Distant Networks and Grandfather Clause

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Ddevil

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 24, 2005
Phoenix
I just got off the phone with Retention (working on the NFL Package...) and in conversation with her, she mentioned how I have the "VIP Channels" or as I always thought they were called, the DNS (she stated that I am grandfathered into it). I am considering upgrading to the Genie setup, but am worried about losing my DNS service. She said she did not think that would trigger a loss of it.

I then asked, "what happens if I move to a different house or city?" and she seemed to believe (she couldn't say for sure) that as long as I kept my account open, I would have the DNS service.

Does anyone know if that is true and what exactly what would trigger a loss of my DNS service?

Last edited:
Changing your base package is the only thing I know of for sure. Be advised, if you change it, they can only change it back on the same day, so don't believe the "try it, and if you don't like it you can go back" thing, that's just a CSR that doesn't actually know what they are talking about.
Adding and removing extra's (like HBO, Sports Pack.. things like that) won't do it.
As far as moving goes.. If you go through the "Movers Connection" or whatever they're called, they usually set up a new account at the new address, and a new account would DEFINITELY do it.

Equipment changes should never affect programming.

Thanks for the replies. This might be splitting hairs, but if I was able keep my billing address the same as it is now and then I were to move (physically move, not "move" :) ) service addresses, would that keep me on the same account and not have them set up a new account?

Changing your service address may void any grandfathered channels.

Many full-time RV'ers change the service address as they move about the country so they can receive locals where they are parked. Seasonal changes are common but beyond that DirecTV is stubborn.

Switching to a whole-home system in a house will definitely kill one's DNS access. it is only available to truckers, RV'ers, boaters and those who cannot receive DirecTV provided locals.

Many full-time RV'ers change the service address as they move about the country so they can receive locals where they are parked. Seasonal changes are common but beyond that DirecTV is stubborn.

Switching to a whole-home system in a house will definitely kill one's DNS access. it is only available to truckers, RV'ers, boaters and those who cannot receive DirecTV provided locals.
I went whole home and still have my grandfathered distants ...

Why should it? DNS has nothing to do with whole home. One is hardware and the other is programming.

Why should it? DNS has nothing to do with whole home. One is hardware and the other is programming.

Getting whole home won't affect DNS. The only things that will affect DNS are a change in your programming package, or moving to a different DMA.

I still believe , "Switching to a whole-home system in a house will definitely kill one's DNS access. it is only available to truckers, RV'ers, boaters and those who cannot receive DirecTV provided locals." You aren't supposed to have DNS in a sticks and bricks home unless outside a local DMA. DirecTV does not do RV installs so an order for a DECA install "should" or "could" result in the loss of DNS. Do lots of folks slip through the cracks? Absolutely. Do lots of people have DNS from both coasts? Absolutely. When I signed up in '97 I got a waiver. When I went HD in 2007, I lost DNS. Dish got into touble being loosey-goosie passing out DNS access.

There are posters that said they didn't lose their DNS when they got whole home. When you got hd in 2007, did you start receiving your local channels in hd?

You're ignoring the words "grandfather clause". There are many people living in houses who have DNS, because they had the service before the FCC changed the rules for DNS, and they are "grandfathered" into the DNS service. I had "grandfathered" DNS until about eight years ago when I moved house, because I had DNS since way before the FCC tightened down on its availability.

You're ignoring the words "grandfather clause". There are many people living in houses who have DNS, because they had the service before the FCC changed the rules for DNS, and they are "grandfathered" into the DNS service. I had "grandfathered" DNS until about eight years ago when I moved house, because I had DNS since way before the FCC tightened down on its availability.
This, that's why it's a "Grandfather Clause".

I suspended my account due to a cross country move, was reinstalled when I found a home and used movers connection also. My DNS stations were still there and have been for the last two years since. It all depends on who notices all of the details on Directv's end.

Upgrading equipment or change in package WILL NOT trigger DNS disconnection. Do not bring it up to begin with, secondly if you move to another DMA do a suspend of account prior. If you utilize Movers Connection the installer will reactivate your account just as it was before move.

As you say, it seems to depend on "who notices" at the DirecTV end. But going to whole home will definitely not lose you DNS.

I still believe , "Switching to a whole-home system in a house will definitely kill one's DNS access. it is only available to truckers, RV'ers, boaters and those who cannot receive DirecTV provided locals." You aren't supposed to have DNS in a sticks and bricks home unless outside a local DMA. DirecTV does not do RV installs so an order for a DECA install "should" or "could" result in the loss of DNS. Do lots of folks slip through the cracks? Absolutely. Do lots of people have DNS from both coasts? Absolutely. When I signed up in '97 I got a waiver. When I went HD in 2007, I lost DNS. Dish got into touble being loosey-goosie passing out DNS access.

See my other posts. But getting DNS through a waiver is NOT the same as grandfathered DNS. If you got DNS under the "new" FCC rules because you could not get the channel, then you should lose it when the channel becomes available.

As far as moving goes.. If you go through the "Movers Connection" or whatever they're called, they usually set up a new account at the new address, and a new account would DEFINITELY do it.

They do not set up a new account. Your account number does not change either.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)