Disney Plus +

Thanks for your checking this. I also get Black screen on most of the Disney+ movies too that advertise 4K HDR. However, I found one that does play normally and the Sony Projector I use displays HDR. I can't recall the movie name right now but it was about baseball. Anyway, that was also confirmed by those who get the black screen. The fix has always been to switch to 4K SDR ion the Apple TV except that one movie which works with 4K HDR. Talk about confusing.

I should mention that both Netflix and Amazon movies all play fine with 4K HDR setting.

Thanks for your checking this. I also get Black screen on most of the Disney+ movies too that advertise 4K HDR. However, I found one that does play normally and the Sony Projector I use displays HDR. I can't recall the movie name right now but it was about baseball. Anyway, that was also confirmed by those who get the black screen. The fix has always been to switch to 4K SDR ion the Apple TV except that one movie which works with 4K HDR. Talk about confusing.

I should mention that both Netflix and Amazon movies all play fine with 4K HDR setting.
Most of the movies are DollbyVision HDR. You've kind of proven the point that the app is not converting those to HDR10 if anything in your chain is not DV compatible when you say that you found an HDR10 movie that played. They are far and few in between. I had to go through a bunch of movies to find one that was HDR10 native.

Most of the movies are DollbyVision HDR. You've kind of proven the point that the app is not converting those to HDR10 if anything in your chain is not DV compatible when you say that you found an HDR10 movie that played. They are far and few in between. I had to go through a bunch of movies to find one that was HDR10 native.

I need to check again tonight but the black screen movies on Disney+ are listed as "HDR10" From what I found in more reading is that Disney+ only encodes their movies with SDR and Dolby Vision with no HDR10 ( I guess there is that one exception). So if my system does not support Dolby Vision, then I must use SDR to see it. Netflix and Amazon actually supports SDR, Dolby Vision and HDR10 so that is why it works on my system.

Strange that Disney only supports DV because I believe they have to pay royalty for that while HDR is open. Only the latest equipment supports Dolby Vision, more supports HDR.

Then we have AppleTV. If I use auto HDR setting in my Projector and ATV it should switch to SDR and show the movie when the main setting is 4K HDR. But it doesn't. It stays HDR and puts out a black screen. Other content off the ATV will make the switch between SDR and HDR depending on the content.

Strange that Disney only supports DV because I believe they have to pay royalty for that while HDR is open. Only the latest equipment supports Dolby Vision, more supports HDR.
I suggest that we collectively be much more careful about throwing TLAs (Three Letter Acronyms) around. HDR is represented by at least four technologies: HDR10, HDR10+, HLG and Dolby Vision. I don't see much mention of Technicolor's Advanced HDR (even in the LG models that support it) so I left it out.

While HDR10 is widely supported, it is perhaps a weak sister to the other formats that offer dynamic shading.

Disney has movies for the movie theater in DolbyVision and Dolby Atmos, like most recently The Rise of Skywalker. That tells me that they already have a license for that. So, maybe that license carries over to Disney+... I have had DolbyVision in my home theater since 2016. When I got my Vizio Dolby Vision was a must for me to buy it. It actually got upgraded to DolbyVision in early 2017 by a software update. I upgraded my Denon at the same time to get both UHD and DolbyVision. That one also added DV by software update. My Roku Ultra didn't support DV, and still doesn't, so I added an Apple TV 4K so I could get that. I've since added a FireStick 4K so that I could get Hulu in 5.1. Since then Roku finally has Hulu in 5.1. I'm pretty well covered every which way.... :D

I suggest that we collectively be much more careful about throwing TLAs (Three Letter Acronyms) around. HDR is represented by at least four technologies: HDR10, HDR10+, HLG and Dolby Vision. I don't see much mention of Technicolor's Advanced HDR (even in the LG models that support it) so I left it out.

While HDR10 is widely supported, it is perhaps a weak sister to the other formats that offer dynamic shading.

No problem with that suggestion but you should understand that early devices actually only display "HDR" in the info menu. I can feed it HDR10 10+ and Dolby Vision according to the source and all the projector switches to is "HDR." The program sources usually only list the highest format in the mix. Unless you have a meta data analizer or your equipment can properly tell you which flavor it is working with how do you suggest we post?

Bobby- I haven't checked for Denon updates in awhile. I have a AVR S940 that I upgraded to last year. You remind me to check on that later today. Thanks.

No problem with that suggestion but you should understand that early devices actually only display "HDR" in the info menu.
That's unfortunate, but I believe we still need to distinguish as Dolby Vision isn't available on Samsung TVs and HDR10+ isn't much available outside Samsung in the US.

I'm not aware of any devices that can convert from one HDR scheme to another.

That's unfortunate, but I believe we still need to distinguish as Dolby Vision isn't available on Samsung TVs and HDR10+ isn't much available outside Samsung in the US.

I'm not aware of any devices that can convert from one HDR scheme to another.

Bobby reminded me to check out firmware updates. Maybe that can fix some of these problems. I haven't updated the Projector in over 2 years.

Bobby reminded me to check out firmware updates. Maybe that can fix some of these problems.
I usually check any documentation associated with the update to make sure it is likely to be beneficial to me. Otherwise, if the device works and the patch doesn't claim to fix issues I'm nagged by, fuggedaboutit! Then again, some manufacturers opt to not detail what's been addressed or hide behind the "under the hood" or "numerous improvements" description (Micro$oft is extraordinarilly bad about this -- especially when it comes to updates reminding you that your OS is outdated).

I have good news for me- I checked the latest update for my projector and it has a release dated last year. The docs claim it is to improve compatibility with the Apple TV 4K output.

• Resolves an issue where an irregular image occurs with the 4K signal input in HDR mode (VPL-VW365ES) Does not apply to me
  • Adds the HDR Contrast function to the Picture Menu(when viewing HDR content) to allow adjustment of the average screen brightness I have this now
  • Adds automatic selection of BT.2020 color space when receiving such content I have this now
  • Adds an HDR indicator in the Information Menu when HDR content is being received I have this now
  • Minor bug fixes
  • HDR image quality improvement
  • New Sony unified control protocol (common protocol/ADCP)
  • Picture quality improvements (Reality Creation, etc.)
So nothing about Dolby Vision or HDR10+ vs HDR10 vs HDR. But Sony is often vague so I will do the update and see if it fixes the issues I am having with Disney+

I checked my Denon AVR and it is the latest firmware.

Bobby- I looked at the Disney+ content on the AppleTV 4K and none were listed as Dolby Vision. The ones with HDR were listed as HDR10.
The one that was listed as HDR10 that I could watch was "Remember the Titans" It shows up as 4K 30p HDR in the projector info screen. All the rest I checked with HDR10 are black screen with sound.

On Netflix- I found "Outlaw King" that was Dolby Vision and Atmos in the listings. It plays fine as "HDR" 4K 60p in my projector with Dolby Atmos in the AVR.
On Amazon- I could not find any Dolby Vision content but some with just "4K UHD HDR"

I will repeat the tests tomorrow with the updated firmware. The last time I updated was in 2016.

It seems odd that they list at least three items that you already have.
Agreed so I noted it for the record. Maybe they improved it over the last update that I missed but in the number sequence. It was released in June of 2017. I looked it up and it states it was to fix display problems with HDR in the VPL VW320 so maybe it didn't pertain to my projector.
Updates- 2.300 original
2.301 updated late 2016
2.302 missed it June 2017
2.303 Jan 2020

2.303 Jan 2020 is the month I'm applying the update. According to research the Apple TV 4K system was released in 2017 so the subsequent date of the Sony would be after. Specific dates don't matter as long as it solves the problems as claimed. If not, then maybe another update is called for.

I used to be a beta tester for Sony editing products but I have no contacts in their projector division to see what is in the works.

The update for the projector went well but unfortunately it did not fix the Disney+ content. What didn't play before still doesn't. There was no defined HDR beyond "HDR" with the update. DV still shows up as HDR and plays fine from Netflix. HDR still switches automatically in Amazon, Netflix, AppleTV content ( except Disney+ movies) and Hulu. So to avoid switching the ATV4K settings all the time, I'm just going to set the AppleTV 4K for 4K 60p SDR. Content trumps HDR.

Decided to access my Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon movies with the TIVO Edge Apps and use my ATV4K only for FUBO TV (cable channels) and Disney+ as those are always SDR even though Disney+ claims to be HDR10. (Picture in SDR is better than black screen)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)