DIY coax tightening tool

Lee60

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 4, 2014
California
I've been fiddling with a bunch of switches as of late. My multi switches outputs are way to close together for my ol' fingers. I bought a $10 tool on amazon and it was awful. Returned it. So I scrounged around in my tool boxes and came up with four 7/16" deep sockets. One 12 point worked best allowing the coax connector to seat all the way down.
So today I grabbed my angle grinder and a new cut off disc and went at it. Deburred with a couple files. The grinder got away from me and made a mark near the base or I would have called it perfect. Anyway it works great. Has anyone else made one of these?
20230614_192751.jpg
20230614_192853.jpg

As you can tell I love making stuff!

I've been fiddling with a bunch of switches as of late. My multi switches outputs are way to close together for my ol' fingers. I bought a $10 tool on amazon and it was awful. Returned it. So I scrounged around in my tool boxes and came up with four 7/16" deep sockets. One 12 point worked best allowing the coax connector to seat all the way down.
So today I grabbed my angle grinder and a new cut off disc and went at it. Deburred with a couple files. The grinder got away from me and made a mark near the base or I would have called it perfect. Anyway it works great. Has anyone else made one of these?View attachment 162796View attachment 162797
I believe there are factory built tools like that already.

Amazon product ASIN B01DU2TAI2
View: https://www.amazon.com/BXQINLENX-Professional-Extraction-Surveillance-Screwdriver/dp/B01DU2TAI2/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3QR7FMIZNZID5&keywords=f-59+connector+installation+tool&qid=1686861152&sprefix=f-59+connector+installation+tool%2Caps%2C121&sr=8-5

Reactions: harshness and Lee60
You are correct. I bought a different version than the one you linked. Also from amazon. Unfortunately it was not only poorly made you had to force it onto the connector. So I returned it the same day it arrived. My tool is way beefier.
I had considered applying skate board type tape but I think a snug connector is as tight as you should go to avoid damage.

Yep, it works fine but there is nothing like making your own. Nice work! :thumbup
A win-win. Two things I like to do combined. Build stuff and FTA.
Thank you for the kind words!

Added plus: maybe this thread will show others that there is another way to screw those connectors on.

Reactions: FTA4PA
So today I grabbed my angle grinder and a new cut off disc and went at it. Deburred with a couple files. The grinder got away from me and made a mark near the base or I would have called it perfect. Anyway it works great. Has anyone else made one of these?View attachment 162796View attachment 162797
Nice! If I had a lathe or at least a course file, I think I would try to knurl the outer surface for a better grip. That might just be my arthritic hands talking though. ;)

Reactions: Lee60