Disney Sets Deal To Acquire Most Of Fox, A Game-Changing Deal That Will Redraw Hollywood Landscape

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Really then do you want to tell me why AT&T was busted for blocking Skype and other VOIP solutions in 2009,
Or AT&T was able to disable FaceTime for customers unless they got more money.
Or how Verizon cut off bitstream customers regardless of what they were downloading
Or how Verizon was refusing to increasing peering capacity at internet exchanges until Netflix ponied up cash. Netflix even offered to put caching boxes inside the Verizon network to reduce peering requirements.

Let the market fix it - NOT THE GOVERNMENT.

If you don't like what your provider is doing change providers, there are options, don't give your money to the bad actors.

With so called net neutrality the only difference is the government mandates the same bad practices over all providers becasue the big boys schmooze the regulators to get their way - everyone becomes a bad actor by default.

The internet grew and flourished into the great thing that it is because the government wan NOT controlling it - it was free of regulation.

Do you remember what phone service was like before de-regulation - expensive, klunky you had to get you phone from the phone company, you have to use their services because the bribe the regulators to give them monopolies and they can charge exorbitant fees for services.

Look at the fees the government piles on your cell phone bill. How many hidden government fees make your cell phone bill double, maybe triple what it would be if it were deregulated.

Innovation was the norm, add in government and regulation becomes the norm.

If someone tries to overcharge for faster service - another one will undercut him to take his business. But if the regulators are in there they mandate the overcharges any the people get screwed and have no recourse.

Don't be sucked into the inane arguments that service will suffer, it surely will stagnate if the government regulates it.

Net neutrality's aim was to control content, not prices.

Did you like your internet in 2010, 2012, 2013, yes, well its just like that now, no government interference.

Right. The market is fixing things right now with the Disney/Fox deal...

Government regulations have kept drinking water safe, allowed the disabled better access to public buildings, improved building standards so fires or earthquakes are not as devastating, improved highway safety, improved the health of our rivers, ensured bridges don't collapse, made sure hospitals are near most citizens, tracked economic health, ensured appropriate congressional representation, provided for us to continue to enjoy our natoinal parks and historical sites... and on and on and on.

I'm not saying regulations are always good. Some are stifling or ill conceived, but they do a LOT of good.

It's just too bad the people act like they are always bad. That is intellectually naive and dishonest.

Last edited:
Right. The market is fixing things right now with the Disney/Fox deal...

Government regulations have kept drinking water safe, allowed the disabled better access to public buildings, improved building standards so fires or earthquakes are not as devastating, improved highway safety, improved the health of our rivers, ensured bridges don't collapse, made sure hospitals are near most citizens, tracked economic health, ensured appropriate congressional representation, provided for us to continue to enjoy our natoinal parks and historical sites... and on and on and on.

I'm not saying regulations are always good. Some are stifling or ill conceived, but they do a LOT of good.

It's just too bad the people act like they are always bad. That is intellectually naive and dishonest.

I agree with your post 100%. I just think that this particular regulation was one of the bad ones and am very glad to see it go.

Last edited:
I agree with your post 100%. I just think that this particular regulation was one of bad ones and am very glad to see it go.
It may be, but a poorly written law doesn't mean no law is better. Instead of throwing the baby out with the bath water, get it right.

Reactions: MikeD-C05

If you don't like what your provider is doing change providers, there are options, don't give your money to the bad actors.

With so called net neutrality the only difference is the government mandates the same bad practices over all providers becasue the big boys schmooze the regulators to get their way - everyone becomes a bad actor by default.

The internet grew and flourished into the great thing that it is because the government wan NOT controlling it - it was free of regulation.

Do you remember what phone service was like before de-regulation - expensive, klunky you had to get you phone from the phone company, you have to use their services because the bribe the regulators to give them monopolies and they can charge exorbitant fees for services.

Look at the fees the government piles on your cell phone bill. How many hidden government fees make your cell phone bill double, maybe triple what it would be if it were deregulated.

Innovation was the norm, add in government and regulation becomes the norm.

If someone tries to overcharge for faster service - another one will undercut him to take his business. But if the regulators are in there they mandate the overcharges any the people get screwed and have no recourse.

Don't be sucked into the inane arguments that service will suffer, it surely will stagnate if the government regulates it.

Net neutrality's aim was to control content, not prices.

Did you like your internet in 2010, 2012, 2013, yes, well its just like that now, no government interference.

Really, what other provider? They have all consolidated so I have two choices for Internet access, CentryLink or satellite.
Those fees are often times disguised to seem from the government when in reality they are just the ISP making more money.
When the government changed the rules where the phone company no longer had to lease the copper lines to competing DSL providers all those choices disappeared, reducing competition and increasing DSL prices.
Please tell me what part of the net neutrality rules restricted content, AFAIK the now defunct NN rules were designed to ensure that a user had access to any content out there and that the ISP couldn't restrict access based on content or origination point. Now the ISP can restrict however they would like and charge you extra, for example Verizon could say to you if you want Streaming Media you need to be in Tier 4 at $20 extra a month.

And someone like google can swoop in and say “we will give you unlimited everything for $50”, completely undercutting the current providers. If anything, this may spark more competition out there, to beat out those that think they are too big to fail. Mom and pops about to get more business.

So the market leaders can go back to acting like mob bosses by asking for extortion/protection money? ok.
That's why the big players have lobbyists in Washington. A chunk of campaign money to the right people can pay off big returns when their guy writes the rules to help you raise rates. It used to be that I wasn't so cynical, and I believed that elected politicians and appointed officials had our best interests at heart. Now I laugh at myself for being so naive then.

The article specifically states that the deal includes Fox RSN's: "The agreement encompasses Fox’s prolific film and television studios, its FX and National Geographic cable networks, Fox’s regional sports networks..."

I'd like to see more baseball games on local channels like the old days. I know it ain't gonna happen, but still.
If that's the case. The regional FOX sports channels will become ESPN. I'm willing to bet that they will service similar to that of their Canadian counterpart, TSN. The only difference will be that they won't be numbered like the regional TSN nets are.

Reactions: Annie61
And someone like google can swoop in and say “we will give you unlimited everything for $50”, completely undercutting the current providers. If anything, this may spark more competition out there, to beat out those that think they are too big to fail. Mom and pops about to get more business.
But you can't do that when Cox or someone else has the city manager and the city council on the payroll. That "free market" is just wishful thinking.

Or like the phony free market thinkers right?

So one of those Mom and Pop shops can swoop in with say 10 or 20 billin dollars and create competition right?

So how long till we see this ad?

Internet starting at $29.99(basic)
Facebook $5.00
Basic internet streaming $10.00
Unlimited streaming $50.00

What is most silly is how long till the people around here will be posting about increases from providers?....Like how much ESPN charges, or there faverite internet movie company isnt in there package?

And then when people start losing a need for the internet(ie all their streaming options are gone) they will stop subscribing to the internet causing a loss to the ISP. The ISP will be forced to do something about it, and that will be either raise rates to those remaining loyal, and lose more, or not have the feared tiered packaging. The NN fear mongering is just that. Ultimately, they cannot force customers to pay money. Customers still have a choice to use that luxury.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)