Dish's New Nationwide Broadband

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Both Excede (Wild Blue) and Jupiter (Hughesnet) are great products now compared to what they were before. I think their market shares will increase greatly over the next few years, and good for them. However, their highly restrictive bandwidth caps have not changed enough to warrant marketing them for anything involving video streaming. This is what Dish Network / DishNET is doing, and will do, until someone sues them.

No one streams full "uncompressed" Blu Rays by the way. Most HD "Blu Ray" ripped movies floating around on the web are 3 to 6 Gigs, depending.
No but you can dnld them. And that would eat you alive real fast.

The issue is not going to be speed, low caps are going to kill it. For folks just browsing the internet, they'll be fine. For others it will be a rude awakening. Since dish techs will be installing these systems they will also be making the receivers internet ready. Wonder how many movies a hopper or otherwise will handle before it's c(r)apped out? Probably not many. :eek:

The issue is not going to be speed, low caps are going to kill it. For folks just browsing the internet, they'll be fine. For others it will be a rude awakening. Since dish techs will be installing these systems they will also be making the receivers internet ready. Wonder how many movies a hopper or otherwise will handle before it's c(r)apped out? Probably not many. :eek:

Totally agree.I wonder if Dish would consider giving extra cap space to Dish customers,just for bb@home and dish-on-demand?I doubt they could feasibly do it though.

you did notice that he said throttling, right?
no extra charge when you hit the cap, just slower speed.
just like it is with any other satellite service.

you did notice that he said throttling, right?
no extra charge when you hit the cap, just slower speed.
just like it is with any other satellite service.

I've heard it often reported that when you hit the cap, and they throttle you, you're getting speeds lower than dialup. Is that true?

I wonder with these new satellites, if they can or will be a little bit more forgiving with the throttling, say, 0.1 or 0.2 Mega bits per second rather than 0.01 or 0.02...

I've heard from many people that I've been affiliated with that the throttling is worse than dial up. Network timeout issues & pages that will just simply not load. This alone will have dish csrs taking a lot more calls from customers who think they have a legitimate service issue. I'd hate to be the csr to break the news that your account has been 'fap'ped. :eek:

Just want to add that I had satellite internet when it was DirectPC. And let me just say, while the caps, speed, etc are all way, WAY better than it was then (I was capped at 170 megabytes/24 hours, 400KB/sec), that latency is going to be a problem for a lot of people. You can forget about any sort of "live" online gaming . and VOIP will be like a sat phone. It's a simple matter of physics. The satellite is 22,000 miles away, and at the speed of light, it still takes 2 tenths of a seconds for your data to travel there (and it needs to come back, too for another 2 tenths of a second.)

Last edited:
Just want to add that I had satellite internet when it was DirectPC. And let me just say, while the caps, speed, etc are all way, WAY better than it was then (I was capped at 170 megabytes/24 hours, 400KB/sec), that latency is going to be a problem for a lot of people. You can forget about any sort of "live" online gaming . and VOIP will be like a sat phone. It's a simple matter of physics. The satellite is 22,000 miles away, and at the speed of light, it still takes 2 tenths of a seconds for your data to travel there (and it needs to come back, too for another 2 tenths of a second.)

Right. The biggest problem I have is how this internet product will inevitably be marketed, advertised, and sold by Dish Network. They will NOT tell the customer about ANY of the limitations, except in language the customer will not comprehend, if at all. There is just no way the worst company in the country to work for is going to have sales reps with enough moral fiber and wherewithal to make full disclosures for the true benefit of the customer. I think it's a horrible idea, especially for a company who's flagship product is video services, to offer a bundled internet service which is inherently incompatible with video delivery. I mean, if the technicians actually hook up the satellite receivers to this satellite internet, there is a very real possibility a majority of the bundled customers will at some time try to stream Blockbuster videos. I know they would if it were DirecTV, with their On Demand content. It's just a disaster waiting to happen. In the end, it will be a self correcting problem, as customers will become (further) disgusted with Dish Network for their sales tactics, subscribers continue to switch, employee moral continues to fall, etc, etc. But the correction will hurt a lot of people who rely on this corporate structure for their income. Best to leave while the getting is good. Techs have been leaving for years (I was one of them). CSRs should leave. Customers should leave. The sooner the better for everyone.

/rant
:)

I'm disappointed by what's on the table from DISH so far on this. I may have set my expectations too high after reading the comments in the Exede thread earlier this year on how Dish was going to have a better offering. Having a low data caps on off-peak hours times is a step backwards.. but competition is a good thing. Exede now does not count the data xfers between midnight and 5am for the time zone you're in. I can't believe this is a coincidence now that their competition is revving up their new service. Perhaps Dish will realize they have to compete too. The data caps are too low for the price for BOTH companies. So, is dishNET going to be the re-branding of Hughesnet like Wildblue was re-branded Excede.... or can we expect different plans from Hughesnet with better data caps in the future? It cost $10 more to go from 5GB any to 10GB any, but an extra $20 for 10GB any to 15GB any. Why not just $10. How about offering 5GB for $10 for extra data caps.

Right. The biggest problem I have is how this internet product will inevitably be marketed, advertised, and sold by Dish Network. They will NOT tell the customer about ANY of the limitations, except in language the customer will not comprehend, if at all. There is just no way the worst company in the country to work for is going to have sales reps with enough moral fiber and wherewithal to make full disclosures for the true benefit of the customer. I think it's a horrible idea, especially for a company who's flagship product is video services, to offer a bundled internet service which is inherently incompatible with video delivery. I mean, if the technicians actually hook up the satellite receivers to this satellite internet, there is a very real possibility a majority of the bundled customers will at some time try to stream Blockbuster videos. I know they would if it were DirecTV, with their On Demand content. It's just a disaster waiting to happen. In the end, it will be a self correcting problem, as customers will become (further) disgusted with Dish Network for their sales tactics, subscribers continue to switch, employee moral continues to fall, etc, etc. But the correction will hurt a lot of people who rely on this corporate structure for their income. Best to leave while the getting is good. Techs have been leaving for years (I was one of them). CSRs should leave. Customers should leave. The sooner the better for everyone.

/rant
:)

You act as if this is the first internet product Dish has had and shame on them for making it available. This is the same product they have been selling for a few years and have been marketing it the same way. It has actually been improved over these years too.

As for being concerned about not being told about drawbacks from Dish it is generally better to go to a local retailer to get the best information. I make sure I don't sell satellite internet to anyone that has DSL or cable options available because it just wouldn't make sense.

I make sure I don't sell satellite internet to anyone that has DSL or cable options available because it just wouldn't make sense.

May I ask why?

Let's say someone is a casual internet user. They don't stream anything, ever. But has DSL and is paying almost double for 1/2 the speed of what's being offered by Dish.

Wouldn't it make sense for that person to switch?

May I ask why?

Let's say someone is a casual internet user. They don't stream anything, ever. But has DSL and is paying almost double for 1/2 the speed of what's being offered by Dish.

he probably doesn't see that kind of customer in his store. Every area is different.

May I ask why?

In that case it would make sense but that's not the case. DSL and cable internet have cheaper packages here. The main purpose I sell it that way is because I don't want to sell a product I don't think my customer will be happy with. I basically tell them the advantages and disadvantages and let them decide. I'm just trying let the customer know upfront so they can't be upset with me if it's not what they were expecting.

At one point I had WildBlue and I hated it. I would tell customers it can work fine for casual internet usage but for anything else like videos and gaming it would not work. I hate having customers calling me complaining about something I sold them because they think it's a crappy product or I lied to them. Mostly just protecting myself.

dsl starts at 19.99 a month
perfect for the casual user

sat internet is only if you have no other choice
it will not replace cable, dsl or even wireless access

and anything with any kind of a cap is not suitable for streaming anything

I install hughes on a regular basis & I can tell you 1st hand that people signup for this service for all kinds of reasons & yes you definitely see a lot folks who have access to dsl or cable & you're there to replace it. I learned a long time ago not to question anyone's motive or reason to switch, with that said unless I signed up a customer personally I sure am not going to resale the job either. I'm there for 1 reason only & that's to "install", it's not my fault someone didn't do their homework or that a salesman lied.
Our company gets many dish jobs for hughes & a good portion of them are recovery act. Apparently even though that program technically ended dish can still do it. 90% + of those types of jobs have a cable or dsl modem in place when you walk in the door. Thankfully dish is training their own people to do these jobs & it's a good possibility I won't have to deal with them anymore.
Many people who have access to other internet are signing up because the cable or phone co only does bundles or the price is substantially higher for internet by itself. I had a customer recently tell me he was switching because he owed charter & centurylink money from past bills & it was cheaper for him to get into hughes. He'll owe hughes $$ before its over with. Also a big majority of people are not big bandwidth users & there are also plenty who are that have no idea about caps until they have been throttled down. Either way it boils down to sales people informing customers about any limitations up front.

Mfinchv1 said:
Then when we gonna hear bout Ollo? It was suppose to be dishes broadband network...why this instead??

Not for awhile in fact it could be a few more years

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

In that case it would make sense but that's not the case. DSL and cable internet have cheaper packages here. The main purpose I sell it that way is because I don't want to sell a product I don't think my customer will be happy with. I basically tell them the advantages and disadvantages and let them decide. I'm just trying let the customer know upfront so they can't be upset with me if it's not what they were expecting.

At one point I had WildBlue and I hated it. I would tell customers it can work fine for casual internet usage but for anything else like videos and gaming it would not work. I hate having customers calling me complaining about something I sold them because they think it's a crappy product or I lied to them. Mostly just protecting myself.

Your tactics are not the norm, but should be as whole for everyone. I signup a fair share of customers & never intentionally leave out important info. Heck, with people I signup I even help them with their rebates, before activation on direct & after on dish.

Are they going to keep telling customers the installer will "give them wifi" so I can't sell Smart Home Services Wifi setup to any of them?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts