Distant Network Information

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
This is what the email says.

Due to the overwhelming response to Distant Networks, we are experiencing significant delays with our Network Eligibility & Qualification status. To ensure we establish the proper qualification & connection requirements for you, we will also need your individual unique satellite receiver # (i.e. smart card or access card #).

Thanks for your patience & understanding. Please allow 7 to 10 days for a response.

Smart Card/Access Card # |________________________|

Email address: |__________________________| needed for us to respond back to you,

Well, I just posted my name and address and zip with NPS and they said I do not qualify. What do I do now, I really need to get my distants back, the locals we have stinks, they pre-empted Deal or No Deal last night and do this all the time. I had waivers with Dish. Any advise would be appreciated.

"Locals stink" does not make you eligible for distants. If you got waivers before your locals became available on satellite, you'll have a tough time getting distants again.

This is what the email says.

Due to the overwhelming response to Distant Networks, we are experiencing significant delays with our Network Eligibility & Qualification status. To ensure we establish the proper qualification & connection requirements for you, we will also need your individual unique satellite receiver # (i.e. smart card or access card #).

Thanks for your patience & understanding. Please allow 7 to 10 days for a response.

Smart Card/Access Card # |________________________|

Email address: |__________________________| needed for us to respond back to you,

If they are not "acting in concert", why do they need a smart card # to qualify you? Shouldn't it be your address that qualifies you???

If they are not "acting in concert", why do they need a smart card # to qualify you? Shouldn't it be your address that qualifies you???

The initial response from the website was I don't qualify, but this email came in a short while. It is a rather tricky situation perhaps because it is a Commercial account.

"Locals stink" does not make you eligible for distants. If you got waivers before your locals became available on satellite, you'll have a tough time getting distants again.

I agree completely. It took me years to get waivers (had locals and OTA reception). Only one of the four gave the waiver, with the other 3 I had to just keep requesting until they either wore out or forgot to deny the request (if they do not deny within a certain length of time the waiver is considered granted). Add to that the fact that there are probally some pretty nasty attitudes after the Charlie end run around the ruling (which I think was brillant) and I believe there are going to be alot of disappointed former DNS customers.
Well, I just posted my name and address and zip with NPS and they said I do not qualify. What do I do now, I really need to get my distants back, the locals we have stinks, they pre-empted Deal or No Deal last night and do this all the time. I had waivers with Dish. Any advise would be appreciated.

I got the same thing. Fortunately I just "moved" to NY. Now the networks even have HD channels that would be a long way off at my "previous" address.

DSN Networks Still There

I was going to try and setup my Distant Network Channels with All American just now (noon CST, 12/1), but to my surprise, I still am receiving all my LA Distant Network channels on all 4 of my receivers. I live about half way between Little Rock and Ft Smith in Arkansas. I am also still receiving my locals from Little Rock which I subsribe to. Anyone else still receiving their distants today like I am? Should I wait to contact All American?

Smart Card # on a DP 311 Receiver

Please help out a novice.
I have 4 DP311 receivers, none of them have a smart card that can be removed, the slot is empty when I look into the receiver. If I press the SYS INFO button on the 4 remotes, I get a display that shows a long display starting with the letter R and a long display starting with the letter S. They are all different, so I have 8 different displays on the 4 receivers I am looking at. Which is the smart card number I need to register with All American for my DSN channels, the one starting with R or the one starting with S? Also, do I need to apply 4 separate times with All American, once for each receiver with it's unique smart card number, or will supplying them just one smart card number assuming I qualify for the DSN channels be enough? Do they charge just one $9 fee for all 4 receivers, or will the monthly charge be $36 to get DSN on all 4 receivers as I currently have with Dish. Thanks for the help.

I signed up a couple hours ago at the website. I did qualify and was asked for my credit card information. Everything seemed to go smoothly. Just waiting on the channels to appear in the guide.

Here's an interesting Blog from The Carmel Group

EchoStar vs. DirecTV:
Rupert’s Wile Costs Charlie 800,000 DNS Subscribers

By The Carmel Group’s Jimmy Schaeffler

Most analyzing the recent U.S. district court decision requiring EchoStar December 1 to cease delivering what in industry parlance are called Distant Network Signals (DNS) to an estimated 800,000 DNS subscribers, believe it is a simple battle of EchoStar versus the broadcasters, courts and Congress. Yet closer analysis reveals the real burr in Charlie Ergen’s DNS saddle is his longtime nemesis, the Fox-like News Corp. chairman, Rupert Murdoch.

Murdoch’s 25 owned and operated stations were the sole stand-outs among hundreds of other broadcasters with whom EchoStar was able to reach a $100 mil. settlement late last summer. As such, these 25 Fox affiliates became the card in the deck that Ergen needed in order to win a good share of the pot. Ergen never got that card.

Murdoch, the controlling owner of EchoStar rival DirecTV—which stands to benefit handily from the DNS shutdown of about 6% of EchoStar’s 12.5 mil. estimated subscribers—was instead able to use his 25 O & O stations’ denial to convince the district court that it had no other choice than to enforce the statutory remedy that required turn-off of all DNS signals, no matter the settlement reached with the other 700 or so network affiliates. This included a turn off of what The Carmel Group estimates are less than 200,000 illegal and more than 600,000 legal DNS subscribers.

So just what are Distant Network Signals?

According to EchoStar’s October 23, 2006 press release, “Distant network channels are ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox broadcast channels that originate from a market outside the community in which a subscriber lives.” The idea behind the DNS system is to permit satellite TV subscribers who can’t get good local off-air broadcasts from their local transmitters the right to receive network signals, even if that means they see another city’s local programs and advertisements.

And where does the DNS issue stand today?

For one, EchoStar’s current options appear to be limited. Notes outside NAB counsel, North Carolina-based Wade Hargrove, “The affiliates are comfortable with the court’s decision and are not inclined to appeal. They continue to review their options and have not ruled out an appeal. Nonetheless, this is the result they sought from the beginning.” Positions like this make it less likely that courts will overturn the DNS death penalty. And in part because of the power wielded by the NAB – and Murdoch—in Congress, it’s unlikely that EchoStar will get the legislative relief it seeks, at least before a new Congress starts up in late January (following the November 7 elections). What this means is that EchoStar will have to actually turn off the legal and illegal DNS subscriptions, because neither the courts nor Congress are likely to step in before December 4. Adds longtime DC-based network affiliate counsel Robert Rini, “I’m not sure there’s an appetite in Congress today to deal with a single company issue vis-a-vis the other major telecom issues out there now.” Longer term, EchoStar will try to get Congress to alter the DNS rulings and rules, so that DISH Network can again supplement its bottom line with the $5/month revenues from hundreds of thousands of DNS viewers.

What will become of those 800,000 DNS subscribers? That is where Murdoch reenters the fray. A smaller number are likely to migrate to either cable or telephone video providers. A tiny number will leave multichannel pay TV service altogether. Yet most will likely stick with EchoStar after it either switches them over to receipt of local signals by way of local-into-local subscriptions, or upon installation of a standard, old-fashioned off-air antenna. But many of the 600,000 legal subs – even if the prior solutions are offered for free—will turn off their EchoStar subscriptions and switch over to DirecTV. This suggests a bump in the DirecTV subscriber roles for 4Q ’06 and 1Q ’07. When that happens, DirecTV stands to gain more than $60/month in revenues, which from 100,000 subscribers, equals almost $75 mil. a year.

At age 75, Murdoch may have become a much older fox, but as Ergen, at 53, can attest (more emphatically than ever after this latest DNS brawl), Murdoch remains a still remarkably wily old Fox (and rival).

I was going to try and setup my Distant Network Channels with All American just now (noon CST, 12/1), but to my surprise, I still am receiving all my LA Distant Network channels on all 4 of my receivers. I live about half way between Little Rock and Ft Smith in Arkansas. I am also still receiving my locals from Little Rock which I subsribe to. Anyone else still receiving their distants today like I am? Should I wait to contact All American?

I live in West TN and I am still receiving my Chicago distants.

Here's an interesting Blog from The Carmel Group

Pure tripe. With saying the next two sentences, the author has lost any credibility and can be safely disregarded has having anything useful to say on the subject.

Murdoch’s 25 owned and operated stations were the sole stand-outs among hundreds of other broadcasters with whom EchoStar was able to reach a $100 mil. settlement late last summer. As such, these 25 Fox affiliates became the card in the deck that Ergen needed in order to win a good share of the pot. Ergen never got that card.
the end is here

I'm surprised anyone got rejected for distants. I should have and didn't so I figured everyone could get them. I should only qualify for Fox but according to my submission to NPS I could get them all. I doubt NPS would qualify me if I wanted them thru my Cband 920???? Is it any wonder Dish got in trouble in the first place?

where did my eastcoast feed go?

i contacted the local providers in eugene and received approval for distant networks. this is evaluated based on being in an area where i cannot receive their signal with an antenna. now apparently i have lossed the distant networks and i am forced to pay additionally for eugene local stations. i don't mind having them but i am also willing to pay for my eastcoast and west coast feeds out of LA & NYC. this is crucial to my freedom and enjoyment of television. i also understand that dish network is unwilling to share those payments with the local stations. that is wrong and they should be made to do so.

this is bs to take away the option of east coast and west coast feeds if we are willing to pay for it. why can't dish negotiate with the locals and give them some money from us?

it is very upsetting

Thank you for helping.

yojg

You must have your hibernation backwards, did you just wake up?

Instead of "rent a lobbyist" the plaintiffs must be "rent a poster" to do post on this forum so they can add it to the legal papers.

Well i went to sign up for my distant networks, and i was told i was not eligible. I am obviously in a white zone here in the U.P. of michigan.

:mad:

Very annoying.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts