Dish's FCC Filing on E-14 Satellite to 119 W

I smell "greenmail". I wonder if Spectrum Five is trying to lease the 114 slot to E*?

I think you got it right!

It is questionable if anyone can afford to get into the business to compete with Dish/Directv.

And, Echostar's experience with their 86W slot showed that it was necessary to keep the beam out of Canada to avoid interfering with the adjoining Canadian slots. I just don't think any 12.2-12.7 Ghz slots between existing US slots are realistically practicable today.

And, both Dish/Echostar and Directv will have a slew of new 17Ghz BSS satellites that should cover all their expansion needs.

With all the problems Spectrum Five caused with E11 why would Echostar want to give Spectrum Five one red cent?

There is no way Spectrum Five can meet their milestones. They will lose their license, then the whole issue of coordinating with Spectrum Five will be moot.

With all the problems Spectrum Five caused with E11 why would Echostar want to give Spectrum Five one red cent?

There is no way Spectrum Five can meet their milestones. They will lose their license, then the whole issue of coordinating with Spectrum Five will be moot.

If Spectrum Five loses its license I think Dish will jump on the opportunity to apply for a DBS license there. Since the FCC auctions for DBS spectrum were ruled invalid, I believe it would be on a first come first serve basis in granting the license but others could apply the same day as Dish and if that happened the spectrum would be divided.

The head bumping continues between Dish/Echostar and Spectrum Five with this latest salvo from Spectrum Five.

http://licensing.fcc.gov/ibfsweb/ib.page.FetchAttachment?attachment_key=745828

A little background. Dish/Echostar contend that the Spectrum Five satellite needing coordination is a "phantom" and does not exist. Per the 2006 license, it must be launched in the next year or it loses it's license for US transmissions.

Spectrum has to "coordinate" with Dish/Echostar also and Dish/Echostar say they have not even opened the door.

Additonally, when the Spectrum license was granted, there was a condtion that Spectrum had to submit the gxt contours needed for analysis by date certain. They did submit gxt files, but changed their design from a 4 beam system to a twenty some beam system for that submission and never resubmitted their Schedule S to reflect the change in number of beams (making it impossible to calculate EIRP levels). I put in a request for the updated Schedule S and was told by FCC that I should request it direct from Spectrum Five and FCC can not talk about it.

Arguing from Spectrum's point of view, Dish/Echostar has apparantly acknowledged that the E14 beam patterns are sufficiently different than E7 to require a submission to the ITU to reflect those changes. The FCC application being filed this past May and the acknowledgement concerning ITU filings acknowledged this past August.

http://licensing.fcc.gov/ibfsweb/ib.page.FetchAttachment?attachment_key=738531http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws...ts?f_key=-165509&f_number=SATLOA2009051800053

Arguing from Spectrum's point of view, Dish/Echostar has apparantly acknowledged that the E14 beam patterns are sufficiently different than E7 to require a submission to the ITU to reflect those changes. The FCC application being filed this past May and the acknowledgement concerning ITU filings acknowledged this past August.

http://licensing.fcc.gov/ibfsweb/ib.page.FetchAttachment?attachment_key=738531http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws...ts?f_key=-165509&f_number=SATLOA2009051800053

There is no doubt the E-14 beam patterns would be different from those of E-7 just by the fact that E-14 has a significantly greater number of spotbeams. I would also think that the E-14 CONUS beams are different with perhaps better coverage in the Carribean and less coverage into Canada and Mexico. Technology improvements have allowed for more precise beam patterns.

It's pretty damn hard to coordinate with a bird that construction has not even begun.

Look like E14 is going to be like E11. So powerful it interferes with satellites that don't even exist.

The FCC just needs to get tough and say, you missed your filing deadline, you cannot complain about anything until you get current with your submissions. It is not fair to Dish, DIRECTV or anyone else having S5 just complaining without filing the proper specs on their satellite to let others know what to design around.

The FCC just needs to get tough and say, you missed your filing deadline, you cannot complain about anything until you get current with your submissions. It is not fair to Dish, DIRECTV or anyone else having S5 just complaining without filing the proper specs on their satellite to let others know what to design around.

Maybe it is under construction. They only have to update status once per year and the last update said design was complete.

E14 footprint red shapes in the middle of the ocean...

I was looking at the echostar 14 footprints posted by nelson61.

I was wondering what the red shapes in the middle of the ocean are. Does this mean they provide coverage for crew ships or something ?

There is a few of them one in the gulf of Mexico, another one south of the baja peninsula and it seems like a few others in the Hawaii area.

Sorry if this is an obvious question for some of you guys.

I was wondering what the red shapes in the middle of the ocean are. Does this mean they provide coverage for crew ships or something ?

There is a few of them one in the gulf of Mexico, another one south of the baja peninsula and it seems like a few others in the Hawaii area.

Too weak to receive with anything but a massive dish. Those contours simply represent signal bleeding from the CONUS beam. While sat design has improved, you can't make sure every stray signal goes where you want.

I've been working on a new modeling program that will clarify the data better. Expect to have it done soon.

Meanwhile, for E14, the red zone should get reception with something like a 1,8 meter antenna (note how one of the anomalies covers cabo).

Called their bluff and accepted the same conditions that were imposed on E-11.:D

Correct. And, the final outcome is yet to be told since the Spectrum annual report on progress is filed at the end of June each year. The last one had the design complete. It takes two years or so to build and they will have to prove they put up real money and lots of it next June or their license will be revoked.

Sadly, in the event they do not perform, nothing else other than loss of license will happen since the Spectrum license is for one of the networks that does not require bonding: ie: for the cost of some design studies and lawyers fees, they have effectively tied up advances in spectrum use in the longitudinal area of their proposed satellites for many years.

Anyone have an idea when it (e*14) will launch?

I believe it is scheduled to launch no earlier than the first few months of 2010 and should be launched no later than mid 2010. It will be launched on a Proton launch vehicle.

I believe it is scheduled to launch no earlier than the first few months of 2010 and should be launched no later than mid 2010. It will be launched on a Proton launch vehicle.

Great. I am anticipating the two spot beams for Hawaii. :hungry:

We should then be able to get all Dish HD channels and the program guide (plus the SD channels) on two birds (119 and 129) with one 500h dish. That should put e* ahead of d* in the 50th state.

I noticed an earlier post by digiblur indicating a January 2010 launch with operational readiness by 3/1/2010. (Post 7 or 8 of this thread, I think.) Is there reason to believe this timetable has slipped?

Thanks, Fitzie

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)