How is an on-demand software install of a Hopper accomplished?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I am really going to regret answering this at 3am half-awake but can't sleep.

As I read the question, I hear 1. How do you update the firmware manually and immediately 2 How does the receiver receive it

In the Hopper menu under tools is there is an update link that will do one of three things 1 say it's already up to date 2 reboot and not update 3 updates
How does your receiver receive it? definitely by satellite. I bet HipKat was the closest. I bet it tunes to a unseen channel that sends the file. You are correct in saying the dish is a one-way system without phone or internet. Dish admits to updating receivers in batches not all at once. Leads me to believe there must be something that tells it to accept that file or not. Just because an update is out and you manually request it doesn't mean you will be updated. When you request a programing change or miss a payment, they can send your receiver and only your receiver information by satellite. Just by looking at the guide channels especially on the upper end many are missing or jump numbers. I bet those missing channels are key to updates and guides.

you asked how the installer was updating it. They can by a USB thumb drive or by Satellite.

I find this a very interesting topic but this may be very confidential to Dish in how it operates. I know decades ago people pulled the phone cord out and ordered a bunch of movies. Dish quickly fixed that by requiring it to phone home more often to report in those movies and receive authorization to continue service. Security over the years has greatly changed.

Now in case I lost my mind and read your question wrong??? for on-demand and Pay-per-view. On-Demand is the ability to start watching a movie instantly like a DVR and is only possible if connected by internet. (Sometimes I feel like its streaming it over the internet as well) Pay-per-view is watching an all-day or prescheduled (typically plays over and over on one channel all day) movie that doesn't require internet. You call in and Dish sends a "hit" or a message by Satellite to your receiver to allow you to view it. (I do not think you can order a pay-per-view by remote control if you do not have internet. This was Dish's fix on stopping the unknown movie purchases)

Status
Please reply by conversation.