I asked in my opening post.

Last edited:
Internet can be wired (copper and fiber), wireless, or even done via satellite as it's just a transport method. What probably happens is the box queries the server via satellite and does the handshake for authentication, otherwise everyone that has non-DISH hardware would be able to download the software. So what happens is it asks the server via satellite what the current version of the software after exchanging information about what hardware one uses, then if the current version is greater than the one currently loaded, it will request the download and if the current version is the same version number or lower than what's currently loaded, it will just disconnect. I always wondered how Directv can update their boxes and use the new version without rebooting or maybe it's really it does not need to reboot to check if there is a new version like the DISH Hoppers require a nightly reboot.

Yes, thanks. I'm trying to discuss on-demand software updates in this thread -- in particular software updates to my Hopper 3 that I request from the Tools menu. This is stated in the thread title and in my opening post.
Yes and the On-Demand programming was brought up. You DO know that happens in discussions, right? Where people add other quasi-related things into them?

Status
Please reply by conversation.