Disney-Charter battle highlights bundling demise?

I am still surprised how many do not know about the services

I don't think it's that they don't know. They don't like the interface. There is still a significant portion of the population, age 65+ that just wants cable TV with a "clicker" and a DVR. Yes, I'm sure there are notable exceptions, but we shouldn't count this demographic out. They have disposable income- lots of it- to spend.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
I don't think it's that they don't know. They don't like the interface. There is still a significant portion of the population, age 65+ that just wants cable TV with a "clicker" and a DVR. Yes, I'm sure there are notable exceptions, but we shouldn't count this demographic out. They have disposable income- lots of it- to spend.
Yeah. My mom (83) is having a wonderful time trying to figure out Hulu+Live so she can watch college football. I might actually go visit her, just so I can write her some documentation on how to use it. I haven't really found anything good on YouTube or the Internet in general which actually tells people how to do simple tasks on the service.

For some of the older or set in their ways crowd, Directv Stream, IF they go streaming, might be the easiest to adapt to.

The way its set up, its about the last option id recommend, but its the most cable like of the bunch, especially with their box.

Never had Spectrum. Last cable provider was Time Warner. Then we bounced back and forth between DTV & DISH for many years. Finally cancelled DISH just last month and ended up going with YTTV. had experimented with it a few times since my daughter has it also. Since we are a couple of those old folks we wanted something easy to learn and provide everything we wanted. Was going Togo with Philo until i realized my old Tablo couldn’t stream our recordings/local out of our home network. At that point that only left us 4 choices and two of those, Fubo and DTVS didn’t have the specific channels we wanted. That left Hulu + live and YTTV. Signed up one morning for the Hulu one morning (no free previews) and within about an hour of searching I still couldn’t figure out how to find the channel guide. I never did! I called them back immediately and they were kind enough to cancel and return our $70+. At that point we went with YTTV and are happy. Like many older folks the lack of channel numbers is a royal PIA but the ability to customize the channel guide helps. Then throw in the ability to push a couple of buttons and record every college football game for the season is awesome. We are hooked. You know, us older folks don’t stay up for those 8pm night games so we get us at dawn and watch football with breakfast! Breakfast of champions.

Reactions: ncted
Never had Spectrum. Last cable provider was Time Warner. Then we bounced back and forth between DTV & DISH for many years. Finally cancelled DISH just last month and ended up going with YTTV. had experimented with it a few times since my daughter has it also. Since we are a couple of those old folks we wanted something easy to learn and provide everything we wanted. Was going Togo with Philo until i realized my old Tablo couldn’t stream our recordings/local out of our home network. At that point that only left us 4 choices and two of those, Fubo and DTVS didn’t have the specific channels we wanted. That left Hulu + live and YTTV. Signed up one morning for the Hulu one morning (no free previews) and within about an hour of searching I still couldn’t figure out how to find the channel guide. I never did! I called them back immediately and they were kind enough to cancel and return our $70+. At that point we went with YTTV and are happy. Like many older folks the lack of channel numbers is a royal PIA but the ability to customize the channel guide helps. Then throw in the ability to push a couple of buttons and record every college football game for the season is awesome. We are hooked. You know, us older folks don’t stay up for those 8pm night games so we get us at dawn and watch football with breakfast! Breakfast of champions.

You're still WAY ahead of my parents when it comes to working with streaming :)

Reactions: lgb0250 and ncted
For a much more in depth view of the issue between Charter and ESPN and its potential impact beyond those two companies. And fair warning, it too ventures into the political, albeit from the other side.

ESPN Vs. Charter Could Be The End Of The Cable Bundle...And Sports As We Know It ⎮Clay Travis
I find it interesting that ESPN is carrying the flack here, when it was FOX that turned RSNs into must carries, taking it away from its originally a la carte status that almost all RSNs had had up to that point.

The issue with ESPN is less the fee increases themselves, it is the fee increases are needed because they bid up sporting rights so needlessly high! The trouble with sports in general, is that companies like Disney are bidding absurd amounts for them. It isn't sustainable. What good is having sporting rights if no one can afford to pay them to watch it.

The article isn't bad, but needlessly political. And it does forget the game change to cable/sat TV, and it wasn't Netflix. Everyone seems to forget something else came about around the same time that changed television viewing and the Cable/Sat model forever... the DVR.

Reactions: AZ.

I know some people will say the the old cable package model made things cheaper for everyone, and in a sense, that is kind of correct -- as long as you were a sports fan. My perspective is a little different. It made it somewhat less expensive to be a sports fan and more expensive for everyone else who subsidized the whole sport-industrial complex which extends beyond TV to stadium construction, etc. If the sports leagues, teams, cities with teams, and the TV rights owners had kept their costs under control, maybe the old model could have lasted longer, but that isn't what businesses flush with cash who's business is literally competing (on the field, for players, for championships, for viewers, for advertisers, etc.) do. Some of it is just greed, but a lot of it is to be bigger, better, and more successful than your adversary which is baked into the entire sports world.

I find it interesting that ESPN is carrying the flack here, when it was FOX that turned RSNs into must carries, taking it away from its originally a la carte status that almost all RSNs had had up to that point.

The issue with ESPN is less the fee increases themselves, it is the fee increases are needed because they bid up sporting rights so needlessly high! The trouble with sports in general, is that companies like Disney are bidding absurd amounts for them. It isn't sustainable. What good is having sporting rights if no one can afford to pay them to watch it.
Because they have let these companies get to damn big!.......Handful of corporations control 99% of all programming. Its a giant monopoly! And we all pay because of it.

Reactions: mwdxer1
Charter/ Spectrum should just supply internet. Their TV prices are high, but their internet is very good here, Stop debating channels, drop the carrier charges and let people pay for fast access at a good price and let them stream!
This is going to be the future. Cable/satellite as we know it will be gone. The only way to sub to channels will be directly and the viewer will pay the going rate. Already streaming services like Paramount+, Disney+, etc have been going up. Most do not have the money to keep shelling out the money they want. I went with the Plex pack with Dish where I do not get Disney to keep the price down.

Because they have let these companies get to damn big!.......Handful of corporations control 99% of all programming. Its a giant monopoly! And we all pay because of it.
But as a consumer we have the choice to sub or not. Many programmers like Disney are losing their shirt of late and that is why they are going with big hikes.

"The cable-TV bundle has been bleeding subscribers for the better part of a decade. Customers were turned off by the ever-growing cost of traditional television and were drawn to cheaper streaming options."

"The cable-TV bundle has been bleeding subscribers for the better part of a decade. Customers were turned off by the ever-growing cost of traditional television and were drawn to cheaper streaming options."

Paywall..

But as a consumer we have the choice to sub or not. Many programmers like Disney are losing their shirt of late and that is why they are going with big hikes.
If we had 50 companies buying for anything prices would be lower.....just look at the NFL deal....you had a few companies that could offer billions....now have 25 and they can all offer half as much....the consumer would win.....a handful of big players set the prices for all to follow.....we never allowed this till the 80s.....look at Comcast....Disney....there to big!....

The article isn't bad, but needlessly political.
Thus the warning I posted. I'm guessing you're not familiar with Clay Travis. Political is his schtick. And unfortunately the last publication I recall that wasn't political was My Weekly Reader.

Reactions: Yespage