Dish's Ergen considers bid for T-Mobile if Sprint deal fails

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I think it would be a great idea if Dish and Direct offered their own cell phone network through a mesh network using existing satellite dishes that they have installed.

Maybe that's what the news reporting meant by "already having the rights to the rooftop". But I must point out that a satellite dish pointed at the sky cannot (by itself) be a link in this mesh network. Another type of antenna, probably omnidirectional and "aimed" at the horizon, would be necessary, along with ancillary equipment more like a router and not much like a satellite receiver.

They could eventually build lnb's that received information from the satellite that could be used on the data network and use roof/satellite network to mesh the signals back to local towers to transmit the packets back.

I think it would be a great idea if Dish and Direct offered their own cell phone network through a mesh network using existing satellite dishes that they have installed. I have wondered why cable/dsl have not offered such a service themselves.

Something like this is already being done by the major ISP's: They use all their (the ones the ISP provides, not the one you purchased from a retailer and installed yourself) WiFi routers in the homes to also allow anyone to access to your WiFi router to access the ISP's network to create a public WiFi network virtually anywhere in that ISP's area. Ironically, the EFF is in FAVOR of such a system. Of course, the access to your ISP provided WiFi router is as something like a GUEST access, and would not access the rest of your network. Some have even said that such a system could provide "plausible deniability" should it be discovered that an illegal website was accessed via your IP address of the ISP provided WiFi router. I've seen a map that shows a tremendous number of ISP provided WiFi routers are out there with heavy coverage. Remember, people on this forum may view getting their own WiFi Router and going through the process of setting up their LAN/WiFi easy, but the vast numbers of the common Joe Blows don't even know where to start, and easily opt for the ISP to come in and set everything up and ready to use. No techy knowledge required.

My only concerns are if He does buy T-mobile will he keep their CEO? Will a discount be offered if you have Dish and T-mobile? Or will prices get jacked up? I am thinking of switching to T-mobile. Tired of Verizon.

I am tired of Verizon too, but T-Mobile is not the answer I found to be compelling. My wife is going to try Cricket pre-paid. There are many pre-paid services which each have pros and cons. As for Dish buying T-Mobile, at least that would be better than Sprint.

I think Dish will end up with them bc as mentioned in an article I was reading, regulators would be pleased as it would leave 4 main company's in the game. If Charlie invests money into improving T-mobile and coverage greatly improves then I could see a lot of people switch to their service.

Everything I read, is not that the Feds have, but harbinger capital and Falcone. http://www.marketwatch.com/story/fa...15-billion-rico-suit-vs-ergen-dish-2014-07-09

Looks like Falcone is just in a pissing match, since Charlie got him fired. Rightfully fired.
Charlie isnt going to win this one because he tried to acquire the company with a hostile take over using a hedge fund. The issue with light squared wireless spectrum is that it butts up against the frequency range that gps systems use. GPS which is now a public service but it is still controlled by the Department of Defense.

I've had faith this long, might as well keep having faith that Charlie has it under control. I'm confident not only he will win, but will at some point use the defense that Falcone is wasting taxpayers money with a frivolous lawsuit, because he is upset over the final outcome of the arbitration.

Charlie isnt going to win this one because he tried to acquire the company with a hostile take over using a hedge fund. The issue with light squared wireless spectrum is that it butts up against the frequency range that gps systems use. GPS which is now a public service but it is still controlled by the Department of Defense.
Charlie Ergen did nothing wrong here, and where the frequencies are has nothing to do with the case.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App using an iPhone.

Reactions: ChadT41
I've had faith this long, might as well keep having faith that Charlie has it under control. I'm confident not only he will win, but will at some point use the defense that Falcone is wasting taxpayers money with a frivolous lawsuit, because he is upset over the final outcome of the arbitration.
I smell counter suit.

Reactions: ChadT41
Unless I misunderstand rico laws and how they are written what Charlie did behind the secnes
Charlie Ergen did nothing wrong here, and where the frequencies are has nothing to do with the case.

Using a private hedge fund to fund a hostile takeover while trying to drive down the price of the company using more public means.
This is the very reason why RICO laws exist.

Charlie used his own money, and dish was not involved at all. It was on light squared to do their due diligence. They did not. Falcone got fired for it. Charlie did nothing wrong as a private citizen.

Charlie used his own money, and dish was not involved at all. It was on light squared to do their due diligence. They did not. Falcone got fired for it. Charlie did nothing wrong as a private citizen.

Unless you have different source of info than I have yes Charlie had both his personal money and Dish money involved.

In 2012, Ergen started tapping his multi-billion-dollar personal fortune to buy the majority of LightSquared’s debt, using a hedge fund Ergen controlled. Owning the debt put Ergen in position to buy LightSquared spectrum assets at auction for a fraction of their potential worth.

But Harbinger and Falcone suspected Dish might try such a move, and Harbinger expressly forbade its debt being sold to the satellite TV company or its subsidiaries. Ergen claims his personal purchases of the debt didn’t violate those legal restrictions.

Separately, in 2013, Dish Network offered $2.2 billion to buy LightSquared frequencies, though it later withdrew the offer, citing unspecified technical issues with the frequencies it had not previously known about.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)