Dish's lack of HD Claims

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
I find it interesting that Dish really stays out of the ongoing HD pissing contest.

I mean D*, C* and TWC are all making CLAIMS about what they are doing and what they will be able to do. When I swapped I was amazed to see what E* had in HD already and to learn that they actually have capacity left. I really do not remember the last time I saw a E* commercial.

Well overall its real smart. Why make claims to things that are out of your control for most part. Dish they just seem to add HD Channels instead of making claims that they will add ones that don't exists yet. So no one can add a HD Channel for a particular network until that network gets a HD version of their channel up running first. So let the others make claims while Dish just adds them when they can. Kind of like don't make promises on things that dont exists yet. As far as advertising what customers want to pay for that. Just another excuse for some companies to raise their rates. :)

Well overall its real smart. Why make claims to things that are out of your control for most part. Dish they just seem to add HD Channels instead of making claims that they will add ones that don't exists yet. So no one can add a HD Channel for a particular network until that network gets a HD version of their channel up running first. So let the others make claims while Dish just adds them when they can. Kind of like don't make promises on things that yet to exists. :)

Yeah, I mean I actually had no idea anyone had HGTVHD and FoodHD.

While Dish hasn't added channels since the fall (until tomorrow anyway), they have a lot of HD already. The problem with DirecTV's advertising campaign is that they have not delivered on anything as of yet. Its now five months since the big announcement at CES in January. I do think for this anyway, Echostar has been smart.

AND I really dislike those Major League Charlie Sheen commercials. Geez, its a what, 10 year old movie?

Yeah actions speak louder than words and when it comes to adding HD channels Dish just seems to add them. Rather than talking about ones that are not out yet. :)

DISH does not have many commercials period and never did. It always struck me as odd that they don't see TV as the best way to sell a service that delivers TV but it has never been the main focus of the ir campaigns.

DISH does not have many commercials period and never did. It always struck me as odd that they don't see TV as the best way to sell a service that delivers TV but it has never been the main focus of the ir campaigns.

Good thing about companies that don't advertise all over the place is most of the time they use the money for better things like higher quality and lower prices.

I wouldn't exactly bet on that! But then there is the flip side, for example the barrage of GEICO ads ad nauseum, and in every medium I access to boot! If I were a GEICO customer I'd be quite pissed at all that potential savings and possible insulation from future rate increases being pi$$ed away on those senseless ads...

The problem with DirecTV's advertising campaign is that they have not delivered on anything as of yet. Its now five months since the big announcement at CES in January. I do think for this anyway, Echostar has been smart.

I have to disagree to some extent. While promoting channels that don't exist for the most part doesn't mean anything, when you have the networks themselves (like Disney, CNN, etc) stating that they will be launching HD feeds later this year or early next year and that those channels will be exclusive DirecTV, I think that is an issue. Where is E* in making it's exclusive deals for new feeds?

While Dish hasn't added channels since the fall (until tomorrow anyway), they have a lot of HD already. The problem with DirecTV's advertising campaign is that they have not delivered on anything as of yet. Its now five months since the big announcement at CES in January. I do think for this anyway, Echostar has been smart.

AND I really dislike those Major League Charlie Sheen commercials. Geez, its a what, 10 year old movie?

What about the claim 2 years ago at CES of 1500 channels of HD, while today they still have the same HD line up they did then. I think E* learned from their partnership with Microsoft on the original Dishplayer not to make claims that will not or can not come true.

Except for HD RSNs. Those are nice.

Really? Those of us in areas served by Comcast Sports Net West (Sacramento), Altitude Sports & Entertainment, Madison Square Garden Network, Fox Sports New York, Fox Sports Arizona, Fox Sports Bay Area, Fox Sports Northwest, Comcast Sports Net Chicago, Fox Sports New England, Fox Sports North or Sports Net New York wouldn't know.

Only kidding bowens, just frustrated here.

Really? Those of us in areas served by Comcast Sports Net West (Sacramento), Altitude Sports & Entertainment, Madison Square Garden Network, Fox Sports New York, Fox Sports Arizona, Fox Sports Bay Area, Fox Sports Northwest, Comcast Sports Net Chicago, Fox Sports New England, Fox Sports North or Sports Net New York wouldn't know.

Only kidding bowens, just frustrated here.

Well, Bowens got all of his RSNs so he's happy but the rest of us are just sitting here waiting for them. :mad:

and yes, you'll keep hearing from me until Fox Sports Bay Area is added.

Cheap Charlie

I think not advertising too much is pretty smart, too, actually. They can piggyback on Directv's ads. You watch the ad, go hmmm satellite hd, that sounds pretty awesome. Then probably 99% of the people who go online to check out directv go out and see what dish is offering, too. :tux:

I have to disagree to some extent. While promoting channels that don't exist for the most part doesn't mean anything, when you have the networks themselves (like Disney, CNN, etc) stating that they will be launching HD feeds later this year or early next year and that those channels will be exclusive DirecTV, I think that is an issue. Where is E* in making it's exclusive deals for new feeds?

When DID CNN and Disney say they would be launching HD channels that would be available exclusively on D*? I do remember Disney announcing four or five channels and saying they had signed on with D* but I don't recall anything about them not being available to others. Did I miss something again?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)