Ronnie-

Member of the Year
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Aug 28, 2007
mississippi
DISHWorld Launches on Roku | The Official Roku Blog

At Roku we believe that the majority of TV programming will be delivered on-demand, over the Internet within the next four years. Today we’re a step closer to making that a reality. We’ve partnered with DISH to bring the DISHWorld service with more than 50 international channels to the Roku platform in the U.S. – including the leading Hindi, Arabic, Urdu, Bangla and Brazilian channels.
The DISHWorld service offers a variety of live foreign language programming including sports, movies, news, children’s programs, music, cooking shows, talk shows and general entertainment. At launch programming includes:

Props to DISH for this. Being the main (or only) supplier of these channels on ROKU is big. It will reach alot of people who do not get satellite otherwise, or for whatever reason can not get the 118 satellite.

I saw it and played with at Team Summit, but did not report on it because it didn't work due to so many people using the same internet connection.

So does that mean dish told NeuLion to goto hell?

How wonderful that everyone assumes that everyone has sufficient internet bandwidth to support a watchable TV service. I think they need to be giving me some of their money to upgrade mine. Or why not just leave broadcasting on the airwaves where it belongs?

You're missing the bigger picture. This to me this is different than the claims of people soon watching all their TV on the internet. Won't go into all that again. In this case, there are many people who want that programming, often people here from another Country and will live in City areas, near others they can talk to about their Country and interests. Those areas do have high speed internet. Rural areas aren't left out altogether either, many places have high speed internet now. And it's not programming you can get from any provider for the most part except Dish. If having satellite is a hassle where you are, or not possible, this will work. The picture on the ROKU at my house is first rate, excellent.

Scott, Did you see one of the comments in that article:
The current DishWorld service has been mired with problems due to IPTV set-top boxes that have had a myriad of issues from spontaneously rebooting, incorrect guide info, inconsistent video quality, etc. Hopefully, this Roku effort is a step in the right direction for not just international content but for US providers/networks that would be willing to renegotiate licensing rights for IPTV services.
That's probably why Dish is going with Roku.
So does that mean dish told NeuLion to goto hell?
Still could be using them as a backend provider... they still list Dish as one of their customers.

How wonderful that everyone assumes that everyone has sufficient internet bandwidth to support a watchable TV service. I think they need to be giving me some of their money to upgrade mine. Or why not just leave broadcasting on the airwaves where it belongs?

Just like people assume everyone could put in a satellite dish. In many places line of site is not possible for satellite. Having choices of satellite or internet just expands the number of possible subscribers.

I think Dish's intentions for the long run are to not providing Internationals using an a quarter billion dollar satellite and associated costs. I think 118 will be the last sat for internationals at Dish. Internationals available via IPTV for some time, but it is good that Dish realizes that a lot of folks now do have Roku or similar devices. It wouldn't surprise me if Dish now believes that in the long run, they could tell NeuLion to go "somewhere" else, but it means Dish's costs could be reduced significantly for providing Internationals. What could be easier than telling people they can use the Roku they currently have or to go get a Roku and subscribe. No STB costs to Dish, just some of the Roku costs, but it's gotta be cheaper than building, insuring for launch only, launching, then operating a satellite just for internationals, oh, and not having to procure sat slots Dish/Echostar don't own for additional bandwidth, such as is the case to day, even for DirecTV. PQ quality may not be that great, but most of the Internationals aren't even fair quality to begin with, not Dish's fault, more the channel for using really bad telecine for films and lower standards for video that even the highest bandwidth could never improve.

PQ quality may not be that great, but most of the Internationals aren't even fair quality to begin with, not Dish's fault, more the channel for using really bad telecine for films and lower standards for video that even the highest bandwidth could never improve.

Dish is backward in the picture quality for internationals. Most of the Southasian pack have been broadcasting in HD in the UK and so on for the past few years. A Few already have plans to start with HD in the Americas in the last quarter of this year.

Really? You're joking, right?

Just like people assume everyone could put in a satellite dish. In many places line of site is not possible for satellite. Having choices of satellite or internet just expands the number of possible subscribers.
Exactly. This service is for people with the bandwidth to support it, just like DBS is for people with LOS and a place to install the dish.

Dish is backward in the picture quality for internationals. Most of the Southasian pack have been broadcasting in HD in the UK and so on for the past few years. A Few already have plans to start with HD in the Americas in the last quarter of this year.
Agreed! TV Japan is even available in the US in HD on some cable systems.

Hmmm. No Asian channels. (Indians are not Asian, despite marketing to the contrary.)
Yeah... they are illegal immigrants from Antarctica. They were so desperate to become part of Asia to gain jobs (and escape the cold), they disconnected their subcontinent and rammed it into Asia.

Can you imagine how many subs Dish would pick up if they made their regular packages av liable on Roku? All those people who live in apartments and can't install a Dish. Or those who travel and can't stand the offerings of hotels?