Disruptive and unwanted pop-ups Hopper3

jpmarto

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 26, 2007
E. of Seattle
I'm getting an increasing number of annoying pop-ups on my Hopper 3, during DVR playback and live broadcasts. The screen goes blank for second, then the unwanted ads begin. Of course the dialog is in mid-sentence when it happens, so it's hard to get back to where I was before being so rudely interrupted.

It's bad enough I'm spammed on my overpriced cellphone and ISP, et tu Dish?

Does anyone know how to block these ads? They started after I got U539.

Attachments

• 20190907_044823.jpg
    20190907_044823.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 765
Reactions: wormil
I'm getting an increasing number of annoying pop-ups on my Hopper 3, during DVR playback and live broadcasts. The screen goes blank for second, then the unwanted ads begin. Of course the dialog is in mid-sentence when it happens, so it's hard to get back to where I was before being so rudely interrupted.

It's bad enough I'm spammed on my overpriced cellphone and ISP, et tu Dish?

Does anyone know how to block these ads? They started after I got U539.

Do you currently have the TV enhancements feature on? You can check this by going to the Menu > Settings > Notifications > TV Enhancements. -Jasmine D.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I've seen this as well. Local ads pop up randomly during programming both live and recorded. The quickest way out of them is to hit the back button and then search for the spot where it began in the program you were watching. It doesn't make me want to rush to buy the product being advertised though. ;)

I've seen this as well. Local ads pop up randomly during programming both live and recorded. The quickest way out of them is to hit the back button and then search for the spot where it began in the program you were watching. It doesn't make me want to rush to buy the product being advertised though. ;)
Is it pop up ads or tv commercials? What you're talking about are local commercials inserted into regular commercials. Cable companies have done this for years.

Jasmine, I will try the inactivity setting when I get back home. It tells me to press satellite button to go back to TV, however, when I do it does not take back to the interruption point, it makes me guess how much material I've missed.

Howard: these are pop-ups. I've been with Dish since the first year and I know the difference between locally inserted commercials and a pop-up . I'm watching the news and in mid-sentence or syllabal the screen goes blank and then the pop-up appears. Every one has something to do with Dish, and every one of them takes up about 70% of the screen and moves around like a screen-saver on your PC would.

Reactions: wormil and TheKrell
Jasmine, I will try the inactivity setting when I get back home. It tells me to press satellite button to go back to TV, however, when I do it does not take back to the interruption point, it makes me guess how much material I've missed.

Howard: these are pop-ups. I've been with Dish since the first year and I know the difference between locally inserted commercials and a pop-up . I'm watching the news and in mid-sentence or syllabal the screen goes blank and then the pop-up appears. Every one has something to do with Dish, and every one of them takes up about 70% of the screen and moves around like a screen-saver on your PC would.

Please don't call me Jasmine. :biggrin

That description sure sounds like the standby screen saver.

From your description it isn't ads and isn't a pop up - DISH does not do pop ups during programming. (The closet to that is generated from the channel itself in conjunction with DISH when it says to watch this or that program now, hit the remote button). They do not put ads over live programming unless it is during a time there would be a commercial anyway. In fact I bet they are prohibited from doing so even if they wanted to. It sounds like it is the inactivity timer kicking in, and what you are seeing is the screen saver that bounces to avoid burn in, and that contains information from DISH.

It also should be easy to get out of the screen saver, either by hitting the enter button, or some receivers hitting the SAT button on the remote.

Tampa8 - your explanation sounds solid. I called it a pop-up because I have no choice in the matter - I've seen the ones where you're invited to switch to some other programming ignore them and they go away. What confuses me is their increasing frequency, and the fact that they just started recently. It may be inactivity, but it seems to me that, to get to a DVR recording requires "activity".. BTW, at 2:30am it gives me the option to keep watching or update the receiver. What I'm experiencing happens suddenly and without any warning. When I get home I'll see about my inactivity options.

Reactions: Tampa8
BTW, at 2:30am it gives me the option to keep watching or update the receiver.

That's normal and I would call that a pop-up.
What I'm experiencing happens suddenly and without any warning.

That sounds like a software bug or hardware failure to me. (Or you have some naughty children.) I don't have this happen ever, except when I turn the H3 or Joey off, i.e. put them into standby mode.
If you have a way to take a picture of the screen with the pop up it could be helpful.

What's wrong with the attachment in the OP?

What's wrong with the attachment in the OP?

Actually nothing! I missed it. :( That is definitely a standby screen. The receiver is being told to go into standby. It is either a remote signal or an inactivity timer setting. I know the OP said he would check that when he got home. He should disable it. I have disabled that setting for all the years it’s been available.

Reactions: TheKrell
Tampa8 - your explanation sounds solid. I called it a pop-up because I have no choice in the matter - I've seen the ones where you're invited to switch to some other programming ignore them and they go away. What confuses me is their increasing frequency, and the fact that they just started recently. It may be inactivity, but it seems to me that, to get to a DVR recording requires "activity".. BTW, at 2:30am it gives me the option to keep watching or update the receiver. What I'm experiencing happens suddenly and without any warning. When I get home I'll see about my inactivity options.
Hey there, jpmarto. From everything you describe it sounds like 3 different things are happening. The screen shot you provided looks like the Standby Screen, and increasing the Inactivity Timeout will definitely help with that. By default your screen should swap to the Standby Screen, if you don't use your remote for over 4 hours.

The second pop-up sounds like there could be some sort of timer conflict or something of that nature. You will receive a pop-up on your screen when all your timers are in use, and a recording is scheduled to record. This message will ask you if you would like to join another session in progress, join what's scheduled to record, or watch something on your DVR. Does this sound like the message that you've been seeing? Do you normally notice this particular error message at a certain time?

The last pop-up sounds like the nightly update. By default this occurs around 2:00am at night. If you are often seeing this message, we do recommend setting the nightly update to a time you are not using your services. You can find this in the same place that would change the Inactivity Timeout, in the Power Settings. - Caleb S

Caleb: the nightly update I understood, but was suprised it came on at 2:30am, when the preference was 2am. As for a timer conflict, my Hopper3 has 16 tuners, and I doubt we've ever had more than 3 simultaneous timers.

So, in summary, what I'm seeing is the standby screen. I've gone from the original Hopper, to Hopper2, to my Hopper3 and have never before experienced this. I've set my inactivity timer from 4 hours to 8 hours so we'lll see if that helps.

Dish: "Your receiver will go into standy in 15 seconds, press [whatever] to continue viewing...". There, I've made it user-friendly and user-understandable for you.

What I still don't understand is what is considered "activity". I would think turning on receiver, changing channels, viewing the schedule, etc. would be activity that would reset the timer. All things I do consistantly.

JSheridan: :eek I Shirley won't do that again! (I confuse easily, and shouldn't read threads with less than 1.5 reading glasses).

Thanks to all - is this a great forum or what?

Reactions: JSheridan

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts