Disney: Blu-ray Needs Lower Player Prices

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
News Disney: Blu-ray Needs Lower Player Prices
The company executives say $300 players are coming soon.
By Swanni

Washington, D.C. (May 7, 2008) -- Disney's top executives yesterday said that Blu-ray high-def disc player sales will begin to rise when prices start to fall.

In an investors call yesterday following the company's first quarter report, Disney CEO Robert Iger said the penetration of Blu-ray players is still "relatively modest." (Industry reports indicate that fewer than 10 million U.S. homes now have Blu-ray players, even when you include the Play Station 3, which has a Blu-ray player inside.)

But Iger added that the company sees Blu-ray "growing nicely, particularly as the cost of the players comes down."

The lowest-priced Blu-ray player is now $399, but Iger said "you'll be seeing a lot more $300 (players) and less inventory in terms of player costs of the shelves."

ger hinted that Blu-ray disc prices, which now are $5-10 more than standard-def DVDs, could come down as more people buy players.

"The cost of the Blu-Ray DVD in the market or on the shelf to the consumer is running a few dollars higher (than standard-def DVDs) and that obviously bodes well for us, although as it penetrates the market, we’ll see whether the pricing comes down," he said.

Disney: Blu-ray Needs Lower Player Prices

This coming from a studio that sells some of the highest price BD's around. While I don't disagree with their point on the players, I just wish they would be a bit more competitive themselves on the media prices.

This coming from a studio that sells some of the highest price BD's around. While I don't disagree with their point on the players, I just wish they would be a bit more competitive themselves on the media prices.

? Most Disney BDs are 18.95 to 23.95 on Amazon. I bought Enchanted for 18.95 on preorder. Fox (and now Paramount) are by far the highest priced at 27.95 for new releases or catalogs.

S~

Honestly, Disney had the opportunity to release high definition movies on a widely adopted format with cheaper players as well as release interactive extras via an interface they co-developed. However, they chose not to due to lack of region coding? (maybe) and 20GB extra space (still doubtful--just meant they wouldn't be able to put 5 five forced trailers before the movie). I am well aware that the war is over. However, Disney, Lionsgate, Fox and definitely not Warner have no business complaining about player prices.

Universal, Weinstein and (*cough* maybe) Paramount can talk.

I don't think Disney sent the message to Pioneer, they just streeted a pair of BD players for $800 and $600 each!!!

? Most Disney BDs are 18.95 to 23.95 on Amazon. I bought Enchanted for 18.95 on preorder. Fox (and now Paramount) are by far the highest priced at 27.95 for new releases or catalogs.

S~

On older titles sure, but new releases they are not. I pre-ordered Enchanted on BD too, but paid $23.95, which is still the price listed right now on Amazon. The DVD is listed at $14.95. I Am Legend is listed at $18.95 and $15.95 for the DVD

Seeing as Disney is the best example as to how companies can turn profit (this year exceeded expectations and yielded a huge profit for home entertainment and media) I hope that the other companies listen to them.

HEY DISNEY -- HOW ABOUT LOWER BD MOVIE PRICES? Sorry, my keyboard got stuck on caps!:D

On another note, while Disney was playing footsies with HD-DVD - Buena Vista - who does all distribution of Disney films has for the most part been with BD from the begining when they started signing up studios. Maybe Disney did not have a say-so in the final support of one format over the other. And I am not saying that money was not involved here -- but no dollar tracks have shown up yet and there is no reason to keep the tracks hidden now that HD-DVD is gone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)