Disney/Hulu News

$14 a month is too expensive. I got the 3 yr $140 deal when they first came on, but too expensive for me now.
I look at it this way with Hulu & Disney+ Commercial Free, I get all shows from ABC and Fox Broadcast, all Disney owned cable channels, the FXs, National Geographic, Freeform, Disney Channels, then the exclusive stuff from Hulu and Disney+.

Then if you care about Sports, ESPN+ has the majority of Monday Night Football Games, NHL, MLB and is putting even more content on in the transition to ESPN streaming.

Then Paramount+ with Showtime , all of CBS and Viacom Cable Channels content, $12 commercial free plus the exclusive stuff.

Lastly, Peacock, with NBC and Universal Cable Content plus the exclusive stuff at $10 a month commercial free.

So a total of $47 a month, all commercial free ( except for ESPN+).

Price out a cable/sat package with all that, include a DVR (commercials), it would be a lot more and you miss out on the exclusive stuff.

isn't most of that because they are bleeding subs in India after losing the cricket rights?
Yes.

Also in India, they pay, in us dollars, $3.79 a month.

I'll probably get the full bundle when we switch over to Fi from Wife's Verizon plan. We're still probably saving like $100 a month even having to pay for this now, lol.

Doing my quarterly trim of our services now, probably dropping at least Peacock and Paramount until the fall once Strange New Worlds is over.

Reactions: mackie99
Doing my quarterly trim of our services now, probably dropping at least Peacock and Paramount until the fall once Strange New Worlds is over.
That is only a month away.

I have no interest In Disney+. That's why I hate the fact that I can't get a bundle discount on just Hulu and ESPN+. Disney has been making such poor decisions lately and spend way too much in creating content. This is probably the main reason they are raising prices so much. As far as losing subs from India, they're probably coming out financially ahead by having them drop Disney+.

Been watching the business channels, they all say with the price increase, Disney+ will be profitable in 2024 as planned.

The majority of losses from the streaming side is from the removal of content, which was done for tax benefits , so they can write off the content.

Even since Warner/Discovery did the same, now all of them are doing it, for example, the merging of Paramount+ and Showtime, they claimed a reported loss of $1.8 Billion for shutting down the original Showtime Channel and Showtime Anytime, which will be used as a write off for taxes.

Thanks.

Let me know when Mickey hawks bets. Or Minnie.
IMG_0970.png

I have no interest In Disney+. That's why I hate the fact that I can't get a bundle discount on just Hulu and ESPN+.
Yeah, they *really* want folks to subscribe to Disney+, while they're not as concerned about you taking Hulu or ESPN+. The cost of ad-free Hulu will jump up to $18/mo, which seems a bit high for what it offers. But you can add ad-free Disney+ for just another $2/mo, so $20 for both. (Although I personally wouldn't likely get even $2/mo of value out of Disney+.) Meanwhile, the price for ad-free Disney+ by itself will jump to $14/mo. So it's not quite as tempting for those folks to get Hulu too since that would cost another $6.

Given everything Iger is saying lately, who knows how things will ultimately shake out at Disney. He's talking about selling off their linear broadcast and cable nets but also notes that they have to be careful what they do there because those channels are content pipelines for Hulu. And of course Disney will be on the hook to buy Comcast's remaining 1/3 stake in Hulu for several billion bucks next year.

At this point, it wouldn't surprise me if Disney tried to sell Hulu along with their linear networks and maybe even some or all of 20th Century Studios too, leaving them to focus on their core Disney studio, Disney+, and Disney Parks. The only logical buyer is probably Comcast/Universal, although they'd have to sell off ABC since they couldn't own it plus NBC. But if Comcast is looking to scale up their media assets, would it be better to combine Universal/Peacock with 20th/Hulu or instead with WB/Max?

Been watching the business channels, they all say with the price increase, Disney+ will be profitable in 2024 as planned.

The majority of losses from the streaming side is from the removal of content, which was done for tax benefits , so they can write off the content.

Even since Warner/Discovery did the same, now all of them are doing it, for example, the merging of Paramount+ and Showtime, they claimed a reported loss of $1.8 Billion for shutting down the original Showtime Channel and Showtime Anytime, which will be used as a write off for taxes.
And I was correct-

Disney disclosed on Wednesday that it took a $2.4 billion charge to account for “content impairments” aka the removal of content from its direct-to-consumer businesses, which include Disney+ and Hulu. It’s a big reason why Disney lost money in the fiscal third quarter

And they will use that for tax benefits , I can see a lot more doing the same in the future.

Wow

Disney+ lost 11 million subs worldwide last quarter

Disney+ lost roughly 11.7 million subscribers worldwide in the three months that ended July 1, for a new total of 146.1 million.
Hello, DISNEY needs to look at what they are doing and why are the cutting out shows people might watch, all "to save money" as the CEO said. You might save money but you are losing subs as well and especially if you keep hiking the price to watch it. This is like circling the drain or penny wise, pound foolish. I am about to drop DISNEY if they hike the price. I don't watch it that much anyway , but my son does. He can get his own subscription if he wants it. :smug

Hello, DISNEY needs to look at what they are doing and why are the cutting out shows people might watch, all "to save money" as the CEO said. You might save money but you are losing subs as well and especially if you keep hiking the price to watch it. This is like circling the drain or penny wise, pound foolish. I am about to drop DISNEY if they hike the price. I don't watch it that much anyway , but my son does. He can get his own subscription if he wants it. :smug
They are still going to have the Marvel/Star Wars shows, which is what the people watch, they are just cutting back on those other Disney themed shows.