Disney/Hulu News

In my Accounting classes, they said here’s how it’s done. Except for Hollywood, which has its own rules…..

FYI: to switch to the new Duo Bundle Premium, I had to cancel my Hulu account and then sign up through Disney+. I very helpful chat agent helped me with this, so I didn't lose any of my profiles, watch lists, etc. The Duo Bundle is only available via Disney+ at the moment.

Hulu Live TV has a deal now with $20 off per month for 3 months so the price is $49.99/month. I did this last year when I ditched DISH and it's a pretty solid value for what you get. Live locals, sports, Disney+. Hulu, ESPN+, DVR service.

It will get me through the first 3 months of NHL and the first month of NLL. For my situation and needs, it's a good offering. I'll carry it through June and then go cold turkey for next Summer until the Fall.

Hulu just sent an email that my Hulu service will jump to $17.65 next month. Sent them a message by cancelling the service. Still have Disney+ for the Marvel and Starwars. No interest in ESPN or DVR service

Hulu just sent an email that my Hulu service will jump to $17.65 next month. Sent them a message by cancelling the service. Still have Disney+ for the Marvel and Starwars. No interest in ESPN or DVR service
It is only $20 bundle price for Hulu and Disney+ commercial free.

Reactions: ncted
Using the Coca-Cola analogy, it feels like Coca-Cola watering their soda down by using half the syrup... charging customers the same amount, and then writing off a loss due to their watering down of their product.
Funny, that’s exactly how I like to drink it. (Same fizz, half the sugar)

I paid Disney+ for a year $109.99 . I think it renews in November so I will revisit what's offered at that time. For now there is nothing I see in the lineup on Hulu that interests me.
I like it because all the shows from Fox, FX are in 4K on Hulu, for example the new season of Justified was 720P on FX, 4K on Hulu.

I paid Disney+ for a year $109.99 . I think it renews in November so I will revisit what's offered at that time. For now there is nothing I see in the lineup on Hulu that interests me.
I was wrong on what I paid last year for Disney+ Hulu. It was $79.99 through Apple itunes billing. Paid with Apple card for 3% cash back.

I just got a notice the same commercial free subscription will be billed at $109.99. A $30 increase which is 37.5% increase. Considering I only watch new StarWars and Marvel content, It was just too much of a greedy jump so time to send a message. I cancelled! If Disney releases something new for those themes I may pick it up for a month and then cancel again.

I have several other providers offering tons of compelling movies that I go to every day that I will pay for reasonable rate increases but Disney has cancelled or delayed new StarWars content and now raising prices to obscene % increase. So time to send a message.

I was wrong on what I paid last year for Disney+ Hulu. It was $79.99 through Apple itunes billing. Paid with Apple card for 3% cash back.

I just got a notice the same commercial free subscription will be billed at $109.99. A $30 increase which is 37.5% increase. Considering I only watch new StarWars and Marvel content,
Loki ( Marvel) is on now,
more Marvel Series set for 2024-
Echo set for January, 2
Agatha: Darkhold Diaries-WandaVision spin off
Ironheart-Black Panther /Iron Man spin off
plus two movies after theaters
The Marvels ( Captain Marvel 2 with Ms Marvel from the TV Series)
Captain America 4
All of them already filmed and ready to go

Star Wars-
Bad Barch Season 3
Skeleton Crew ( set in the Mando timeframe)
The Acolyte (100 years before the Phantom Menace)
All of them ready filmed and ready to go.
It was just too much of a greedy jump so time to send a message. I cancelled! If Disney releases something new for those themes I may pick it up for a month and then cancel again.
Based on the above, plenty on in just Marvel/Star Wars, then a lot more Disney stuff
I have several other providers offering tons of compelling movies that I go to every day that I will pay for reasonable rate increases
It is the same price as Paramount+ w Showtime ( worth it), $20 more then Peacock ( not worth it), $100 less then Netflix ( worth it) and $70 for MAX ( not worth it).

I look at it this way, with Hulu/Disney/ESPN+, Paramount+ with Showtime, Peacock and HBOMAX, I get the majority of what is on Linear TV, all the exclusive streaming content, at their highest tier, all for under $70 a month, add Netflix in, basically $90 a month.

The average Cable/Satellite Bill, with no HBO, Showtime, Netflix and no streaming content, is at $140 a month, not worth it, specially with less and less new content.

Also, think of it this way, Comcast, Charter and DirecTV all had 2 price increases each this year, we all know what their monthly bills are like
but Disney has cancelled or delayed new StarWars content and now raising prices to obscene % increase. So time to send a message.
Not cancelled, but yes delayed, cannot be helped, since it was because of the strikes, writers/actors not working, actors are still not.

Look at how bad it is for Broadcast/Cable Channels, no TV Season this year, just airing stuff that was already filmed but never aired (since the Networks did not find it that good), Reality Shows and Game Shows.

Last edited:

I just got a notice the same commercial free subscription will be billed at $109.99. A $30 increase which is 37.5% increase. Considering I only watch new StarWars and Marvel content, It was just too much of a greedy jump so time to send a message. I cancelled! If Disney releases something new for those themes I may pick it up for a month and then cancel again.

I have several other providers offering tons of compelling movies that I go to every day that I will pay for reasonable rate increases but Disney has cancelled or delayed new StarWars content and now raising prices to obscene % increase. So time to send a message.
Wait until you find out it's actually now $139.99 a year.

Bruce- I've seen all I care to see on Disney+. Hulu is good too but I can do without as there are just as compelling content on Amazon, Netflix, and Showtime with Paramount+ Also have Apple TV+ and HBOMax. I also cancelled Starz some time ago as I discovered I never watched it.
No interest in ESPN.

Star Wars-
Bad Batch Season 3
Skeleton Crew ( set in the Mando timeframe)
The Acolyte (100 years before the Phantom Menace)
All of them ready filmed and ready to go.
If so, then what are they waiting for? Put them all up and I'll resubscribe and binge watch them.

It's not about the money as I can afford the price but it's time for people to send a message that a 37% price increase is obscene greed.

I figure they will either offer a deal to bring me and others back, or dump Disney+ and sell the content to Netflix or other.

Wait until you find out it's actually now $139.99 a year.
I think his billing cycles have not caught up, since it was $109 last year, $139 as of November this year, depends on when he subscribe.

Reactions: mackie99
It is not "greed" at all. It is trying to make a failed business model work. DIsney streaming does NOT make money. That simple. The number of people who want what it has to sell is LESS than the costs of making it. Simple.

Since everyone who wants what they have to sell, has bought it, there is only one solution. Raise prices.

Well, that, or admit their mistake and shut it down.

• Haha
Reactions: meStevo
I think his billing cycles have not caught up, since it was $109 last year, $139 as of November this year, depends on when he subscribe.
Not sure about the $139 but I confirmed I paid $79.99 and they sent an email advising of my renewal is November 19 for $109.99. At $139 I won't do a year and that's for sure. That's more than I pay for my Comcast Business unlimited high speed internet account.

There was some confusion about commercials too. I don't see any commercials now.

Bruce- I've seen all I care to see on Disney+. Hulu is good too but I can do without
I like Hulu, it is only $20 a month with Disney+ ( no ESPN) commercial free, Hulu has a lot of 4K content also
If so, then what are they waiting for?
They only show 3 Star Wars shows a year, same for Marvel, shows are expensive to make, $20 Million per episode.
Put them all up and I'll resubscribe and binge watch them.
I do that with AMC+.
It's not about the money as I can afford the price but it's time for people to send a message that a 37% price increase is obscene greed.
Not that high, I believe your billing cycles have not caught up with the increase, it was 109.99 last year, closer to 27%.
I figure they will either offer a deal to bring me and others back, or dump Disney+ and sell the content to Netflix or other.
Disney+ is not going anywhere, people have forgotten how long it takes to make a profit in the entertainment world, DirecTV took 6 years, Dish 9 years, if they do go profitable in Sept 2024 as planned, it will be a tad less then 5 years.

Other examples, Netflix-6 years, Amazon 9 years, look at them now.

It is not "greed" at all. It is trying to make a failed business model work. DIsney streaming does NOT make money. That simple. The number of people who want what it has to sell is LESS than the costs of making it. Simple.

Since everyone who wants what they have to sell, has bought it, there is only one solution. Raise prices.

Well, that, or admit their mistake and shut it down.
Yep! I haven't followed the Disney earnings calls since I dumped all my Disney stock in the $190's. I had heard some scuttle like you posted but I agree if Disney can't make Streaming work then shut it down and sell the content to other companies that can make Streaming work, like Netflix.

Like I said before, Streaming works, but Disney just has too little content to be a high priced service. I guess some people love to watch the same movie over and over again.

Reactions: SamCdbs
Disney+ is not going anywhere, people have forgotten how long it takes to make a profit in the entertainment world,
Go tell that to Iger as he shut down the Halcyon after a little over a year. It was so popular at even the high price per day that I couldn't get a reservation for a second trip, sold out up until the day they closed it.

Disney has lost it's way.

Go tell that to Iger as he shut down the Halcyon after a little over a year. It was so popular at even the high price per day that I couldn't get a reservation for a second trip, sold out up until the day they closed it.

Disney has lost it's way.
I work for Disney, have since February, it was not profitable, the cost to run it was a lot more then what they were generating in money from guests.

Also, the number of guests staying there, was basically half then when it first started.

And Disney as a whole, is profitable, by billions, right now in this post covid time, worldwide, everyone is having issues, Disney biggest loss is not just getting streaming to be profitable.

In the last 6 years, they have lost about 30 million subscribers in per sub fees because of cord cutting, for example, ESPN 1 & 2 gets $11 in per sub fees a month.

So, just in 2021, 4.7 million left paid Live TV, that means $620 Million lost in a year.
in 2022, 5.9 Million left, so $778 Million lost in a year
In 2023, estimated 7 Million will leave, $924 Million lost in a year.

So, if the 30 million did not leave paid Live TV, ESPN profits just this year, would be $3.9 Billion more.

Now imagine that for all their TV channels, ABC, the 3 Disney Channels, Nat Geographic, Freeform, the 3 FX Channels, etc

All of them no longer get per sub fees from, at least, 30 Million Subscribers and it gets worse every year.

Reactions: osu1991