Disney Junior

Gumball Watterson

Original poster
Aug 12, 2012
Galloway, NJ
Lately I've been hearing requests at Facebook for this new channel called Disney Junior:

I, myself, want the channel of course. I've been contacting Dish for weeks about this channel and got nothing. I really wanna see shows like The Jungle Cubs and Stanley.

Disney Junior is a 24/7 preschool channel that "blends Disney's unparalleled storytelling and characters kids love deeply with learning, including early math, language skills, healthy eating and lifestyles, and social skills". It airs shows like Doc McStuffins and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse among others.

So what do you guys think? Is DJ a perfect addition to the Dish lineup? After all, Dish could really use some more preschool channels besides Nick Jr. and BabyFirstTV.

BTW, this is my first post. So glad to be here! :)

Not sure a Disney channel would be added with dish at this time. Welcome to the site.

No,No,No, No :cool:

Dish and Disney are involved in ongoing litigation, so nothing is coming from Disney until that is settled.

No we don't need another niche channel.

NOT a niche channel, there ALOT more kids out there watching TV that would watch Disney Junior, than people that would watch an RSN.

It's a great suggestion GUmball. Welcome to the site!

:welcome

Last edited:
I stand by my comment. It is a niche channel.

Go check out that amazing schedule for DJr that repeats the same shows over and over. In this day and age of dvr's and online streaming, Disney could easily program all their shows in 1 or 2 channels. But no just like Viacom with Nick we have to pay for 6 or more different channels of repeats, because they can't fill out their schedule without repeating everything 4 times a day.

I don't remember mentioning anything about RSN's, although a lot of those need to go too.

My stance and steadfast conclusion is there are too many worthless channels of repeats out there and it needs to end. Agree or Disagree that is everyone's right, but go look at the schedules of most of the channels out there and you will see it in black and white.

Thanks! It's a honor to be here. And Disney Junior isn't niche, Dish really needs another preschool-type channel besides Nick Jr. and BabyFirstTV (well, it's a baby channel actually). NickMom comes this fall and the kiddies won't watch anything after 9PM. So...
Whether or not it's a niche channel - and, the pre-school demo is a huge niche, if so - Dish customers won't be seeing any additional Disney channels until Dish and Disney put an end to an ongoing and lengthy dispute.

In fact, when the current contract expires, I expect quite a big carriage dispute, with Disney going bye bye for a while, and a resulting poopstorm from subscribers. But, unlike the recent AMC dispute, Dish can not let Disney go.

Welcome to Satelliteguys!! :welcome

My daughter watches Disney Jr. programming in the morning when it's on Disney's main channel. She LOVES Disney Jr. I do wish that DISH would add this channel. Both Directv and Suddenlink have this channel added. Alas it sounds like this will be treated the same as my locals in HD which aren't offered by DISH but are offered by Directv and Suddenlink. At least with that we had the option to "move" to get locals in HD.

I do wish Disney made their programming more available with streaming as we would gladly do that in this case.

gpollock87 said:
even though it wouldn't be watched in my house i'll support it gumball. but, like others have said with dish and disney going at it we won't see any new disney channels for awhile.

Now If it was Fearnet jr :) :)

don't know. noggin used to be great, Nick JR not so much. these days, we rely on Netflix for the younguns.

It'd be nice if Congress would pass some regulations that made these disputes irrelevant to the viewer. Cable/Sat companies and content providers should be required to follow some sort of access rules instead of having these ridiculously drawn out court contests that do nothing but enrich lawyers. Disney isn't winning, Dish isn't winning, the customers certainly aren't winning with these spats. A separate arbitration court is probably needed for these specialized cases.
Now If it was Fearnet jr :) :)
Ack... it'd be nothing but Goosebumps 24/7! :D

Whether or not it's a niche channel - and, the pre-school demo is a huge niche, if so - Dish customers won't be seeing any additional Disney channels until Dish and Disney put an end to an ongoing and lengthy dispute.

In fact, when the current contract expires, I expect quite a big carriage dispute, with Disney going bye bye for a while, and a resulting poopstorm from subscribers. But, unlike the recent AMC dispute, Dish can not let Disney go.
Well Dish could... but it'd be messy, very messy.

If Disney were ever dropped from DISH my wife would be demanding we switch to Directv.

...along with millions of other subscribers, which is why Dish couldn't afford to drop them.

I think something will happen. I think Dish will push to put most if not all of the ESPN's in the Sports Pack. I am interested to see what the take rate is for Google Fiber in KC since they don't have agreements for the ABC/ESPN/Disney channels. It could be a good sampling for Dish, if Google gets a lot of people happy with the pricing and TV offerings without those channels available.

I think something will happen. I think Dish will push to put most if not all of the ESPN's in the Sports Pack. I am interested to see what the take rate is for Google Fiber in KC since they don't have agreements for the ABC/ESPN/Disney channels. It could be a good sampling for Dish, if Google gets a lot of people happy with the pricing and TV offerings without those channels available.
The big difference is Google can absorb the expense/loss. They often do on these experimental projects of theirs. They have a pretty low success rate with new rollouts. They have zero fear of failure. They rely on their successes to cover the expenses of their failures.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts