Disney Sets Deal To Acquire Most Of Fox, A Game-Changing Deal That Will Redraw Hollywood Landscape

Net neutrality is a BIG misnomer.

All it is is another government power grab.

The choice is between the internet as it is now and so-called "net neutrality".

The free market is the best arbitrar of the internet as it has been for the last 20 years.

The boogy man arguments about big internet providers are bunk.

If they could do all the nefarious things charged, they would have already done it.

If you want to see the internet die let the government take charge.

If the government had been in charge we would still be using bag phones, there'd be no iPhone or any smart phones.

They killed cellular for 45 years at the behest of the land line phone companies and you want to let them control the internet???

Agreed! Bring back the days of buffering Netflix and bring on the days of paying extra to get Dish Anywhere to work! :rolleyes:

As far as I'm concerned Netflix, etc are getting a free ride and I couldn't care less about them. My DISH Anywhere has always worked fine on my old 7 down .8 up DSL connection which is the best internet we can get here in the sticks, so no problems there either.

I'm in the satellite TV business and IMHO no more government interference making TV over the internet cheaper is good for our business. I hope the carriers charge the hell out of Netflix, Hulu and all the rest of them. That should level the playing field. :biggrin

All I can say is what if NBC/Comcast, blocks all Fox news, slows it down, or charges you more to view it?....They couldnt before, but they sure can now.....People need to look at the big picture.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Just as the boogy man arguments about the boogy man government taking over are bunk too.

If they could do all the nefarious things charged, they would have already done it.
You mean like what Verizon and Comcast have already tried?

This discussion has nothing to do with the grossly misunderstood concept of "net neutrality" AKA Big Government running the internet.

This has to do with a near merger between 2 content providers, neither of which are ISPs in the first place.

This discussion has nothing to do with the grossly misunderstood concept of "net neutrality" AKA Big Government running the internet.

This has to do with a near merger between 2 content providers, neither of which are ISPs in the first place.

This discussion has to do with whatever we choose. Conversations evolve, change, progress.

Don't use Comcast and couldn't care less. People should just watch FOX News on DISH anyway. :biggrin
I am so happy that you have no idea what these new rules mean!
We have had ISP's slowing down Netflix because they had their own product that they wanted to push, thats why the rules where created in the first place....

When it comes to ISP's most people have one or two choices....One being cable, the other a DSL.

I am so happy that you have no idea what these new rules mean!
We have had ISP's slowing down Netflix because they had their own product that they wanted to push, thats why the rules where created in the first place....

When it comes to ISP's most people have one or two choices....One being cable, the other a DSL.

I totally understand what these rules means but it looks like you don't. The internet worked fine before the government tried to take it over in 2015. Personally I hope Netflix, Hulu and the rest are forced to pay for all the bandwidth they're using or they can just go out of business. Either would be fine with me.

Reactions: SamCdbs
Violations
Many broadband operators imposed various contractual limits on the activities of their subscribers. In the best known examples, Cox Cable disciplined users of virtual private networks (VPNs) and AT&T, as a cable operator, warned customers that using a Wi-Fi service for home networking constituted "theft of service" and a federal crime.[164] Comcast blocked ports of VPNs, forcing the state of Washington, for example, to contract with telecommunications providers to ensure that its employees had access to unimpeded broadband for telecommuting applications. These early instances of "broadband discrimination" prompted both academic and government responses. Other broadband providers proposed to start charging service and content providers in return for higher levels of service (higher network priority, faster or more predictable), creating what is known as a tiered Internet. Packets originating from providers who pay the additional fees would in some fashion be given better than "neutral" handling, accelerated or more reliable handling of selected packets.[citation needed]

In October 2007, the Associated Press reported evidence that Comcast had been throttling and frustrating certain BitTorrent operations as part of a traffic management scheme, regardless of what was actually being downloaded.[165][166]

In April 2012, Netflix CEO Reed Hastings criticized Comcast for not following net neutrality principles, alleging that the company was restricting access to popular online video sites to protect its own Xfinity TV service. The criticism followed similar comments from Washington, D.C.-based consumer group Free Press, which said that Comcast's policies gave "the Comcast product an unfair advantage against other Internet video services".[167]

In September 2012, a group of public interest organizations such as Free Press, Public Knowledge and the New America Foundation's Open Technology Institute filed a complaint with the FCC that AT&T was violating net neutrality rules by restricting use of Apple's video-conferencing application FaceTime on cellular networks to those who have a shared data plan on AT&T, excluding those with older, unlimited or tiered data plans.[168]

Use a VPN.
You do know that the technology exists for an ISP to detect the use of a VPN and shut that traffic down. Right you do know that.
MLB.TV, NHL.TV and numerous other streaming providers can detect when you are using a VPN to get streams that should be blacked out in your area and then deny service. They don't always use the technology but they are capable.

Net neutrality is a BIG misnomer.

Really then do you want to tell me why AT&T was busted for blocking Skype and other VOIP solutions in 2009,
Or AT&T was able to disable FaceTime for customers unless they got more money.
Or how Verizon cut off bitstream customers regardless of what they were downloading
Or how Verizon was refusing to increasing peering capacity at internet exchanges until Netflix ponied up cash. Netflix even offered to put caching boxes inside the Verizon network to reduce peering requirements.

You do know that the technology exists for an ISP to detect the use of a VPN and shut that traffic down. Right you do know that.
MLB.TV, NHL.TV and numerous other streaming providers can detect when you are using a VPN to get streams that should be blacked out in your area and then deny service. They don't always use the technology but they are capable.

I'll keep usin' it until they don't let me use it anymore.

Reactions: pattykay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts