dishstandsbyyou gives you a great credit for fox dispute

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Where ya been? The idea that there is a contract in place for FS1 that does not expire for some time - and then when Fox News comes up for renewal, the renewal for Fox News is tied to paying MORE for FS1 (which has a signed contract in place) is not extortion than I guess you simply do not understand the term very well. Really? Are you serious?

Open your eyes Mark609, Fox is trying to screw you.

You're parroting the info given to us by Ergen. Just because Charlie says it doesn't mean it's so. Sorry, but I don't trust the man or his business practices. Me and my friends have been at the receiving end of some screw jobs. One was when the local channels came into play years ago. I had friends being charged for 2 sets of locals when they authorized Dish to receive only one. It almost happened to me but I caught it in time. Who needs 2 of everything - ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox locals......

Take the last increase in monthly fees, know how I found out? By reviewing my bill - no email, no snail mail, no prior notice of any kind. When I asked about it it was the same old song, "our programmers have increased fees."

When I moved to my current home we were screwed out of a couple of months of charges. Maybe it's me but years ago the way they posted this and that, you really couldn't understand the continuum of charges, at least this dumbie couldn't. "We charge 30 days in the arrears for this, 30 days advance for that......."

Gosh you really drink the kool aid, don't you? Try reviewing the independent news articles rather than statements from Fox bozo Tim Carry. He also said Dish lost 90,000 customers over this.....which is a total bunch of b.s.

That's a feeling not a fact. I bet by the time this is all over it's gonna be far more than 90,000 lost subscribers. Why? Because there is a latency thingie going on. It takes weeks for new providers to install equipment and service and only at that point will Dish customers cancel their accounts. Fox loyal customers will hold on for only so long before throwing in the towel.

Mark my word......

That's a feeling not a fact. I bet by the time this is all over it's gonna be far more than 90,000 lost subscribers. Why? Because there is a latency thingie going on. It takes weeks for new providers to install equipment and service and only at that point will Dish customers cancel their accounts. Fox loyal customers will hold on for only so long before throwing in the towel.

Mark my word......
You're parroting the info given to us by Ergen. Just because Charlie says it doesn't mean it's so. Sorry, but I don't trust the man or his business practices. Me and my friends have been at the receiving end of some screw jobs. One was when the local channels came into play years ago. I had friends being charged for 2 sets of locals when they authorized Dish to receive only one. It almost happened to me but I caught it in time. Who needs 2 of everything - ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox locals......

Take the last increase in monthly fees, know how I found out? By reviewing my bill - no email, no snail mail, no prior notice of any kind. When I asked about it it was the same old song, "our programmers have increased fees."

When I moved to my current home we were screwed out of a couple of months of charges. Maybe it's me but years ago the way they posted this and that, you really couldn't understand the continuum of charges, at least this dumbie couldn't. "We charge 30 days in the arrears for this, 30 days advance for that......."

Um, no, I am repeating what has been stated affirmatively in various news articles about the whole debacle with Fox News. We can repeat those here again if you want. I am not talking about statements from Charlie Ergen either. I am talking about news articles from credible news organizations.

First Dish has NOT lost 90,000 customers. We'll see fairly soon after 4th quarter subscriber numbers are released, we'll have to wait a bit for 1st quarter 2015 numbers. But Mr. Tim Carry of Fox has already claimed Dish has lost 90,000 customers through 12-31-2014, so we'll see that result soon. Wanna bet on it? Mr. Carry's analysis? He set up a website with alternate providers web sites and then extrapolated that because the "dwell time" on that web page was "four or five minutes" that people cancelled. Because someone has an open browser for four or five minutes is somehow akin to cancelling is preposterous. Seriously, you really believe that? I have 11 open windows on my browser right now, some from yesterday.....and somehow that means I am terminating Dish?! Haha. You really are naive.

Mark my word......

