Disney Plus +

Just subscribed at the discounted 3 year price of $140.97, comes out to basically $3.92 a month, the other plus is I do not have to worry about a price increase for those 3 years.

Better be worth it

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

I subscribed too but have no device to play it on. No Fire TV and No LG WebOS as not supported. Hate to buy more soon to be junk boxes.

Reactions: jimgoe
The only things an ATV solves is access to iTunes and how to keep your wallet/purse from getting bloated with excess cash. Roku beats ATV almost everywhere else.

IYO of course. I don’t care for Roku though I could use it if I had to. I prefer AppleTV and believe it costs more because it is worth it.

BTW, iTunes is something I haven’t actually used in many years. Just isn’t required.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Bobby
I prefer AppleTV and believe it costs more because it is worth it.
The Apple TV is recommended uniquely by those who review streamers as the best option if you are actively attached to the Apple teat. Otherwise, it typically doesn't compare on features, price, compatibility and ease-of-use (the metrics that most value highest).

While you're not using iTunes explicitly, isn't the ATV an alternative interface to iTunes?

The Apple TV is recommended uniquely by those who review streamers as the best option if you are actively attached to the Apple teat. Otherwise, it typically doesn't compare on features, price, compatibility and ease-of-use (the metrics that most value highest).

While you're not using iTunes explicitly, isn't the ATV an alternative interface to iTunes?
I read the reviews and such a lot myself. Oft times I find them more interested in the clicks that reality. I don’t agree that Roku is superior though I have no issue with those that do. It works, it is well supported by the company and the streaming community.s. I just don’t care for it and it doesn’t bring anything to the table that I can’t do just fine on the ATV.

And no, ATV isn’t an alternate interface to iTunes unless you want it to be. Of course iTunes itself is soon to be gone and replaced by I think, 3 apps. Haven’t looked into that much yet.

I use the TV app on the ATV for most of my video streaming as it is a pretty smooth interface to either play directly from the app, or call the appropriate app if it can’t. Netflix is noticeably missing from that support, hopefully they’ll get onboard soon.

Reactions: Bobby
I have an ATV, A Roku, and a Firestick, all 4K. My use is as follows: ATV, Firestick, Roku. The Roku is my last choice. It doesn't support Dolby Vision, just HDR 10 and HLG or Atmos from Netflix. Firestick is my second choice, it supports a lot of Hulu in 5.1. With the exception of Hulu 5.1 my ATV supports Dolby Vision and Atmos as well as HDR10. It's my go to device...

I’ve got 3 ATVs and a Fire Cube as well as an Xbox One. My go to is the ATV because of the interface. Fire TV has the 2nd worst UI to Netflix IMO. It works well just a sucky UI.
I thought Hulu was doing 5.1 on ATVs now. I don’t use it often as I got it primarily for when I miss some show, their originals are not so good, or at least not so good to me.

I thought Hulu was doing 5.1 on ATVs now. I don’t use it often as I got it primarily for when I miss some show, their originals are not so good, or at least not so good to me.

I do not know about 5.1 but Hulu originals like the Handmaid’s Tale are in 4K using ATV.

It doesn't support Dolby Vision, just HDR 10 and HLG or Atmos from Netflix.
I expect that HDR10, HDR10+ and DolbyVision will all be replaced by HLG within a few short years.

I'm not a fan of what I've heard to be a maybe it does, maybe it doesn't when it comes to support for any of the "enhanced" formats. I realize that I'm going to have to get used to it as discs seem likely to be gone too soon.

Have we not arrived at the conclusion that Hulu is not long for the World?

Somewhat depends on your definition of ‘not long’! :)

All the services that are streaming someone else’s content could be left out in the cold if those content providers can bring subscriptions of their own to the table at attractive prices.
I’d say that Disney, ATT and Comcast are somewhat in the catbird’s seat as they have plenty of content to draw on that they own.

Just subscribed at the discounted 3 year price of $140.97, comes out to basically $3.92 a month, the other plus is I do not have to worry about a price increase for those 3 years.

Better be worth it

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys
So did I. Plus I got an offer for ESPN Plus for $39.99 for a year. Combined, I am getting the two for $7.25 a month. Since I already have Hulu commercial-free ($11.99/month) and did not plan to drop to one with commercials (my wife would not allow it), this was probably the best deal for me to get all three.

My wife and I have been contemplating whether we plan to keep Netflix. We may drop it, but add it when Stranger Things or other shows we want to binge are back and only subscribe at those times.

They will definitely have ABC and Freeform shows. Most likely will have FX and FXX shows too. I also think they will continue to have Fox shows. Fox has not shown any indications of starting their own streaming service and Disney owns 20th Century Fox, so Fox doesn't have a studio to distribute their shows anyway.

Also Comcast still has 33% stake in Hulu. As long as they have that ownership, then NBC shows will most likely continue (at least in the current season). NBC Universal produced shows will likely go to their streaming service for past seasons.

Plus they will have Original Series.

Somewhat depends on your definition of ‘not long’! :)

All the services that are streaming someone else’s content could be left out in the cold if those content providers can bring subscriptions of their own to the table at attractive prices.
I’d say that Disney, ATT and Comcast are somewhat in the catbird’s seat as they have plenty of content to draw on that they own.

Disney and ATT (Warner) are the main ones with content right now. Comcast is probably third, but they are not close to the first two and I think that they are not going to have as much success as Disney+ and HBO Max. I still think Netflix and Hulu will be in the top 4 with Disney+ and HBO Max.

I expect that HDR10, HDR10+ and DolbyVision will all be replaced by HLG within a few short years.

I'm not a fan of what I've heard to be a maybe it does, maybe it doesn't when it comes to support for any of the "enhanced" formats. I realize that I'm going to have to get used to it as discs seem likely to be gone too soon.
I think not. HLG will be great for the OTA world where traditional HDR is impossible. The streaming and Bluray world will continue on just fine. I’ve seen nothing that states that HLG is superior to the present day HDRs.

Huh? Hulu is one of if not the fastest growing OTT platform, and with Disney having complete control now, no chance of internal disputes causing self-destruction.

Hulu adds 3.8 million subscribers in the US
In the first quarter of 2019, streaming platform Hulu added 3.8 million subscribers in the US, more than twice as many as Netflix’s (NFLX) 1.74 million. Hulu’s subscriber base has now increased to 28 million, up from ~25 million in January 2019. Its number of subscribers rose 48.0% from 17 million subscribers in 2017 to 25 million in 2018.
Source
Not to mention, regarding its tentpole original series, Hulu has already announced a new original series based on the as-yet unpublished sequel to The Handmaid's Tale. Magaret Atwood's The Testaments comes out next week, and Margaret Atwood will be on the cover of Time magazine.

That's an incredible amount of growth and buzz for a platform "not long for the world." Even if they lose NBC and Time Warner shows to new platforms, I don't think Disney would ever let Hulu fail, not when it also has a live TV service to sell.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)