Dish's FCC Filing on E-14 Satellite to 119 W

There is a continuing war between Directv, Echostar, and Spectrum Five regarding permits. It revolves around the new 4.5 degree spacing for BSS 12.2-12.7 interference and the new 17Ghz BSS spacing and interference.

Here is Spectrum's latest salvo attacking Echostar.

http://licensing.fcc.gov/ibfsweb/ib.page.FetchAttachment?attachment_key=717722

Only comment I have is that Spectrum lives in a glass house and is throwing rocks. I have no idea how they managed to get their 12,2-12-7 license at 114.5W over the objections of the other two combatants. That particular Spectrum Five license is riddled with errors, omissions and inconsistancies and makes the Echostar 14 applicaton look like a crown jewel in comparison.
I love how Spectrum Five is attacking E* about their "satellite system" at 114.5 that exists only on paper. Has Spectrum Five submitted their construction plans yet for their 114.5 satellite?

I love how Spectrum Five is attacking E* about their "satellite system" at 114.5 that exists only on paper. Has Spectrum Five submitted their construction plans yet for their 114.5 satellite?

Final Design "subject to revison if coordination requires" is complete and was filed last winter.

Space Loral is the contractor.

There are two satellites with each taking half the load for the 114.5W slot.

The principle filing includes the narrative, original tech data and the Schedule S ( all the technical numbers for the satellite).

FCC INTERNATIONAL BUREAU

Click on "Other filings related to theis application" to see the chronology of followup submissions, and the comments from the competitors. It's fun to read the chronology.

so echo 14is in danger of not being launched?

They will not have problem launching,

Spectrum is arguing that while the Conus beam is within standards (Conus can be dialed in so it is not stronger than the original license for 119W), the 50 or so spotbeams on E14 create a bunch of "hot spots" that would affect their satellite spot beams. So it is about the operating power levels for the spots. And, the 15 Echostar 7 spotbeams would have priority over Spectrum spotbeams.

Both Directv and Echostar have been howling about faulty filings by Spectrum and lack of effort by Spectrum to coordinate, but apparantly to no avail (as of today).

Sorry to bring up a somewhat old thread but I did some research on the capabilities of commerical launch vehicles since there is a great deal of question about what vehicle that the E-14 satellite will be launched on because of its reported launch mass of 6308 kg. I believe that the E-14 satellite will be launched on a Proton becuase I don't think that mass is accurate to what will actually be launched but only reflects the mass if the fuel tanks are filled completely which rarely happens with satellites. Realize that satellite manufacturers such as Loral and Lockheed Martin don't manufacture their own tanks but buy from a tank vendor that has standard tank sizes so they will have to buy a bigger tank than they need otherwise their costs go up for a unique size tank. There are other reasons why you don't fill a propellant tank very close to its capacity related to pressure ratings but that's another discussion.

I base the launch of E-14 on a Proton from some information I found on the DirecTV-10 satellite that was launched on a Proton back in July of 2007. It had a total mass of 5893 kg but a dry mass i.e., without propellants of 3715 kg. The dry mass of E-14 as reported in the FCC filing is only 3223 kg. I realize Dish has had the propensity to move their satellites around recently and use more fuel but I still don't think a satellite that weighs about 500 kgs less than another is going to have 900 kgs more of propellant loaded on it than another. If you look at some of the projected schedules for Proton launches in early 2010, it appears there is some room for E-14 to go at that time.

Keep in mind, once on station, it really takes very little fuel to move to another location.

Regarding how a sloppy application by Spectrum 5 could get approved by the FCC:

Someone on this board claimed that Spectrum 5 had friends in the Bush administration. It appears that since the change in administration, Spectrum 5 isn't always getting its way.

Here is the Echostar Response to the Spectrum Five letter regarding interference and coordination.

http://licensing.fcc.gov/ibfsweb/ib.page.FetchAttachment?attachment_key=727723

A pretty scathing letter calling out Spectrum 5's complete lack of doing anything but trying to cash in on the slot. I would not mind competition to Dish/DIRECTV with a new operator. We of course saw how VOOM went, but perhaps a better idea is waiting out there somewhere. But, of course if S5 does not bother to come up with a working satellite plan why should DIRECTV or Dish have to mess around answering their concerns.

Wichita Spotbeam?

Our friends down in Wichita are wondering when they will get HD Locals. Does E*14 have a spotbeam that will cover the SW 2/3 of Kansas for the Wichita DMA? I know that neither E*12 nor Ciel-2 can do this.

Brad

Our friends down in Wichita are wondering when they will get HD Locals. Does E*14 have a spotbeam that will cover the SW 2/3 of Kansas for the Wichita DMA? I know that neither E*12 nor Ciel-2 can do this.

Brad

There is a beam on 129 the covers the City of Wichita well but not the entire DMA. DMA here - Wichita DMA

Spotbeam 29 even has a transponder open but I doubt they want to create another Denver, CO or Scranton, PA "half DMA" issue at this time. 129 Spot 29 - Coverage and contents

E14 will have coverage for the entire DMA. E14 is rather odd on their spotbeam sizes and shapes. Spotbeam B9 - Click Here This spotbeam will be capable of 4 transponders.

Spotbeam 29 even has a transponder open but I doubt they want to create another Denver, CO or Scranton, PA "half DMA" issue at this time.

That's funny, I didn't know they were showing any signs of being bothered by that sort of thing.

Looks like there are no spotbeams on E-14 for the Lubbock area, just like 129.

Maybe we get our HD locals off 110 where our SD locals are - yea right!

Seems like Dish would want to really ace out DirecTV here since DirecTV doesn't even offer SD locals in this area.

Oh well, we get everything easily OTA.

OK where is the spotbeam map?

I've looked through the entire thread and I now feel really dense. I saw the conus beams maps but I couldn't find the spotbeam maps. :confused:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)