Mark, let's put your money where your mouth is.....seriously. Mr. Tim Carry of Fox has claimed Dish has lost 90k customers between shut off and 12-31-2014. That is preposterous!! Haha

Of those saying they got an email showing a credit, have you looked at your account online to see if it's been posted, to validate?

Subscriber acquisition cost can be found in Dish's quarterly filings with the SEC, no insider knowledge needed. It's not relevant to the point I'm going to make, so I'm not going to bother looking it up.

I think that you know what the acquisition cost is but won't reveal it because it might make Dish and Charlie look bad. There are a lot of Dish employees lurking here, I have found.

Last edited:
Add me to the list. Commented on the website I think on Monday, got an email yesterday. Still works! Awesome forum!

Left my feedback. Fox is fighting an unfair fight and I'm glad Dish isn't taking a dive. This contract is about two channels and Fox is trying to make it about other channels they used to dilute their product. It isn't fair to FNC viewers, it isn't fair to Dish viewers.

I think that you know what the acquisition cost is but won't reveal it because it might make Dish and Charlie look bad. There are a lot of Dish employees lurking here, I have found.
Seriously? I told you where the information could be found and you accuse me of being a Dish employee because disclosing already public information might somehow make Dish look back? Do you realize how illogical your assertion is?

I didn't list the price because it was irrelevant to the point I was making in my post and I didn't want to take the time last night to look it up for you.

Let me state this clearly: I am not a Dish employee nor do I have any insider knowledge about Dish's financials, subscriber numbers, or negotiations.

OK, so we have nothing but slanderous comments from Ergen so far, negociations have stopped (duh), Dish customers are being thrown a (credit) bone and a sucker bet "3 Valuable Gifts" package by Dish as customers drop off like flies and move on to other providers.

This is just the beginning. Due to an inherent latency phase, it will be weeks if not months before Dish sees the full impact of this debacle.

I report, you decide
I decided it was BS.

I didn't list the price because it was irrelevant to the point I was making in my post and I didn't want to take the time last night to look it up for you.

Here it is: each subscriber cancellation costs Dish $861. That is a lot of money any way you slice it. 90,000 times $861 = ??

Pay?TV Subscriber Acquisition Cost (Pay?TV SAC) was $861
during 3Q14 compared to $842 during 3Q13, an increase
of $19 or 2.3%. This change was primarily attributable to
an increase in advertising costs, partially offset by a
decrease in hardware costs per activation. The increase in
advertising costs resulted from additional brand
advertising to increase awareness of our college football
programming.

There are a number of Dish employees who identify themselves as such. Even they aren't always in lock step with their employer's actions and policies.

And, as would be expected, there are Dish employees who monitor (lurk, in web parlance) the forums, no doubt to gauge customer opinion. It's an excellent research tool for them.

I'm as critical of Dish as the next guy. But, I am objective about it, unlike the Dish Defense League members here, who are emotionally attached to their TV carrier, or the Dish Haters, whose mothers obviously beat them with Dish receivers when they were kids. (which also now include the rabid FNC viewers who view this contract dispute as some sort of politically motivated attack.)

Here it is: each subscriber cancellation costs Dish $861. That is a lot of money any way you slice it. 90,000 times $861 = ??
That's acquisition cost, not cancellation cost. Dish makes some or all of that back, plus a profit on each sub, depending on how long they were subscribers.
Also, that 90,000 number comes from Fox press releases, doesn't it?
So, it isn't 90,000 x $861, "any way you slice it", except perhaps by a very dull knife.

Reactions: fbara and Yespage
That's acquisition cost, not cancellation cost. Dish makes some or all of that back, plus a profit on each sub, depending on how long they were subscribers.
Also, that 90,000 number comes from Fox press releases, doesn't it?
So, it isn't 90,000 x $861, "any way you slice it", except perhaps by a very dull knife.
Yep, true post.

The potential loss is around the net profit per month that Dish makes on their customers. I think I read the average is less than $10. So the loss is around $120/year/sub lost. A far cry from the acquisition cost.

Reactions: Yespage
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)